The MS461.........A Peek Inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should the doohicky get a mirror polish, bead blasted finish, or maybe even a serated edge? :hmm3grin2orange:

Mr. HE:cool:

I don't know if my 441 was in front of the 461 or not. If it is then you can put it behind the 461 as AFAIC. I won't be picking it up until the Wiggz GTG anyways. :msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
I have a theory. It looks like the intake on the cylinder may be mostly blocked by the "flange" when the piston is up. There is space between the "flange" and the piston in the case. Could it be a diverter to keep the intake side charge and the transfer side charge separate? That would basically be almost like internal stratification. I think? This is an interesting design for sure. I would really like to hold that cylinder in my hands so I could really see what was up with it. I do doubt that removing the "flange" is a good idea. It might, however, benefit from reshaping. I'd almost bet on it. Almost.

Randy thinks for the pics. I'm sure looking at the saw in person will give a guy a better idea of what's really going on, at least that's how my little mind works.

So far it seem Stihl doesn't really know which way to go with their new saws, a bit all over the place IMHO.

Randy thinks for the pics. I'm sure looking at the saw in person will give a guy a better idea of what's really going on, at least that's how my little mind works.

So far it seem Stihl doesn't really know which way to go with their new saws, a bit all over the place IMHO.

I agree with that statement.

I wonder if a lot of their thinking is in response to the lackluster sales of the 441C?

I have a theory. I do doubt that removing the "flange" is a good idea. It might, however, benefit from reshaping.

If that flange isn't too expensive, a guy could get some spares and test a bunch of different profiles. (hint)

It's a bit difficult to reverse most porting, but in this case, you can taste and try, before you buy.

Tony

Last edited:
I like the idea of testing the options with The Flange.

I guess I'd just like to know if it's inclusion is a genuine performance improvement or just a solution caused by other changes to meet the need for emission reductions...

Problem is, I wonder how many outside of this website would even know a 441 can (well....should) be ordered with M-Tronic?

There is no longer an option. If you order a new 441, it will be m-tronic. The standard 441 is no longer available.

Via Samsung Galaxy S3

MasterMind what, if any, difference in power, torque vs. a 460 have you noticed stock? Just curious as to the difference this has over the older version before you mod.

Back