The "Firing it up" thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have had a couple small fires to take the chill off, wife said she was going to turn on the furnace if I didnt build a fire. Wood is cheaper than gas, plus I don't have to deal with her cold feet.:bang:

Last night, and again tonight. First frost of the season overnight (10/5-6) and the VC Defiant USEPA non-cat POS actually worked without issue, at least for the moment. Still hate it, but the fire is nice. Dogs agree. -WSJ

Last night, and again tonight. First frost of the season overnight (10/5-6) and the VC Defiant USEPA non-cat POS actually worked without issue, at least for the moment. Still hate it, but the fire is nice. Dogs agree. -WSJ

Funny how all the dogs and cats "gather round", hardly enough room for the humans sometimes!

Dang, if it gets much warmer I'm going to be a lot closer to turning the air back on than lighting another fire.

It was below freezing this AM, and the wood stove's "goin'" , but It's supposed to be back up in the high 70's by midweek. Hope I don't have to turn on the A/C again this fall, but probably will!!

Think our first was Sept 15th this year. Only had to start a couple since then, which is fine since I still have lots of wood work to do!

There is something nice about feeling the radiant heat from the woodstove while having the front door open for fresh air :D

(40-ish this morning outside when I lit, think I loaded a bit too heavy since I'm still getting a lot of heat off the stove and it's 65º out :) )

Nothing colder than the upper 40's for the next ten days. Baking something in the oven for supper usually warms the house enough to get through the night.;)

Today is the day here in Northern Illinois. I had the CB6048 going for a day, must have been almost a month ago when we had a chill to check everything over but the furnace kicked on in the middle of the night here. I didn't see any forecast highs with 6's as the first digit in the 10 day either. I'm about 2 1/2 weeks later than the past 2 years so I saved some wood and we have really been having some beautiful weather, can't complain! Should not take to long to get the boiler up to temp with the sustained 20 mph winds today!

Goin to light my CB5648 tomorrow, it's gettin to be time with the temps goin to the 30's at night. I'm also a couple weeks behind here in the anual boiler lighting with the way the temps have been up. Got a couple cord of pine and poplar to get started with :rock:

Had a couple of small fires up till now. Temp in lower 40's this a.m. and a howlin wind blowin. Next 4 days supposed to be wet, windy and cold, enough to keep it rollin. Fired up the 30NC before I left for work this morning. Looks like she'll be runnin for awhile.

Owb

I had first fire on october 1st then warmed back up in the 70's so let it go out but from here on out 40's in the evenings so i lit it this morning and will be cookin wood from here till may!!!!!!:blob2:

After the great 70 degree weather, it looks like it's going to cool down to normal from now on. I lit a fire in the stove tonight with some shoulder wood, and it looks like I'll be having a nightly fire for at least the next week. Temperature in the house got down to 62, so it was time...

Lit! Mostly not because it's cold out, but because I couldn't bear to let my wood sit unburned any longer. This week it's supposed to stay in the 40's, but I'll bet the fire will go out once or twice more before spring 2012.

It will be soon for me. Its getting cold and looks like its going to stay cold.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Going to pick up my fireplace insert next weekend so I haven't had a fire yet. Been using the propane furnace for the past 3 mornings to warm up and use propane, it has gotten down to around 40 the past 3 nights with highs in the mid to upper 60's. Calling for 90 degrees on Tuesday.

Haven't needed the heat, but the tank is leaking (5% per week) so instead of just loosing it to the air I figured to get some use out of it.

The tank was left by the previous owners and leaked the entire time they used it, luckily there was only 30% in it when we bought the house 3 weeks ago and now it is down to 15%. I have the new parts ordered and will install once it is empty.

So the furnace damper hasn't been opened yet by the thermostat. The furnace at idle is keeping the house at 72/73°, which was a little uncomfortable last night. BTW, the furnace is a PSG Caddy.

Built our first fire yesterday (10-20) and have one going right now in the small wood stove at the foot of the stairs. When it cools off some more we have the Buck Stove upstairs that will run you out of the room when it's really cranking and later, when the old part of the house cools off permanently, we'll even keep a fire going in the open fireplace. That's when the wood pile goes down fast:(

I've got a fire going now (NE PA) in the new Enerzone Solution 3.4 . This is the fourth of fifth burn so far. As many have mentioned the weather has been inconsistent. For me the inconsistency makes it hard to regulate interior temps.

Latest posts

Back