The Sea-Foam Trick

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFK

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have heard you Chainsaw Guys talk about using Sea-Foam to help clean out Carbs.

The Question I have is: How much Sea-Foam do you put in the tank with the Fuel?
Is it a 50/50 mix? What do you guys use???

Thanks
David

I have heard you Chainsaw Guys talk about using Sea-Foam to help clean out Carbs.

The Question I have is: How much Sea-Foam do you put in the tank with the Fuel?
Is it a 50/50 mix? What do you guys use???

Thanks
David
If you use 50/50 mix you will be buying a new cyl. & piston shortly. I don't put it in the tank, I soak carb bodies in it.

I have put it in my tanks but I do maybe a few capfuls. My ms170 runs better with it mixed into the gas.

Do whatever they say on the bottle or maybe double that. It's like an ounce or two per gallon.

We used a stronger than suggested mixture at the marine dealership I worked at. It would fix 15-20 percent of the carb problems that came in. The rest needed a tear down.

I often add it right to the fuel tank on my saws, about a teaspoon full on smaller saws or fill a screw on cap off an oil jug for the bigger saws, dumped in before refilling the tank with fuel mix. That might be a little more than needed but it keeps them running happily.

Read the instructions on the label I add sea foam to my 5 gallon cans when I buy the gas in the first place. Then no matter weather the gas gets mixed for my saw or added straight for my Lawn Mowers all get the sea foam treatment . Pioneer Guy had a pretty good description of how he uses the product. Pretty much what ever he tells you is the right thing to do.

Like Jeff said. It's a bit of a drive for e-free 91 octane, so 5 ounces goes into the 5 Imperial gallon jug as soon as I get home.

I am not sure what is wrong.... But I suspect that it is in the Carb.

Working on a PP295. It has set in my storage building for 5 or so years.
Rebuilt the carb with a new kit and installed a new fuel line.

The saw is vary hard to start. Once it starts it runs for a few seconds then it bogs down and stops.
After several sessions like this it will warm up and idle. Will not rev up yet. Will bog down and stop if you try.
If allowed to idle for several minutes it will slowly warm up and allow it self to be reved-up.
After some time it will rev but not well.
Was hoping that the ounce of Sea-Foam in half a tank of fuel wauld help clean out the carb.

No such luck yet.

Thanks
David

Sea foam also came out with the spray cleaner you do through your carb. I think it's called too engine cleaner. They have a video on doing it in a chainsaw. Might help

I doubt that the Seafoam can fix a carb that has stiff diaphragms, it cleans up deposits of gum or varnish quite well but solid grit and sawdust has to be physically removed.
Right, once grit is in there it needs to be manually cleaned.

I have had engines that wouldn't run but we let them soak over night and then they run perfect the next day. Always hard to know.

I use sea foam as my stabilizer in my jugs. Then I'll add my oil mix to that. It's in every tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My recipe for old boats and motorcycle carbs: 1/2 can Seafoam to 1/2 gallon of gas/oil mix. Fill tank 1/4. Run at fast idle, blipping throttle occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes. Will likely smoke like the dickens. Shut down and allow to sit overnight. Top off tank with gas/oil mix in the morning.

Success rate is around 90%. The other 10% need stripping or replacing.

For maintenance, dose as per the label on the can.

I am not sure what is wrong.... But I suspect that it is in the Carb.

Working on a PP295. It has set in my storage building for 5 or so years.
Rebuilt the carb with a new kit and installed a new fuel line.

The saw is vary hard to start. Once it starts it runs for a few seconds then it bogs down and stops.
After several sessions like this it will warm up and idle. Will not rev up yet. Will bog down and stop if you try.
If allowed to idle for several minutes it will slowly warm up and allow it self to be reved-up.
After some time it will rev but not well.
Was hoping that the ounce of Sea-Foam in half a tank of fuel wauld help clean out the carb.

No such luck yet.

Thanks
David

lightly screw the needles in count the turns... take them out when you tear the carb down and spray carb cleaner with the red straw into each one....or wd 40.... works for me... then put the needles back into the original adjust ment....if still boggy adjust the low out a lil ...

Presuming that the carb is adjusted correctly (if its not, start there) you're showing signs that the high side circuit is blocked. Soak it, fire some carb cleaner in all the passages.

Latest posts

Back