the 'Pith' or heart of a tree, what gives?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatmanzz

Reaction score
I had to take down (reluctantly) a nice buy leaning red oak tree from my land for safety. I took the 10' cut lengths to a mill to process optimally. They told me the 'heart' or core of the tree was worthless and tossed it out. Is there any value of the center of this type of tree?

The value is in a solid log. Maybe it was to small to do anything else with.

Oak can decay from the outside or inside.

I have some of both outside....sometimes it looks ok but when you cut/mill/split it it crumbles.

I did not see the heart

sawyer just said it was worthless, gave no other indication of what condition it was in. tree was about 22" in diameter and showed no signs of any fungus or decay. when the excavator graded my yard, he must have damaged the roots of the tree causing it to constantly lean more and more towards the house. when I cut it down it was at more than a 45 degree angle.

Pics would have helped. A 22" inch tree shouldn't have been hollow, and that would have been obvious. If you had several 10' sections, it's hard to believe that they would all have been useless. You never know what's inside a tree till you get there though. In the list of forums drop down till you see "mills and milling". There are a lot of sawyers there and they can give a more informed answer than I, Joe.

I actually do have some pics I will get

Pics would have helped. A 22" inch tree shouldn't have been hollow, and that would have been obvious. If you had several 10' sections, it's hard to believe that they would all have been useless. You never know what's inside a tree till you get there though. In the list of forums drop down till you see "mills and milling". There are a lot of sawyers there and they can give a more informed answer than I, Joe.

I am not a pro at this stuff but I looked closely at the grain to try and count the rings, and it was beautiful and solid. I totally forgot I took pictures, I did so at the mill and while loading onto my trailer. I plan on using the milled lumber to make some nice small furniture pieces and a jewelry box for my daughter. I just wanted to see if I got duped and the mill kept what may have been valuable and I should have.

Thanks for your notes, I will get into mills and milling and ask there.

I am not a pro at this stuff but I looked closely at the grain to try and count the rings, and it was beautiful and solid. I totally forgot I took pictures, I did so at the mill and while loading onto my trailer. I plan on using the milled lumber to make some nice small furniture pieces and a jewelry box for my daughter. I just wanted to see if I got duped and the mill kept what may have been valuable and I should have.

Thanks for your notes, I will get into mills and milling and ask there.

The center or pith of any tree is usually subject to a lot of stress while drying and often cracks. Glad to hear you got some good stuff out of it.

The center or pith of any tree is usually subject to a lot of stress while drying and often cracks. Glad to hear you got some good stuff out of it.

yep, oak is prone to cracking and the pith will easily "curl " especially on thin cut(1.5 in ) or less wood. you can get away with using the pith usually by slabbing the center 3-4 in, into a beam or mantle. but for woodwork use it for firewood,less headaches down the road.

where is the heart of a tree, exactly

"hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat, same as worms"

Latest posts

Back