The "Firing it up" thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outside temp is at 29 right now as i get up, but it is going to warm up today. I grew up in what had to be the coldest house ever built so when i was able to build our current home we built a berm home, front looks normal but you can step on the roof on the other sides, i wanted a house with no drafts. Anyway it won't be long till we fire.

I installed a 10 plate heat exchanger and fired up yesterday. I am impressed with the new heat exchanger instead of the sidearm. Water is hot all the time and never runs out. Now I have all winter to install my new power vented water heater. The old one started leaking a couple months ago it was about 18 years old. Not bad I hope the next one lasts that long.:rock:

Took the plunge and fired up my Jotul Oslo this evening. Here in central Jersey the temps are around 51 right now...looking at low to mid 40's overnight. I had some bone dry thin splits of red oak sitting for two years.....fired right up. Earlier this afternoon I cleaned my SS flu liner and got out about 3 to 4 cups of ash / soot. Not really that heavy stuff. Burned all well seasoned wood last year.

Sure is nice to finally have her up and running!!

Last edited:
My wife has been acting weird lately.It was 61 in the house Sunday morning and she said it was fine and not to fire it up yet... :msp_ohmy:

I would love to be able to hold out till November.

I couldnt stand it anymore,fired it up on the 23rd...

We have had a fire going now for a couple weeks. We have a pile of split by the splitter that has a few ants in it, we're burning that first, when the snow comes and covers it, we'll start on what we split for the winter.
It warmed up to over 40 today.

first fire of the year

It's been raining and crappy. supposed to be a low near freezing tonight. I lit her up.

I hate the first fire of the year. Stove stinks. Dust etc. burning off. I scooped 3-4 bats out of the firebox.

Still, it is nice to take the chill off. Love wood heat.

the O.WB runs almost 24/7 365 unless my dad and I are on vacation to togeather for the last 4 years.I hate to pay the propane delivey man . heat two houses tosty warm all winter long.

Firing it up...part 2:

With temps predicted to be around 22 last night and feeling a bit decadent (and lazy since they were closer)...I splurged and broke into the seasoned red oak & ash stacks for the evening. Dayum that stuff pumps out the BTUs and the oak leaves a bed of coals :)

Now back to my regular swamp maple supplies.

By swamp maple, i guess you mean silver maple? Those things grow like weeds and i burn lots of it& give alot away.:rock:

A buddy of mine stopped over yesterday and said he was cleaning his old stove and found a bunch of cracks.:(

It's usually 10 degrees colder where he lives, so he's pretty annoyed right now. He had to scrap the stove. He just had to replace his septic system, had 2 vehicles break down, now this.

Red maple in my case, but same difference...they're inbred cousin-sisters of tree species. When you look at the leaves, they're probably 75% "red" shape in character and 25% "silver" maple characteristics, and I understand the two species hybridize exceptionally often so that's what I figure I have.

It's a dominant or at least co-dominant species over much of my woods with red oak. So I try to cut out red maples first, then the mis-shaped red oaks. Girdle the box elder for wildlife to enjoy :) Whoever buys this place after I die will probably have a really, really nice stand of hardwoods left.

Red maple in my case, but same difference...they're inbred cousin-sisters of tree species. When you look at the leaves, they're probably 75% "red" shape in character and 25% "silver" maple characteristics, and I understand the two species hybridize exceptionally often so that's what I figure I have.

It's a dominant or at least co-dominant species over much of my woods with red oak. So I try to cut out red maples first, then the mis-shaped red oaks. Girdle the box elder for wildlife to enjoy :) Whoever buys this place after I die will probably have a really, really nice stand of hardwoods left.

Silver maples just thrive here. I swear i had one grow about 15 feet one year. It's good to plan what trees are best for the long term, even if we're dead. I just had 3 silver maples taken down, two were huge, all waayy too close to the house. Still have one silver maple left, not happy about it's stupid above ground root system. But i cant rewind time and plant a Red Oak or something. It's ok for now. But whenever high winds are predicted i move my truck. Don't trust it. I planted a douglas fir about 20' from my last remaining silver maple. It's already 9' tall, so there won't be a blank spot when the maple finally kicks.

Back