The Fire Pit Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
images

tractor rims work great too.:givebeer:

Reggie, a Swedish candle is easy. You make chain saw cuts from the top down in a log that is standing on its end. You can see them in that picture. Then you add small starter materials to the center where all of the cuts intersect and light them. Because the heat has no place to escape, the fire soon starts to burn into the log itself and looks just like that picture. Note, rip cuts in a log can dull a chain fast. You definitely want to start with a nice dry round of firewood.
Thanks...plan on doing a few of them this winter! :clap:

Gettin this little pit cranked up on the back patio tonight...ready to park my rear end, with a Bud Light. Saw four deer this morning, three does and a little basket rack 6-pointer...you coulda slung all their asses in a wide Walmart grocery cart...after three days of rain, 3/4 moon last night, when it finally broke...they just wasn't cooperating this morning...were feeding heavy til sunup under that moon. Tomorrow's another day...
ed1f44e0395f86ced49965f10c8ec158.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Don't forget the problem solving of world crisis, and feats of engineering. Well that may be from certain beverages but they go hand in hand, peas and carrots or however you wanna call it

Lay out tin foil, put sliced potatoes in. Then slices of onion. Then about a stick of butter in pats or melted butter spread over the mix. Finally empty a pack of onion soup mix over the top. Cover with foil, roll up the bottom foil so the butter doesn't run out. Bake, throw on grill, or coals until cooked.
I do that very same recipe minus the onion soup mix.
Instead I use multilayered sliced onion then potato with margarine and garlic and onion powder over each layer in heavy foil paper. Comes out wonderful and everyone of my family and friends that has had some always asks me to make it for BBQs and gatherings.
It's yummy.

Little fire pit action again this evening. No one but me and my four-legged gal. Sometimes it's good that way...ain't gotta hear no lip from nobody, no nothing. I'm sure most of you fellas can relate. The only noise is the game on tv in the shop, and tops poppin' on the Bud Lights.

868944d74489063f9c8fc9780bd06fa7.jpg

3daa4eefaf03cfbf5b557cc19e391a2f.jpg

Got a little fire rollin' this evening...just me and my little four-legged galfriend. Nothing but peace and quiet. Topped out around 77 degs today...been in a short sleeve shirt, shorts, and flip flops all day. And to think, it was at freezing or a couple degrees below, three nights less than a week ago. Made a heaping pile of kindling earlier with the ol' Estwing Fireside Friend and a 4lb little sledge to drive/tap the Estwing kindling apart...red oak, white oak, pecan, hickory. Little pine too.
c1f2dcf0059e2b9e839a6de199e279a0.jpg

Reloaded my kindling/split rack I built for under the carport yrs ago. Some of the splits at bottom are still there from last year...probably oughta do a little rotational thing, lol. It's all good. I got about 2.5/3 cords maybe, underneath a shed roof in the back yard that I transport in btwn. I give a couple of my nephews a fair amount every year...next year they put up or shut up. Choice is theirs...they're in their early/late teens, enabling gets nipped in the bud after this year. My brother, their dad, simply enabled them their entire lives...I'll help them this year...and the bus ride comes to a screeching halt. I'm sure some of you fellas know exactly what I mean...time for them boys to sweat for wood.
a7f06212cfca7191e3fc984ae1b1dbfe.jpg

This pic from back in May. Before the night was over there was as much fire under the pit as over it. 2nd one to burn through in the last 10 years or so.

IMG_0101.jpg

Started this project first of September. Used my fil's electric tiller to break the ground up. I was only gonna go down about 4 or 5 inches but the tiller made it so easy went down 10 inches. The patio used to have lava rock all around it. Part of this project was to dig up the rock. I figured this was as good a place as any for most of it.

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

This was last night.

IMG_0409.jpg

This pic from back in May. Before the night was over there was as much fire under the pit as over it. 2nd one to burn through in the last 10 years or so.

IMG_0101.jpg

Started this project first of September. Used my fil's electric tiller to break the ground up. I was only gonna go down about 4 or 5 inches but the tiller made it so easy went down 10 inches. The patio used to have lava rock all around it. Part of this project was to dig up the rock. I figured this was as good a place as any for most of it.

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

This was last night.

IMG_0409.jpg
There ya go...nice pit action. Looks like ya got a nice setup around the fire...plenty of seats. Good times for shooting the **** and drinkin Anheuser products.

Back