The Rarest of the 6 cube P series Pioneers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
Reaction score
For years I've been trying to find a P65 to complete my 4-5-6 cube P series collection. In the last 4 or so years, none have ever appeared on ebay or anywhere else. I'm under the understanding that there was only a hand full of P65's ever produced. They just made the first few, then the buy-out changed things and the P65 was quickly changed to the Poulan 655. They are the exact same saw. I have several 655's, but needed the P65 to complete the collection. To me, the name plate on the bottom of the saw means everything. That's the only way to determine if it's a true P65 or if it's a 655 that somebody put P65 decals on. Now I have all of the Pioneer-Pioneer/Partner-Poulan Pro saws of this series.... and several doubles/tripples of each. ;)
The years of searching finally paid off with a beauty of a P65. I had an NOS muffler, clutch cover and 32" bar I put on the saw, otherwise all I did was clean it up. It runs like top, tons of power and arm breaking compression.

IMG_8304.jpg

IMG_8302.jpg

IMG_8300.jpg

IMG_8290.jpg

IMG_8298.jpg

For years I've been trying to find a P65 to complete my 4-5-6 cube P series collection. In the last 4 or so years, none have ever appeared on ebay or anywhere else. I'm under the understanding that there was only a hand full of P65's ever produced. They just made the first few, then the buy-out changed things and the P65 was quickly changed to the Poulan 655. They are the exact same saw. I have several 655's, but needed the P65 to complete the collection. To me, the name plate on the bottom of the saw means everything. That's the only way to determine if it's a true P65 or if it's a 655 that somebody put P65 decals on. Now I have all of the Pioneer-Pioneer/Partner-Poulan Pro saws of this series.... and several doubles/tripples of each. ;)
The years of searching finally paid off with a beauty of a P65. I had an NOS muffler, clutch cover and 32" bar I put on the saw, otherwise all I did was clean it up. It runs like top, tons of power and arm breaking compression.

IMG_8304.jpg

IMG_8302.jpg

IMG_8300.jpg

IMG_8290.jpg

IMG_8298.jpg

Great looking saw Ed, you and Lee amaze me in the way the two of you find these beauties. Gotta ask BP or not?

Tried to rep but did it earlier in the swap meet for asking Mark about the aftermarket cylinder kit

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I figured if anybody was to have one it would be you. ;)
I have a few new BP top ends and thought of putting on on this, but it runs so good and has so much compression... I think I'm going to leave it as is.
It will mostly spend it's life on a shelf. I can run my 655BP's for serious cutting.

Great looking saw Ed, you and Lee amaze me in the way the two of you find these beauties. Gotta ask BP or not?

Tried to rep but did it earlier in the swap meet for asking Mark about the aftermarket cylinder kit

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

No BP. The P65 was before the BP. I have BP tops that will fit right on, but I'm leaving it original.

No BP. The P65 was before the BP. I have BP tops that will fit right on, but I'm leaving it original.

That is what I thought but the "Hi Performance" decal I have heard was to indicate a BP model, and yes, I didn't think the BP came out until a couple of years after the buyout. Just trying to verify conflicting stories and you are the man on these, sorta a walking encyclopedia.......

I figured if anybody was to have one it would be you. ;)
I have a few new BP top ends and thought of putting on on this, but it runs so good and has so much compression... I think I'm going to leave it as is.
It will mostly spend it's life on a shelf. I can run my 655BP's for serious cutting.

One of the P65s I have I bought new and wore out the original top end. The other one was an ebay basket case with a scored top end.

Very nice. Those are a beautiful saw. Did it come stock with those large dogs?

Lovely saw Ed. And what unbelievably good condition.
Sorry to ask a dumb question but do the two handle components (top frame and bottom frame) from a 40 series fit the 60 series? I just picked up a P62 and as luck would have it, broken and poorly repaired handles.

Al.

Lovely saw Ed. And what unbelievably good condition.
Sorry to ask a dumb question but do the two handle components (top frame and bottom frame) from a 40 series fit the 60 series? I just picked up a P62 and as luck would have it, broken and poorly repaired handles.

Al.

Thanks Al. The top frame from a 40 series will work, but not the lower frame. If you use a 40 series top frame, you'll need to drill the hole for the manual assist oil pump.
I have whatever you need to fix up your P62. I'd love to help... just let me know what you need.
Feel free to post a pic of it here. :rock:

Latest posts

Back