The old body is taking a beating!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm much more sedentary during the winder months, and now that I'm getting out and doing more work it's tough getting back in shape. Of course, it will now rain so much here that it will be tough to do anything for a while.

Mostly heating season involves a few smashed fingers, a splinter now and then, and having all the hair burned off my knuckles. Beats the heck out of the pain of writing a check to the oil man!

Since I got a 3' hookaroon last year, my fingers have had a much easier time of things. Lower back too, since a hookaroon makes your arm much longer. Highly recommended- the ones from LogRite.

Buddy loves what it does for you, and is saving up loose change. Fingers are so delicate. :help:

Since I got a 3' hookaroon last year, my fingers have had a much easier time of things. Lower back too, since a hookaroon makes your arm much longer. Highly recommended- the ones from LogRite.

Buddy loves what it does for you, and is saving up loose change. Fingers are so delicate. :help:

Amen for a hookeroon. Mine is the one tool I am positive I have in the truck when I leave for "wooding". It is such a labor savor that I will walk a 100 yard round trip to get it rather than bend over and roll a round 15 ft!

Harry K

Thanks - I think I'm going to have to try one of those.

Every time I have one of those moments, I thank the Lord for providing me with something to overcome. He challenges me every time I cut. But from time to time He does kinda get on me about my language. I have to explain to Him, that was my finger, shin or whatever. I hope I get away with it. We'll see later. But dadgum it hurts. My shins look like a spiked whacker packer has been runnin up and down um.

Amen to that Preston! I should be thankful he at least gives me the good health that I can got out and smash my fingers and toes !:smile2:

Every time I have one of those moments, I thank the Lord for providing me with something to overcome. He challenges me every time I cut. But from time to time He does kinda get on me about my language. I have to explain to Him, that was my finger, shin or whatever. I hope I get away with it. We'll see later. But dadgum it hurts. My shins look like a spiked whacker packer has been runnin up and down um.

A spiked what? :laugh:

A whacker packer. If you've ever been on a construction site you seen places where dirt has been back filled. Most of the time you'll see a rolling machine packing the dirt. It has to be at a certain measured firmness to be deemed okay. Then you have area that the rolling machine can't go. That where you'll see device that is about 3 1/2 feet tall. It has about a 1 foot square pad on the bottom. The is sorta like an accordian in that the foot goes up and down. One tube slide inside another. It's driven by a gasoline engine mounted on top. The operator holes onto a handle and just guide it by directing the machine on the bounce.

The ones we had were made be a company by the name of Whacker Packer.

A whacker packer. If you've ever been on a construction site you seen places where dirt has been back filled. Most of the time you'll see a rolling machine packing the dirt. It has to be at a certain measured firmness to be deemed okay. Then you have area that the rolling machine can't go. That where you'll see device that is about 3 1/2 feet tall. It has about a 1 foot square pad on the bottom. The is sorta like an accordian in that the foot goes up and down. One tube slide inside another. It's driven by a gasoline engine mounted on top. The operator holes onto a handle and just guide it by directing the machine on the bounce.

The ones we had were made be a company by the name of Whacker Packer.

Ive run both, the hand ones are kinda fun. The real big diesel compactors do the job, but man, what a boring job...back and forth, all day long.....I did the pad for the haybarn here, I think it was close to 8 feet of dirt compacted down to around 2 feet. Inside that barn is like sandstone, like rock. Cant tell ya how many dump truck loads of dirt, non stop for two days. Boss rented that thing for me to operate and he brought the dirt in the big dump truck, dug it up other side of the farm with the excavator..

I also own a non machine one, just biodrive. Steel handle with a square plate on the bottom. This is NOT fun, freaking hard to use after around 100 good whacks, but it will pack dry clay dirt pretty darn hard, if you do it in thin layers, pack, add more dirt, pack, etc. for along time.... I pack around RxR ties set as gate posts with it, mostly.

Yah, I've had about enough myself. Tri-axle load coming tomorrow, will get a second one in mid-summer, need to get 1-2 yr. ahead of this game, hard to do using an OWB, cutting mostly by myself.

I got kind’a complacent with all the snow on the ground. I cleared an area with the ATV, ordered a 4 cord load of logs so I’d have something to do until the spring thaw. That load took all of one week to cut and split and I was right back to where I was. I would rather do a little wood at a time than to bust my rear trying to get ahead all at once.

This is the lull season for me and I’ll be out of shape in no time.. If the weather would permit, I would like to get two more loads of logs before the roads turn to mud. Looks like we’ll get more show this week, I’d be out in the woods by now but this is a crazy winter in our area.

Normally I keep in shape with the cross country skis, chasing coyotes and snowmobileing but for ythe last couple winters we ain't had none of the white stuff to do those things. Been cutting, spliting wood so have so much I've been thinking about selling a bunch so it don't go to rot.
Good buddy wisser isn't allowed to visit till afterdark when it is less likely to cause me any hurt. Splinters seem to be the biggest hurt but Kare with the neddle and twezzers can make that hurt not feel so bad.

:D Al

I also try to keep in fairly good shape, but time is catching up to me. My stamina is a thing of the past. When I went in to army at 17, I could run 8 miles with the old M1 at high port. Now I doubt I can stand still and hold one like that 60 seconds. Muscles hurt I forgot about and my back ain't close to what it was some years back. When I use to work out in the gym, I was squatting 475 lbs, benching 275. Now I don't think I can roll that across the floor. Time change and wouldn't you know it, my body has changed too. :laugh:

Latest posts

Back