The skidder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such short chokers now a days with these mini yarders. We used to use nothing shorter then about 30 feet and up to 50. It took a manly man to pull back 3 wrapped up 1 1/8 chokers on a no lift high lead show.
Of course my Dad would say Wimps!!!!! We flew 1 3/8 by 40s at Clemons, Greenwood and Schafer Bros.

Yes sir! makes me excited, il fall the timber & render thoes slinkey 50' bastards.. That was the good old days though, when mans where mans. Now mans act like a bunch of womans. This website can absolutely prove it.. i usually wear the white tube sock like fallers glove, & in my experiences a damn cotton glove dosent do much to avoid jaggers. i have felt and ####ing herd the metal scrape against my finger bones. That **** realy makes me cuss,(why the #### am I up here un-belling chokers when i should be falling timber??) then boss man chimes in with a< "ypu wanna get payed for today son???"

Last edited by a moderator:
Such short chokers now a days with these mini yarders. We used to use nothing shorter then about 30 feet and up to 50. It took a manly man to pull back 3 wrapped up 1 1/8 chokers on a no lift high lead show.
Of course my Dad would say Wimps!!!!! We flew 1 3/8 by 40s at Clemons, Greenwood and Schafer Bros.

. Now there,s a Port Alice memory for me , Subterainian lead .as opposed to High "as in Lift" lead .. I worked for one of the best hook tenders , if not the best one I ever worked for there ,but we logged several units that terminated on red cedar ,blow down muskegs and didn,t have any lift ...4, 33'long 1 inch chockers and a 208 with a transmission problem so it was gutless .... I set the same 1 inch chocker for 5 weeks .. at around 3 1/2 weeks 1 strand broke so the chaser at the time unlaid that strand and did a good job of cutting it off close to the nubbins ....It actually was a nicer chocker with 5 strands ...... That 1 chocker lasted me longer than some brand new power saws have .........Alot of those old timers had 2 chocker setters per chocker with those 1 3/8 x 40 ' snares ..

Last edited:
Yes sir! makes me excited, il fall the timber & render thoes slinkey 50' bastards.. That was the good old days though, when mans where mans. Now mans act like a bunch of womans. This website can absolutely prove it.. i usually wear the white tube sock like fallers glove, & in my experiences a damn cotton glove dosent do much to avoid jaggers. i have felt and ####ing herd the metal scrape against my finger bones. That **** realy makes me cuss,(why the #### am I up here un-belling chokers when i should be falling timber??) then boss man chimes in with a< "ypu wanna get payed for today son???"

Get the right cotton gloves and hear that popping sound.

Ugh, riggin'. Yeah, White Ox were good, I used them when sawing as well.
I remember tying a figure eight knot in 1 1/4 arch line and tryin' to leave a hand and a half pig tail, so I didn't look like a city boy and have to torch it short. Put the clevis hook on the track of the Cat, and feed the end through the knot as the winch tightened it, I had no trouble picturing having my hand being pulled in to my neck.
Until I went into other areas, I had never seen any chokers smaller than 7/8". inch was standard, 1-1/4 by 80' was fairly common, every Cat had something like that tied to the roof.

tractor loggin we use chains. a smart faller finds a 3 or 4 inch diameter peice of tree about 3ft long and lays it infront of the stump so the tree falls on it and you have a gap to get the chain through.
ive set cable chokers behind a skidder and you just have to use your head. if you have a tree you cant get a choker under, set up so that another tree drags over it and that should roll it around. then get that tree on the next hitch.

this is east coast ground skidding. i see the yarders somtimes have trees choked 8-10ft back down the log. when the log needs to drag behind a machine you generaly want to be less than 4. with my tractor its best the be about a foot.

ive seen skidder around here with only 40ft of mainline that was only 9/16ths. less than what youre calling a choker. but we arent yarding 8ft diameter trees either.

. Now there,s a Port Alice memory for me , Subterainian lead .as opposed to High "as in Lift" lead .. I worked for one of the best hook tenders , if not the best one I ever worked for there ,but we logged several units that terminated on red cedar ,blow down muskegs and didn,t have any lift ...4, 33'long 1 inch chockers and a 208 with a transmission problem so it was gutless .... I set the same 1 inch chocker for 5 weeks .. at around 3 1/2 weeks 1 strand broke so the chaser at the time unlaid that strand and did a good job of cutting it off close to the nubbins ....It actually was a nicer chocker with 5 strands ...... That 1 chocker lasted me longer than some brand new power saws have .........Alot of those old timers had 2 chocker setters per chocker with those 1 3/8 x 40 ' snares ..

Ain't it the way with those kinky chokers. They seem tougher then a bull choker. You can do every thing you can think of to break one and they will just hang in there.

My dad swears he broke an 1 1/2 choker on a log at Camp 14 for Rayonier. Cat side too. He said he had 3 D8s for power and a block purchase to bring it up over a bench. That's where he broke it. When he got it on the flat it took the 3 cats to move it, 2 pulling and one pushing. 11'x40' doug fir. Loaded it on the railroad.

. Thats a stick :jawdrop:.

...I got to enjoy some of my snow machine skidder today . All the reprod is bent over with a foot of snow and hoar frost on it ..Had a stob punch up thru the tub and get into the drive clutch , which gave a good accounting for itself as a chipper .......:cry::chainsaw::censored:
.Every time I have to use my hands and feet to scrape off the snow from a blow down I think of the skidder .. Every time I throw a 200 lb 4 ft stick on the sled and then on the truck , I think of the skidder ..... Blew the front seal out of the transmission on my 90 ford 1 ton 4x4 delivery truck yesterday breaking in the road to my new sale ... I was thinkin about the skidder with it,s rear dozer blade . and front bucket .. Time to look at the pic again ...
Skagit1WheelSkidder.jpg
About 6 ft is as long as I want my snares , and I will make some with 4 ft or less length ... I,ll have an 8 or 10 footer for the rare bonus or tronus or a figure 8 if it,s needed . But mostly 3/8 th or 5/16 6 foot chockers .........Nice and easy .!!!!

. Thats a stick :jawdrop:.

...I got to enjoy some of my snow machine skidder today . All the reprod is bent over with a foot of snow and hoar frost on it ..Had a stob punch up thru the tub and get into the drive clutch , which gave a good accounting for itself as a chipper .......:cry::chainsaw::censored:
.Every time I have to use my hands and feet to scrape off the snow from a blow down I think of the skidder .. Every time I throw a 200 lb 4 ft stick on the sled and then on the truck , I think of the skidder ..... Blew the front seal out of the transmission on my 90 ford 1 ton 4x4 delivery truck yesterday breaking in the road to my new sale ... I was thinkin about the skidder with it,s rear dozer blade . and front bucket .. Time to look at the pic again ...
Skagit1WheelSkidder.jpg
About 6 ft is as long as I want my snares , and I will make some with 4 ft or less length ... I,ll have an 8 or 10 footer for the rare bonus or tronus or a figure 8 if it,s needed . But mostly 3/8 th or 5/16 6 foot chockers .........Nice and easy .!!!!

When the skidder wont pull a greased string out of a goats rectum. And when you have the side covers off the gearmatics and are trying to get the op rod and dog bone to trip just right and knock the side cover off the tire and spill all your bolts in the snow. You will be thinkin about you snowmobile!
Did I say I hate gearmatic winches?

Lead on 4-53?

Tramp, below FYI.

From Feb 2:

http://juneau.craigslist.org/boa/1583433682.html

For sale: Detroit 4-53 marine engine set up with heat exchanger & Borg Warner gear. Running takeout with unknown hours. Runs good. Also have large steel Marco powerskiff without engine. Willing to sell together or separately. Powerskiff would make good log towing boat or spare seine skiff. Make reasonable offer on both or either.

Try Tacoma Diesel before you go climbin in somebodies cramped gooey troller engineroom bilge.
If they're still around,they were the Jimmy Gods(imo)

ak

This one in Sitka is a take out from a seine skiff so it,s prolly already on dry ground , well as dry as Sitka is .......I have friends in Sitka who can look over the engine and feel out the owner ....What counts against it is it was in a seine skiff ....Commercial fishermen especially crabbers and seiners being about the lowest life forms on the planet ............ Down south engines equal BIG bucks ....
. You still in Prudhoe ??

Tramp, below FYI.

From Feb 2:

http://juneau.craigslist.org/boa/1583433682.html

For sale: Detroit 4-53 marine engine set up with heat exchanger & Borg Warner gear. Running takeout with unknown hours. Runs good. Also have large steel Marco powerskiff without engine. Willing to sell together or separately. Powerskiff would make good log towing boat or spare seine skiff. Make reasonable offer on both or either.
Thanks Roost !!! I emailed the guy . I have friends there that can look the engine over ...... I have found out there were gobs of different 453s . so there is a chance it wouldn,t work , but maybe alot of the parts would .. Perhaps the heat exchanger part would mess up lots of things , but perhaps it will unbolt and the radiator stuff will bolt right on .. ????????????????????

Down south engines equal BIG bucks ....
. You still in Prudhoe ??

Maybe I didnt follow close enough,but aint yer skidder downsouth.Its just a quick scoot down I-5 to the "Aroma of Tacoma",Tacoma Diesel used to do fleet service stuff,huge warehouse full of Jimmy green engines,pulled out of cannery fleet bristol bay boats.4-53's should be pretty reasonable,phone call is cheap these days.
In the middle of my time off,nother week to go. 7/12's 4x2 hitch.Pretty slack schedule,after 23 yrs of fishing this is a walk in the park.Since we're mantainance,always gauranteed 12's unlike the other trades,no weather days.

goodluck
ak

....Commercial fishermen especially crabbers and seiners being about the lowest life forms on the planet ....
??
HuH whaa. somebody blindside me while i was nappin?Everybody knows 96.5% of the people who log or claim to have logged cant do anything else,cause they cant fit in course one could say the same thing about fisherman,BUT sofar Im the exception.

Never crabbed much or seined,did a season of setnet,but did do a whole lot of Hook n line same way it was done in Ireland not long after the jesus dude was doin his thing.

ak

HuH whaa. somebody blindside me while i was nappin?Everybody knows 96.5% of the people who log or claim to have logged cant do anything else,cause they cant fit in course one could say the same thing about fisherman,BUT sofar Im the exception.

Never crabbed much or seined,did a season of setnet,but did do a whole lot of Hook n line same way it was done in Ireland not long after the jesus dude was doin his thing.

ak

. See there ya go , your not a seiner or Bering Sea crabber . So your a great guy !!!!!!!!:clap::clap:

Still no word back from the Sitka engine .. But it wasn't inb a boat , I think it is in a warm shop ...

Latest posts

Back