The made in north america Old Magnesium Swap Meet.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carl- it's quite likely I have that if you want to get me an Oregon or Herr part number.

That there is the root of the problem. Can't find a part number except the cryptic Lombard (maybe) stamped on the drum. N156 A7

Found a .404 on evilbay but, we are not going there as we have almost all 3/8 in the stable.

Clutch is a Hoffco Comet. Drum inside diameter.......3" on the money. Drum depth...... 0.650",. Bearing bore (outer race for the roller brng.).........0.6875" (11/16"). Length of bearing........0.473".

156 A7 is a Herr number. Luckily a lot of the saw manufacturers either used Herr as their supplier or took Herr's numbering system to standardize things
back in the day. Even later Comet sprockets used Herr numbers. I have quite a few of the 156 A7 so I can get you one of those for the cost of shipping.

Lombard AP-42 type.

Here is that puppy.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Got him from C SAW 090 as a direct result of this fine thread:msp_thumbup:.

Understand Parts saws

Well now I understand how everyone has so many parts saws laying around. I have a Remington PL-5 and a Homelite 150 Automatic that I can not for the life of me get the clutches off. I have been soaking the Remington clutch in kroil for a week now, and still no help. Just started soaking the homelite.

Anyone have any ideas of how to get them off? I ususally put a piece of v-belt in the spark plug hole, and hit it with a screwdriver and hammer.

If not, I have them available for parts haha.

156 A7 is a Herr number. Luckily a lot of the saw manufacturers either used Herr as their supplier or took Herr's numbering system to standardize things
back in the day. Even later Comet sprockets used Herr numbers. I have quite a few of the 156 A7 so I can get you one of those for the cost of shipping.

I'll have to keep that tidbit of information in mind.

P.M. Sent!!!

Well now I understand how everyone has so many parts saws laying around. I have a Remington PL-5 and a Homelite 150 Automatic that I can not for the life of me get the clutches off. I have been soaking the Remington clutch in kroil for a week now, and still no help. Just started soaking the homelite.

Anyone have any ideas of how to get them off? I ususally put a piece of v-belt in the spark plug hole, and hit it with a screwdriver and hammer.

The PL-5 is left hand threads.

For the nut, I use an old 1/2" I.R. electric impact wrench my father bought in the mid '50's. Cost him a weeks wages back then.

For the clutch I have been using a M.F.H. (medium) and a punch and get progressively mean with it.

Some I have removed would have doubled over a screwdriver.

is there an actual clutch tool for those, a socket looking thing? Then use an impact?

is there an actual clutch tool for those, a socket looking thing? Then use an impact?

In a Remington Mighty Mite service guide, There was a diagram on how to make a special tool to remove the clutch with an impact gun. That clutch is a lot smaller than the PL-5. And it seems like there are many different sizes. So it would require destroying a bunch of different sockets.

M.F.H. is the one in the middle.

attachment.php

The B.F.H. is for the hopeless cases.

lol well I have been using what you call the B.F.H.

To me a B.F.H. is a 15 lb sledge. :lifter:

I will have to try it using a punch. What do you use to hold the piston?

lol well I have been using what you call the B.F.H.

To me a B.F.H. is a 15 lb sledge. :lifter:

I will have to try it using a punch. What do you use to hold the piston?

Stuff a piece of starter rope in the plug hole, make sure the piston is above the ports so it don't get jammed.

Chris - I have the filter but not the top. PM me with your address and I will try to get it out Saturday if you are interested.

Any one else serious about any of the old saws I posted let me know soon, if I don't get it out Saturday it will be June before I am home again.

Mark

Thanks a bunch Mark, but Cliff is hooking me up. You save that air filter for your next Mac bonanza.

Chris B.

I had someone lined up for the two Mall 2 MG's but he will be unable to take them now.

Anyone interested let me know. The with the broken handle and missing most of the paint does turn over with compression, the other one is locked up and missing the flywheel cover and starter. Both have roller nose bars and 1/2" pitch chain.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

I had someone lined up for the two Mall 2 MG's but he will be unable to take them now.

Anyone interested let me know. The with the broken handle and missing most of the paint does turn over with compression, the other one is locked up and missing the flywheel cover and starter. Both have roller nose bars and 1/2" pitch chain.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

So I have to make another trip LOL? See you in mid June or early July.

Does anyone here have any interest in these saws.
Skil 947 Type 2. Looks complete but is missing the on/off switch on the handle. One was added to the side cover though. I has good compression and barks with a snot of mix.
Homelite XL901. Complete and runs just needs bar and chain and needs a new air filter.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow night. Camera cable has grown some legs and not sure where it took off too.

Latest posts

Back