The Savage the Pig and the Dolbeer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little more clarification on my last post

The steam boiler they used to build steam to fire up the donkeys were called Moxley (sp?)burners.
I think a guy named Moxely invented them.

One thing I got wrong on my terminology. Steam donkeys needed steam to work the injector
(puts water in the boiler) but I wrongly refered to the moxely burner building steam to work the injector. What they were used for was to heat the oil so it could be used in what my Dad called an atomizer that actually sprayed the oil into the fire box.

Thanks (esp your Dad) for the Moxley pre-heating explainations. Reading up on that now.
Funny, I was thinking how much those crude oil pipes would weigh if they had to be moved to a new location.

Back in post 58, photo of Washington Yarder, the braided cord (both photos) on the floor and going to Whistle Punks hand is the whistle control. In the second photo, what is the 'control' box on the wall, about even with the Puncher's head ?

In the second photo, the Punchers hands are operating the winch drums and his feet the brakes ? Are the drum controls in fact air operated ?

Washington IW among others had some big Yarders with drum capacities ranging 4000-18,000 ft of 7/8 to 1 3/8. Somewhere read the specs on some Yarders and the numbers are real. Couple of members (and fathers/grandfathers) ran these and posted.

Thanks (esp your Dad) for the Moxley pre-heating explainations. Reading up on that now.
Funny, I was thinking how much those crude oil pipes would weigh if they had to be moved to a new location.

Back in post 58, photo of Washington Yarder, the braided cord (both photos) on the floor and going to Whistle Punks hand is the whistle control. In the second photo, what is the 'control' box on the wall, about even with the Puncher's head ?

In the second photo, the Punchers hands are operating the winch drums and his feet the brakes ? Are the drum controls in fact air operated ?

My Dad has been ill so he couldn'tlook at the pictures but from what I see now that you point it out the pictures show electric whistles. Not sure about a box but I can see the "bug" hanging in the line of sight of the engineer so it has to be electric.
It could well be air frictions as that's what it looks like however my Dad did mention that the steam yarders he worked on all had steam jams that set the frictions.

Probably not many know what a pig is. A pig was used in ground logging on the long skid roads in conjunction with road donkeys. It was similar to a small boat usually made of boiler plate but I have seen pictures of wooden ones much like a dugout canoe. It trailed behind the turn and was used to carry the dogs that attached the logs in the turn together when they were shipped back to the back end. I mention this not because I am old enough to remember but because I found one back up in the woods on the East Fork of the Humptulips years ago. Also a Bagley scraper there that they used to make the cuts for the long skid roads. That country was all ground logged and splash damed down the river to Grays Harbor in the early days. It has since then been all logged a second time and I don't know what became of the pig. Probably forgotten as a useless piece of scrap metal but a little bit of the history still resides in my brain.

Next bit of related history is what is a PF man (censors would get me if I spelled it out) and where the term chaser comes from? hint, all related to that pig. Who knowes?

I think I found the same pig and Bagley in the last few years. The pig I found should still be there; was walking through GH Co. ground to get to ours, I don't think it's logged yet. The Bagley got hauled to town on a tilt deck....we still haven't donated it to the museum yet. I wish there was more of that old stuff out there still.

A long shot, but if anyone gets back out there or knows someone witha camera a couple of pics of the iron pig would be a nice addition to the thread. It'd also be better to see the pig next to a Dolbeer in working museum.

I think I found the same pig and Bagley in the last few years. The pig I found should still be there; was walking through GH Co. ground to get to ours, I don't think it's logged yet. The Bagley got hauled to town on a tilt deck....we still haven't donated it to the museum yet. I wish there was more of that old stuff out there still.

That's a real interesting area. When they logged up river from the GH CO land you could see the skid roads well. They went from the river all the way to just below the top of the ridge on Cougar mountain, easily a couple miles. In fact I logged a patch at the top and you could see the old growth had been yarded down hill to the river.

I read a story about the outfit that logged that country. It made a good story but I don't think it was ever published and the fella that gave it to me to read is gone now. Probably lost forever.

How much and what size lines did those machines have?

Reading another post and saw this. Thought it was worth a comment.
A lot of the information garnered from my Father.
He worked in what I would call the heyday of logging when railroad logging was king and ground logging was long gone. Highlead and skylines ruled so I won't be mentioning the ground logging machines.
Most of the highlead machines had 1 3/8" or 1 1/2" mainlines and 7/8" haulbacks. In the neighborhood of 1800' and 4000' respectively maybe a little less.

Slacklines in those times weren't used that much and they were usually big head machines with up to 2" skyline, 1 3/8" skidding line and 7/8" haulback. He said there were also two donkey slackers using two highlead machines that had smaller lines but still with at least 1 3/4" skyline.

Skidders were used for downhill logging (not the rubber tire rigs of today, big yarders) and had either 1" or 1 1/8" lines. They had a large skyline that did not have a drum but was tightened with a heel tackle drum. Skylines ran from 1 3/4" up to 2 1/8". They had three drums a skidding line, haulback and a smaller slack puller drum.

Tylers were the big ones only used for swinging. They had 2 1/8" skyline that was stationary and tightened with a heel tackle drum. They had three drums all of them carried 1 1/8" skidding, haulback and hoisting line.

Also most places used North Bend skylines which were stationary and tighened on a stump and usually at least 1 7/8".

Loading machines had either 7/8" or 1" loading lines depending on the size of the timber and 1" or 1 1/8" spotting line. Duplex loaders were in favor when he started but phased out as Railroad went out and truck logging came in.

Just to give you an idea the absolute smallest chokers were 1 1/8" and he tells about 1 3/8" chokers on the slackline and 1 1/2" chokers on highlead sides, not every where but where there was bigger timber.

Latest posts

Back