The new stihl 662 4 mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not jump to that conclusion as the only 4 mix stuff is currently available is clamshell two valve with stems parallel to the bore. For all the 450 moto x stuff in this thread the bore/stroke is about similar with my ht131.
i had a br600 it swallowed valves the fs 90 needed yearly valve adjustment timing belts did break in them and they were to heavy.
i will stick with husqvarna or echo hand held equipment.

I have had an Efco Honda engined device go from vroom to vzzzz in the first minute out of the box. I spent a few minutes looking for valve keepers and eventually figured out what they were using. I was able to put the keeper on but it spits out the intake a bit. I would hope the 662 Stihl 4mix product :lol: has a more conventional keeper set up.

Attachments

• efco.honda.valve.b.JPG
    efco.honda.valve.b.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 11
Nope. Cam drivin off the crank. No belts. I've seen the insides of plenty of 4mix motors. Matter of fact I can take a pic tomorrow when I get to work if you'd like...got one in last week that lost a crank bearing. Getting a short block under warranty.

Oh and I find it funny that Stihl's pro weedeaters use a clamshell design. Not that I have a problem with clamshells. But I wonder how many guys on here who won't touch a clamshell saw are happily using a 90/110/130. Lol.

Oh and I find it funny that Stihl's pro weedeaters use a clamshell design. Not that I have a problem with clamshells. But I wonder how many guys on here who won't touch a clamshell saw are happily using a 90/110/130. Lol.
I don't think it's the clam she'll that's looked down on per se. It's the fact that cheap saws are made with plastic and sheet metal clamshells.
Of course the four mix has a plastic cam, which is even worse than plastic and sheet metal crank cases.

crank bearings..usually the fan side. valve retainer clips will let loose and drop and valve, this usually destroys the engine. seen a few drop a seat. none of these are terribly common but do happen. if valves don't get adjusted eventually rockers will pop off the push rods...

Of course the four mix has a plastic cam, which is even worse than plastic and sheet metal crank cases.
I remember a training class for Toro where they were talking up their "Toro made" (Chinese) push mower engine. Their selling point was that the plastic cam wouldn't introduce metal contamination, thereby promising longer engine life! Uh huh. That's why they did that. Right. :crazy:

I remember a training class for Toro where they were talking up their "Toro made" (Chinese) push mower engine. Their selling point was that the plastic cam wouldn't introduce metal contamination, thereby promising longer engine life! Uh huh. That's why they did that. Right. :crazy:
have you seen many "toro" engine failures? just curious...they haven't been a terrible motor in my opinion...other than really sensitive to poor fuel quality. honestly id rather have one of those engines in a snow blower than that junk techumseh they were using.

Latest posts

Back