The old hoss is back on splitter duty - pic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
Don't think you guys have seen pics of my primary splitter tractor, as it's been down with ignition issues for a while and I finally got around to putting a Pertronix electronic ignition conversion in it. So far I highly recommend it, fires right off. Hope to see improvement in cold weather also.

Tractor is a 1947 M Farmall with a 22" buzz saw mounted on the front. I have a 30" blade in the shed, but don't really see a need for it, since I just use it for zipping up kindling and tops. I need to remake the mounting system a bit and improve the guarding on it, will hopefully get done this summer.

It's a bit harder on fuel than the 180, but not real bad, and the gas engine can be left out in the woods in the winter and know it will start, vs the diesel in the 180 that really likes it's extension cord when it's below 30°.

Steve
attachment.php

It may be crazy but I would like to rig a buzz saw to my 3 point on my ford 800 tractor to rip big rounds on the ground I have some 57" rounds I have been dreading and a bunch of 45"
stuff if I ripped half or over turn them hit again and quarter? Nice ole tractor ya gots ya!

Steve, that rig is beyond cool. If you were close by, I'd volunteer an afternoon to help you do some wood just to mess around with that ole girl. It would be playing, more than working.

I'm always fasinated with how people cut their wood back in pre-chain saw days. It wasn't really all that long ago either. Chain saws essentially came out in the 50's, and were barely affordable until the 60's.

Steve, that rig is beyond cool. If you were close by, I'd volunteer an afternoon to help you do some wood just to mess around with that ole girl. It would be playing, more than working.

I'm always fasinated with how people cut their wood back in pre-chain saw days. It wasn't really all that long ago either. Chain saws essentially came out in the 50's, and were barely affordable until the 60's.

Lol I used to be fascinated but after a few spins on a crosscut ya mind starts telling ya get a saw!

It may be crazy but I would like to rig a buzz saw to my 3 point on my ford 800 tractor to rip big rounds on the ground I have some 57" rounds I have been dreading and a bunch of 45"
stuff if I ripped half or over turn them hit again and quarter? Nice ole tractor ya gots ya!

Something tells me that's an idea that sounds much better until you actually try it. I think keeping the log still while you try to creep over it without stalling the saw would be next to impossible.

Big rounds truly do suck, anything I have that's too damn heavy to lift onto the splitter, I load onto the splitter with the tractor bucket. Even with a 16" tall wedge, I still have to occasionally pop one off the wedge with a chain when it won't split all the way through on the first hit, but usually can make a 40 or so incher into manageable blocks in a couple hits. Sure am glad there are no elms that big around here!

Spike, anytime you're out this way, you're welcome to stop by. There is a TON of "extremely experienced" machinery here, almost a history lesson every time I do something!

Steve

Something tells me that's an idea that sounds much better until you actually try it. I think keeping the log still while you try to creep over it without stalling the saw would be next to impossible.

Big rounds truly do suck, anything I have that's too damn heavy to lift onto the splitter, I load onto the splitter with the tractor bucket. Even with a 16" tall wedge, I still have to occasionally pop one off the wedge with a chain when it won't split all the way through on the first hit, but usually can make a 40 or so incher into manageable blocks in a couple hits. Sure am glad there are no elms that big around here!

Spike, anytime you're out this way, you're welcome to stop by. There is a TON of "extremely experienced" machinery here, almost a history lesson every time I do something!

Steve

H mmmmmmmmm ??????????That would be my luck lol but maybe run off pto and geared shaft could correct stalling but would a 57" round laid flat move? I figure they weigh near a ton each water oak! I would like my contraption to have a swivel to adjust blade to different angles and use a giraffe blade instead of a buzz! OOOOOOOOOOOOOps I am giving away another idea lol!

I just thought have to put a break away clutch pack in so it would slip some if she got stuck or:jawdrop: I want it to swivel to level for brush!

Last edited:
I'm old enough to remeber using a buzz saw. For those huge rounds someone mentioned, we split them lengthwise in quarters with three steel wedges and then lifted a quarter onto the saw table. The table cradled the wood and carried it to the saw while you pushed.

I'm old enough to remeber using a buzz saw. For those huge rounds someone mentioned, we split them lengthwise in quarters with three steel wedges and then lifted a quarter onto the saw table. The table cradled the wood and carried it to the saw while you pushed.

Lol but I am allergic to wedges and breakout in cold sweats running them:cry: Besides if you get off the tractor here it is chiggars,seed ticks and venomous snakes in any order I would like to limit my time spent on the ground lol!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOps I am giving away another idea lol!....... I want it to swivel to level for brush!

Now there's an idea for that other blade I have, hyd motor drive off the splitter pump for plenty of flow, and a swingout front mount on the M with a pusher bar on it....

Now there's an idea for that other blade I have, hyd motor drive off the splitter pump for plenty of flow, and a swingout front mount on the M with a pusher bar on it....

:cheers: now we are talking lol I like the giraffe blades with replaceable carbide! Ps I will try to remember to post a pick of my 800 ford tomorrow!

Last edited:
Lol I used to be fascinated but after a few spins on a crosscut ya mind starts telling ya get a saw!

Weren't they affectionately known as "misery whips"? I'd have to guess they came by that moniker honestly. I've never messed with one.

Ian

Back