The Movie: Never Give an Inch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has been well over thirty years since I have seen that movie. Can only remember bits and pieces of it.

A million years ago, at a community college that no longer offers a 2 year degree in Forestry, our forestry club showed the movie on the big screen to make money for our trip to BC where there was a lower legal drinking age. Of course, we had to have the excuse of taking part in a logging competition. Our school was proud to place last. Nobody got arrested although we were held up at the boundary going in to Canada for several hours when somebody answered yes to a question that he should have said no to. And I seem to remember some puking going on in the van prior to crossing. Then the serious straight A guy got together with the flunking out clown and they tried to steal a No Parking sign and stuff it in our van and a Canadian cop was approaching. So, that movie made us money for a memorable trip. :)

I got that tape on ebay... 21 and change including shipping... :) I'm happy to keep a good ADDer busy. they hate to be be bored.. Don't they? :)

Ian

Son tells Dad's story

Here is a nice web page:

http://www.lanecc.edu/library/inklings/bear/bear1.htm

A son tells about his father, Ron Bernard, who actually played a part in the movie version.

Some quotes:

"It was on the last day of shooting those beach scenes that some of the guys were complaining about how cold they were getting from being soaked in the ocean. And that's when Paul broke out two bottles of "some of the finest sippin' whiskey you'll ever have." Dad took the last drink out of one of the bottles, so that's how he happened to keep one as a memento."

-------------

"The last days of filming centered on the "Lumberman's Field Day," which was shot at both Fogerty Beach and Elk City, where they had a motorcycle track. For the picnic scenes Paul Newman told my dad and Gene he wanted the Orland Brothers to have wives with them. So Newman instructed them to go over to a group of extras and select a wife.

But dad felt awkward about it, and he said, "Paul, I really have a hard time doing that."

So Paul says, "Well here, I'll do it for ya."

And he goes over and makes his way through the crowd and comes back with a couple of pretty girls, and he introduced them. Dad remembers how funny it was to hearing Paul announce, "This is going to be your wife. Her name's Judy." So the next week the two Orland Brothers, and their wives, had a picnic table next to Joanne Woodward and her and Paul's daughter, Missy."

Song from the movie got an Oscar nomination

ALL HIS CHILDREN

Theme from "Sometimes a Great Notion"

(Alan Bergman / Marilyn Bergman / Henry Mancini)

Recorded by: Bing Crosby; Henry Mancini;
Stu Phillips; Charley Pride; Kitty Wells.

When you're standing alone with the mountains and the sea
Where the arms of the world are open wide
Where the truth is as plain as the falling rain
And as sure as the time and the tide

You know we're all his children, his next of kin
That's the way it's began
No matter where you're going or where you've been
You're part of the family of man

When you walk down the road and the sun is on your side
With the sweet river breeze on your face
Though you don't hear a sound as you look around
Everything sort of falls into place

You know we're all his children, his next of kin
That's the way it's began
No matter where you're going or where you've been
You're part of the family of man

Visit:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/7058053/a/Essential+Charley+Pride.htm

go down to #16 on Disc one and select either windows media or real player

Last edited:
Picture this

A logger half way through a back cut on a slope holds up a finger and tells the guy pumping jacks, "Gotta take this...."

{He had it on vibrate and "ALL HIS CHILDREN"}

Fortunately, around here in the woods, there is little cell coverage. Up on the ridges though, you get good reception. I never take my cellie with me cutting though. Walkie talkie, yes... cell phone? No.

Yah, $20 clams is about as cheap as they come.

Maybe get a petition together on AS to send it to Paul Newman to get him to put out the movie on DVD???

Been watching that one as long as I can remember and I never get tired of watching it. I am on my third copy. I knew the Bartender, his name was Mike Donahue and was a very good friend of mine. He said making the movie was a lot of fun and Paul Newman had dinner with cast pretty regularly. Whenever I watch the end when Richard Jaeckel drowns I always tell myself that I could of cut him out, especially if I had my Stihl. Great film.

I was thinking, why don't you go cut your radiator hose off your truck and give him a make do snorkel...

Ian

Yah, $20 clams is about as cheap as they come.

Maybe get a petition together on AS to send it to Paul Newman to get him to put out the movie on DVD???

It'd be easier & cheaper to buy one of the pirated DVDs (moral, ethical, & legal issues aside :dizzy:). I once asked an eBay seller about his SAGN DVDs, mentioning that I wasn't aware of any official SAGN releases on DVD. He responded that he "sells what the distributor sends to him." At least he offered a money back guarantee.

Chris J. :monkey:

Latest posts

Back