The Diary of a Chain Builder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by jokers
I have in my possession a chain which was de-chromed by Ken Dunn which has minute remnants of the corner radius leading me to believe that Ken`s objective was not to remove the radius, but rather the chrome as was his stated intention. ... [illuminaries cited] can`t get a chromed cutter any sharper than the thickness of the chrome ...
Okay, I can see that (even if I've not stayed at a Holiday Inn recently, whatever that means), and now that you mention it, it seems as though I can now recall having read it.  So was the chrome removed from your chain in a parallel-to-the-surface manner or does it look somewhat like my field-dechromed chain?
A perfect convergence of the inside angles on the tooth would be likely to cause turbulent flow of the chips wouldn`t it? [ then some "spud" logic about fluid dynamics]
Since the molecules forming the chips/dust are not so generally "disassociated" as those forming air I'd think boundary layers wouldn't be so much of a factor.  It might be a good idea to form a radiused "tunnel" along the inside of the corner (if you wanted the cutter to bypass chips while disturbing them the least, which sounds rather counter-productive in the big picture), but not at the expense of having the cutting edges extend as completely to the corner as possible.

It certainly would be more of an as<i></i>s-pain to stone the beveled (inner) edge of the cutter, but I bet it would produce a better result.&nbsp; Some day I may try to build a chain instead of just talk about it...

Glen

Some day I may try to build a chain instead of just talk about it...

When you do you can trade all your technical bull$hit in for facts. Fred

Originally posted by Hatchet Jack
Some day I may try to build a chain instead of just talk about it...

When you do you can trade all your technical bull$hit in for facts. Fred
Why the attack, Fred?&nbsp; Just because a person doesn't understand technical stuff at face value doesn't meant it ain't how stuff really works.

Glen

Hey jokers when is the last time you sharpen your drive tang? Fred

Well since you asked, I just did one! LOL.

Actually there seems to be some confusion, probably on my part, and consequently I haven`t adequately communicated to you what I`m thinking Fred. What I`m asking you is, are you making the sideplates uniform in offset from some baseline? I used the side of the drive tangs as an example of a theoretical baseline but maybe I should have said the side of the bar or something. I`m trying to figure out what you mean when you say "Your making every tooth the same width on the vertical edge.".

Is the "vertical edge" that you refer to the sideplate?

Russ

Russ, I think you're talking over his head.&nbsp; Draw him a picture with stick-men.

Glen

No attack from me glens. Go a head and tell us how to stone one then fuzzy britches. Fred
Not in this thread, of course, but I've previously discussed stones here which would be suitable for such a task.

Glen

oh where oh where could gypo be, gypo phone home , the bus is leaving and you are not on it, pack up your might saw colletion and lets get at her
there is money to be made , asses to kick , but it could be ours .

Is the "vertical edge" that you refer to the sideplate?

Yes jokers.

Not in this thread, of course, but I've previously discussed stones here which would be suitable for such a task. Glen

I did not say discuss stones Glen. I said tell us how to stone a chain. Have you ever stoned one? You already said you never have built a race chain. Expert opinions are a dime a dozen now aren't they. Fred

The chain is disassembled to grind material from the cutters inside mounting surface, moving the cutter in about 12 thou. The cutting edge of the cutter is not touched yet as reassembly, rivet spinning etc would surely dull it. Front of raker profile is changed to improve boring capability and cut over nose, reduce weight etc. Rear of tooth is reprofiled also if desired and for weight reduction before asssembly. Final sharpening has to be done after initial side dressing of tooth or you will wind up with a big top beak. A lot of work to gain maybe 5% speed. Over 50 hours work to make the grinding jig and do up a chain for a 16" bar. I am approaching the stoning carefully, because if you go an ounce too far the whole works is scrap!

Frank

Fred I am willing to believe that. The first chains I built, I narrowed the outside of the cutter but kept the new surface parallel with the old so needed a jig. I lost a few chains to lifted top plates for thinning too much. Stoning is not as exacting it seems and leaves more meat in the tooth so will have to work on a system for that.

Frank

Latest posts

Back