The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metals406

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
Set an alarm man! then forget it...

Cracked my last vented gas can today, the nice ones with the flexible spout that you pull out... Now all I've got is the assnine CA legal crap we're forced to buy and then modify so they work properly. Of course the cap is going to get lost almost instantly and the schrade valve isn't exactly gasoline rated... but its better then wait five minutes to fill one saw with go juice. glug glug glug... :chop::blob2:
http://ezpourspout.com/

Annnnd. . . You're welcome.

bitzer

bitzer

******** Timber Expert
Yeah just rinse yer oil jugs. They're cheap. Make sure you use a different shape/color jug than yer oil though. Or at least different color caps. Nice work in the video. Drives me nuts when I see you west coast guys fumblin around for yer axe though! Not sure why you guys like havin to look for stuff. That second one took the first wedge pretty easy. I figured a tickling of the hinge would have gotten it over. I forget that your trees can sit back a little easier than mine. I don't know whats behind ya there either though. Hope yer gettin paid extra for workin around all them houses!

northmanlogging
Its not so much that we like looking for stuff as that that axe is heavy and awkward. Tis easier to look for it than to have it hang up on underbrush and whatnot, normally it would have been a tad closer, not sure why I left it that far away.

There is a house and shop about 50' behind where I fell those, The better video would have been the snag I dropped between the two, but I'm still figuring out my new camera... turn out mic on is like the clapper and it turns on or off with sharp noises... guess it helps to read the manual first...

SliverPicker

SliverPicker

ArboristSite Guru
Ditto. I cracked my last "normal person" spout on the last job.

For oil I haven't found anything better than a 5 quart Castrol oil jug. The spout protrudes just enough to make pouring into the saw effortless. For gas a windshield pisser juice container is great. They are tougher than a bleach jug or bar oil jug.

I think about a half dozen EZ Pours are in my future. Thanks for the link.

"set an alarm" What's an alarm?:confused:

northmanlogging
I took on some axe throwing dudes awhile back with my old craftsman 3.5 pounder, most of them where using double headed hatchets... I feel I did OK...

unfortunately the ole craftsman has suffered a broken handle since then and I haven't had time to replace it, I'll need to fire up the forge and reshape the eye after using it for a jack plate, with luck I should be able to get the original temper back.

Metals406

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
I took on some axe throwing dudes awhile back with my old craftsman 3.5 pounder, most of them where using double headed hatchets... I feel I did OK...

unfortunately the ole craftsman has suffered a broken handle since then and I haven't had time to replace it, I'll need to fire up the forge and reshape the eye after using it for a jack plate, with luck I should be able to get the original temper back.
You should be able to, just run a few normalizing cycles after forging to shrink the grain and run a good long temper after hardening. If it were me, I'd heat it to 425 for an hour or so. Maybe draw the eye a bit further after with a torch, I'm a big believer in differential treat.

northmanlogging
Yeah, got to iron it out first, probably a good idea to anneal first though,

Figure I'll do the torch thing until the color runs to straw at the blade edge, full anneal on the poll... at least that's the plan...

For now I'm waiting on cooler weather and more rain, its still just a touch hot to be playing with coal. Not to mention a few days off from logging.

That and I'll need to forge up a drift. Got a buddy that wants to forge weld some cable and make himself a knife anyway.

northmanlogging
Knocked over the end of that fence today... the missus has a wide ass...

Also for the record if you happen to be in a Home Gyppo hardware store and you happen to still be wearing calks, no one gives a ****... it does make cornering and stopping interesting though.

hammerlogging

hammerlogging

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well now then ya'll know what its like to walk on a hickory log with anything but brand new calks- some hickory stumps you'll just slide across.

I picked up an old cutting contract that's sort of on the cusp of the Blue Ridge from the lower elevation Valley and Ridge. So in one day I cut lowland hickory, black walnut, scarlet oak, white oak, chestnut oak, but also the more usual nice northern red oak, soft maple, hard maple, poplar, ash, and if I'd stuck it out another hour or two I saw some cherry up in the cut. Easy ground. good job.