The power of a grease gun....... lesson learned.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arrowhead

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
A couple weeks ago I bought a Jred 490 parts saw off ebay. The seller said it had good comp. It was a gamble, I thought if it had a good P/C it would be worth the $33 I payed for it. Well when it got here, there was no plug in it and it was locked up tighter than a drum. :bang: It was obvious it sat outside awhile with no plug. I thought it was prolly froze up around the rings. The piston was close to the top of the cylinder. I made up a grease fitting to fit in the plug hole. (old plug with a zerk welded to it) This usually works good for unseizing a saw if the top of the piston is above the ports.

Well............ I should have removed the jug bolts first. I kept pumping the gun thinking I'll break it free. There was so much pressure it popped the bottom of the cylinder off. :bang:

What sucks is the piston and cylinder was perfect! The bearings were froze up tight. I could not even get the rod to move at all on the crank. If I had removed the jug bolts, it would have lifted the cylinder right off the piston. The seller did make it right, so basically I have only a few bucks in the saw. I did get a good piston out of it.

arrowheadpioneer

arrowheadpioneer

arrowheadpioneer

madhatte

madhatte

It's The Water
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Old-timer gearhead I learned a lot of tricks from showed me how to pull the brass bushing from an automotive flywheel using a similar but cruder trick. All you do is pack the space with grease, fit a dowel of approximately the same diameter as the bushing, and whack it a few times. The bushing will walk out onto the dowel. It works every time!

Chris J.

Chris J.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Do you usually loosen the cylinder bolts? I do.

I saved a "seized" 621 P&C by removing the cylinder bolts, using a little Kroil, & having some patience. The saw had been used as a donor, I'm guessing that someone wrote it off as seized.

Nardoo

Nardoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
And I thought I had cornered the market for dumb.

Naw, on second thoughts, I would have used a 4lb hammer and broken the piston as well.

Al.

Latest posts