The most popular saw of all time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackoak

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
First off, this thread was not started as to which is the best, but what is the most popular saw ever sold. The saw that made the most in sales over the years.
My vote will have to go for the Hoimelite XL 12 series of saws. Who out here in AS land has not seen one? I'm not saying it was the best saw ever produced, but by far the most popular. I know in a matter of years this will change since Homelite quit producing theses saw in the early 90's I think. but up until now I would be willing to bet that this saw has been produced more than any saw ever made. Any local farm auction I go to around here, you can bet there will be some hammers and an XL 12 for sale. Let the debate begin:cheers:

Last edited:
I would probably agree with you. Homelite built about a zillion of them from the mid 50's until the mid 70's. The last one I know of was sold as a John Deer in the early 80's.

Yes, I have one in my stock pile too, it still runs good but I never use it.

Last edited:
There are probably a few of the Pullon-types el-cheapos that though not really 'popular' have been huge sellers over the years. Yup on the little Homies too, are we talkin' one model though? My vote would be for something like the O8s, a little saw with a very long production run (ending soon I hear), reason for that me thinks is durability for one, ease of maintenance, production, etc.. Wonder if any of the gurus can pick up some info on various production numbers, would be interesting to see.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

:cheers:

Serge

Last edited:
I would have to go with the XL-12's, they made a bazillion of them things. I am thinking of picking one up off of Ebay to use as a backup to my Husky 55.

026 is probably up there too, theres a lot of them around, as for newer saws probably the little el cheapo 16" Poulans along with the Husky's sold at Lowes. We'll see a lot of box store saws at yard sales and auctions in a few years just like we see a lot of Homelites and Craftsmans at auctions now.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody buy a new Craftsman anything other than hand tools?

I'd have to agree with XL-12 / Super XL-12, they're great saws and I find myself using mine quite a bit and leaving the newer stuff in the truck. There's just something about that old Super I really like........

mcculloch

1010 mcculloch would be my guess i see more of them laying around then any other saw, or at least where i am from. They made them from the 60s to 1998:givebeer:

I would have to say that Marcel Ledbetter had made the Light Weight McCulloch chain saw the most popular.

im going to say the 046/ms460 i dont know anyone that dosnt have one, maybe im to young to understand all this homelite stuff but anything other then a stihl is junk.

Back