The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rwoods

rwoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
IIRC, the Council is based on the Dayton pattern which has a shorter poll than a rafting axe. I have seen a few short poll axes with busted or bulging eyes. I assume this is because the weight of the axe in concentrated in the cheek and the poll and eye may not have been designed for driving whatever the user had been driving. I don't know that driving plastic wedges can hurt a Dayton pattern. But I like old school and old steel so that is why I looked for a rafting axe. My axe didn't cost me any more than a new 5# Council with shipping. Just took a lot of patience to find as there are about 800 new "axe" listings a day on eBay. Those found with easy search terms are bid up pretty quick. Ron

northmanlogging
Ah, well the poll technically isn't supposed to be hitting anything, ever... its only there for weight, but when your in the sticks a hammer is just extra weight...

A lot of folks use an axe to pound on steel splitting wedges or worse a hammer to pound on an axe to split wood... both are bad for the axe and dangerous for the user, especially if its my axe...

Been abusing mine for over a year now, I've only sharpened it twice, once when new, and again a few weeks ago... after digging it into the ground pretty hard...
They shave hair when I'm done with em, not wise or smart for tool carried in the hand while crashing through neck deep brush... but so far only the one bad cut and that was from a bounce back while pounding wedges (second day I owned it or so...)

The councils feel like old steel to me, they eat up a file pretty quick, and a stone will whisk along, without digging in and grinding. and once done with the stone they take on luster that only good steel gets... soft steel looks dull and flat after a touch up with a stone...

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
and i calculated at 108" x 60" x 20. 30950. going to haul it on a equipment trailer rated at about 25k . think im going to have to short buck the butt. was hoping to slab out some 20's .
You said 20% taper so that put the small end a touch over 80". I would think it would be a little lighter than that.

slowp
OK. I've got my Pointy Trailer home, and the fridge is fixed. Here's the new discovery, but I think it happened on the last camping trip. I was plugged into shore power and had a space heater going. There was a flash and the heater went off. I hit a reset button on the plug in and it started up again.

I got the trailer home from the fridge repair yesterday. I went in to turn on the interior lights and nothing. The same for the furnace. I've got it plugged into the house now and it all works.

I'm assuming that I need to check the battery and then go on to fuses? I'm asking this because most loggers are pretty good at fixing stuff and maybe have had this happen.

This is the third thing to go wrong in a month's time with the Pointy Trailer. The first mishap is a total mystery. Oh well.

Gologit

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.
OK. I've got my Pointy Trailer home, and the fridge is fixed. Here's the new discovery, but I think it happened on the last camping trip. I was plugged into shore power and had a space heater going. There was a flash and the heater went off. I hit a reset button on the plug in and it started up again.

I got the trailer home from the fridge repair yesterday. I went in to turn on the interior lights and nothing. The same for the furnace. I've got it plugged into the house now and it all works.

I'm assuming that I need to check the battery and then go on to fuses? I'm asking this because most loggers are pretty good at fixing stuff and maybe have had this happen.

This is the third thing to go wrong in a month's time with the Pointy Trailer. The first mishap is a total mystery. Oh well.

There might be a good used Casita for sale in a couple of years.

Gologit

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.
A little off topic but does Primal Scream Therapy really work? I may need to use it soon and I'd hate to waste my time on something of no value.

We're moving and we've reached that stage in the process where a lot of conversations go like this..."Have you seen the...insert name of object...? " "Uh, I think that's packed in a box already". "Okay, which box?" "Dunno, one of the boxes in the garage. I think." There are forty seven boxes in the garage, taped, sealed, marked for contents by what the majority of the contents are. But not always.

Or..."Where's the....I need it and I can't find it anywhere?" "Hmmm...I think that's at the other house". Since the other house is three hundred miles away it kinda precludes running over there for a quick look.

These conversations are usually followed by one or the other of us going outside...alone...for some quiet time.

If Primal Scream Therapy really works it's probably cheaper than booze or Valium. It might upset the neighbors a little but since we're moving anyway....

slowp
Well, not primal, but exclamations of ALL RIGHT were emanating from the Pointy Trailer. I don't know what the problem was. It must've been a loose something. I pulled a couple of the little fuses, looked at them, put them back in, then for good measure flipped two breaker switches, then tried out a light, and it came on! All the two lights work and the furnace comes on so I guess I fixed whatever it was. No Casita needed, yet. For good measure, I looked at the water in the battery. All is good.

Oh, no big hammer was used. A screwdriver and needlenose pliars and flashlight were what was used for whatever I did....does that make any sense???

Metals406

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
A little off topic but does Primal Scream Therapy really work? I may need to use it soon and I'd hate to waste my time on something of no value.

We're moving and we've reached that stage in the process where a lot of conversations go like this..."Have you seen the...insert name of object...? " "Uh, I think that's packed in a box already". "Okay, which box?" "Dunno, one of the boxes in the garage. I think." There are forty seven boxes in the garage, taped, sealed, marked for contents by what the majority of the contents are. But not always.

Or..."Where's the....I need it and I can't find it anywhere?" "Hmmm...I think that's at the other house". Since the other house is three hundred miles away it kinda precludes running over there for a quick look.

These conversations are usually followed by one or the other of us going outside...alone...for some quiet time.

If Primal Scream Therapy really works it's probably cheaper than booze or Valium. It might upset the neighbors a little but since we're moving anyway....
Moved again? Good thing I'm not in the midst of sending you springboard shoes. [emoji14]

Did you go further north?

Latest posts