The Diary of a Chain Builder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You seem to be alittle high strung jokers, greetings by the way. Sorry if my questions have offended anybody, they were not ment to, especially Gypo logger.

I'am seriously trying to buy a good race chain for a couple of events I go to every year in the southern Sierra's. At Shaver Lake the man to beat is George Harrison, he wins everything, and I would like to change this. This is why I approached Gypo logger with some questions, and I have alot more to ask if this doesn't turn into a circus.

I do know alittle about saw chain, because my dad and uncles were all loggers and I too fell timber for a time, but I have moved on to SoCal now and become a road builder.

My time is short, so talk with you later there Gypo logger.
Bernie

Last edited:
Bernard,

I probably have too much caffeine in my bloodstream. BTW, there is no offense intended by my earlier remarks although that may not be evident. I just want to be upfront with everyone that serious ballbreaking or character assassination is not tolerated here. Otherwise, you`ll hardly know that I`m lurking most times.

Gypo is a ringleader and Master of Ceremonies, and sometimes we have a circus. All in fun right? Fire away with your questions, it should be interesting.

Russ

Hi Bernie, no need to worry, I got the chain here for you. Check out how fast it cuts. I chopped the back of the cutters off, now all I need to do is hollow out under the top plate.
The Basswood log was 9.25" dia. The chain is 35RS off the square grinder on a muffler moded 346, sporting a 13" Oregon bar, but I think my 72CL is faster.
Too bad Fales and Cahoon have been silenced, otherwise they could give me some tips on making it faster, as I am all ears and eyes now. LOL

Another chain

Gypo,
Here is another chain I aquired.
Rakers could be a bit lower, but seems to be a decent chain.
Hunter

Hey Hunter,

Looks like you`ve got the knack for square grinding. Which machine are you using?

Russ

I did it on the Swing Arm.
Thats the first chain I have ever done. Its no race chain but should be a moderatly fast work chain.
Hunter

so now it looks like we should have a east coast grinding match to see who grinds the best chain , it is not fair for me to be in this cause i have alot more hours playing with a grinder so if you want i can be a judge but we have to wait until NBlogger has some time to play with his new swing arm that is still sitting in my truck
so
in one corner we have the world famous gypo , the chain man himself
in the other corner we have Jerod the gaint, Gypo think before you try to beat him he may not like it and your ass is grass and he is a lawnmower
now we have NBlogger and who esle wants in on this
rules to follow

Last edited:
sorry i forgot Marky Mark has a swingarm as well so he should be in this as well, now gypo to be fair you have to dress your own stone ok

Should be hand filed only; that'll separate the men from the boys!. 'Sides filing is faster even if its slower!

Frank

Frank
silvey does not like your thinking , they think everyone should own at least 2 silvey grinders and the good ones should have at least 3

dont exclude yourself ehp.. u just wait til i get me one ob them things yall got..
i grind a chain that ll put yours to shane.
misspelled on purpose fer rhyming purposes..:)

Ehp; I hear ya. Maybe Santa will hear me too. I timed some cuts last night with a new Carlton round chisel. Will go out and square file it and retime it.

Frank

Hi chainsaw nerds and woodticks. I made a few more refinements from ideas I stole from you all.
Jarod, that chain should cut real well. This is fun isn't it?
Ed, will you take the 3 hour drive and dress my wheel again? I'll trade you some 30" Basswood.
John

If i get enough time i will drive down as long as you video a 460 for me and a 357 , not sure if the dolmar will be ready but i hope so by tomorrow, then i can fall all those whitepine for you , we should be done by lunch right you said only 100 trees right
Frank there is a huge difference between round and square and you will see that plus square cuts so much easier.
No Tony i will just try to help guys with there grinders , it may not seem to be but there is alot more to grinding a fast chain then most people thing there is, just ask gypo

John,
That looks really good. Not that I know what to look at.LOL
Thanks for the new ideas. Guess I will have to steal some more of your techniques. I might have to come up again myself, so Ed can adjust my grinder as well.

I will try to get this chain in some wood soon and test a fresh round ground chain. Mike Mass wanted some comparison and I think my hand might be healed enough to fire the saw up.

Hunter

Hi Gypo logger I would like to trade you a chain so we can compare. What do say about that? Maybe you and me can learn a thing or 3. Fred

Back