the new rim type sprockets on ms 361 for example

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diesel&coffee

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I noted the new rim type sprockets have have less "teeth" then the spur type sprockets.. the question I am getting to is the stock rim type on a ms 361 is 7 ! when or at what point would you want to change it out to get diff results?? for cutting and racing!!

I noted the new rim type sprockets have have less "teeth" then the spur type sprockets.. the question I am getting to is the stock rim type on a ms 361 is 7 ! when or at what point would you want to change it out to get diff results?? for cutting and racing!!

I'll take a 6-tooth 3/8ths for my 026 so I can run a 28" lightweight bar. :)

I run an 8 pin rim on mine with an 18" bar. In my opinion, anything over a 20" bar you will want a 7 pin rim, depending on what you are cutting. The 8 pin rim gives you faster chain speed, but sacrifices torque. You will miss that torque if you are burying a 20" bar in hardwood. But if its smaller diameter wood, the 361 shines bright with an 8 pin. This is all just my opinion.

Uh... you don't even need to mess with the stock rim size...

I have never used anything other than a stock rim on any of my saws... changin' bars and rims and blah, blah... just to get a 1/10 of a second more cut time???

LMAO... :laugh:

Gary

:confused: u mean I can't break the bike saw record with my 361???

Don't be too hard on me... I was just typing wondering if people do it... It would have ben funny if I wondered and did not ask - and a year later find out something diff!!

I have never used anything other than a stock rim on any of my saws... changin' bars and rims and blah, blah... just to get a 1/10 of a second more cut time???

Gary

Yup. A sharp chain and not taking so many coffee breaks will speed up your production too. :)

:confused: u mean I can't break the bike saw record with my 361???

Don't be too hard on me... I was just typing wondering if people do it... It would have ben funny if I wondered and did not ask - and a year later find out something diff!!

No worries mang... no need to overengineer something that is tried and true... one thing you will find on this forum... is that overengineering runs rampant...

Gary

Gary

Imma start callin you "Gary Stocker" hahahaaa. I do like an 8 pin rim on my 361, and its a factory stihl rim. (Made by Oregon with a Stihl logo). For the small wood I been cutting, its is fun. But how much difference does it make? Not a lot I think, but IMO it depends on how the saw user operates the saw. I just sold a 361 and I knew the guy that runs it tends to lean on the bar just a little more than maybe optimal, so I put a 7 pin on it when i sold it. Maybe Im splittin hairs, but its a fun minor science. :cheers:

Happy Holidays!

Gary

Uh, yeah, but what kind of oil mix should he use??????

I came across an 066 once with a 20 inch bar and an 8 pin sprocket. Now that was a sweeet cutting saw, especially in some nice sized pine.

Latest posts

Back