The Old Double Ax Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Derwoodii, in your first pic, that's exactly the position my ax was in when I heard a loud zip/rip sound. I guess with that short handle, the blade was closer to my back and it hooked my shirt, slit it open like a razor. Poor old ax has been sitting on the back deck of my wood shed for 30 years. We moved in here in 1987. All this talk of restoring old blades has me pumped up to see if I can get it back to it's old glory and rehang it, Joe.

Derwoodii, in your first pic, that's exactly the position my ax was in when I heard a loud zip/rip sound. I guess with that short handle, the blade was closer to my back and it hooked my shirt, slit it open like a razor. Poor old ax has been sitting on the back deck of my wood shed for 30 years. We moved in here in 1987. All this talk of restoring old blades has me pumped up to see if I can get it back to it's old glory and rehang it, Joe.

yeah at the GTG we used to let family kids have a tho until we noticed how close the blade was to the little tacks heads,, uh oh so no more..

Attachments

• RIMG0174.JPG
    RIMG0174.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 14
That is a big learning curve, you don't just move your arms forward, you have to straighten your wrists to lift the ax, or you get a shave and a hair cut, Joe.

Back in the day grandpa's friend was splitting wood with a DBA and cut his back open, I believe it was due to hitting something above him on the swing. I've always preferred a single axe for that reason after hearing that story.

Back in the day grandpa's friend was splitting wood with a DBA and cut his back open, I believe it was due to hitting something above him on the swing. I've always preferred a single axe for that reason after hearing that story.
I never split with a double, I really never use one at all, except to throw, and look at cause I think they are cool, Joe

Still cleaning the garage and no more ax heads, but found 2 more knives and an old double edge razor. I think when I cleaned out my shed last year I threw all of the newer no name ax and maul heads in the scrap metal bin and cashed them in. On a side note, I went to my friends house to help him clean his garage Monday and he found another old Camillus knife and gave it to me. It's one made for the US Army. They dated them and this is a 1969, Joe.

There's a Facebook page called "Axe and Woodworking Appreciation" that has guys as fanatical about hand cutting tools as we are about firewood. Worth a join if it interests you.

I just joined "all about pocket knives", that gives me four forums I have to check before I finish my 5th cup of coffee and have to start doing something, Joe.

OH, I haven't started doing Facebook yet.

Back