The smallest State Forest in NY still stands! (post-FrankenSandy)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleprac

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

The Balmville Tree survived the recent ravages of tropical storm FrankenSandy with no apparent damage.
Balmville Tree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I never knew this thing existed, but I just saw it yesterday, and it is the biggest DBH cottonwood I have ever seen! The thing must be 8' across!

I had a job cutting blowdown only about 1/4 mile from this national landmark, and while driving past this tree (gawking and drooling) it seemed to me to be untouched, despite the wreckage all around it. Granted it has very few limbs left from years of pruning, and it is largely supported by guy-wires, but an east-coast wood hack like me doesn't run across a tree that thick too often. Apparently the tree all by itself is actually zoned as New York's smallest State Forest- even George Washington partied under it!

Tons of stuff came down nearby including this tree which I cannot ID. I took a decent pickup load anyway, but I have no idea what species it is. It had no foliage left, but it was shaped like a Catalpa. It had stubby branches then bent downward, but the bark seems to be closer to the scaly pattern of black cherry. My neighbor thinks its some kind of sour cherry- any ideas?
View attachment 260442
View attachment 260443

P.S.
Sorry 'bout the rambling post- hope everyone's getting back on their feet in the wake of Sandy! If there's any members around Ulster County, NY in need of assistance, let me know how I can help. Have saws; will travel! :D

Hi all.

The Balmville Tree survived the recent ravages of tropical storm FrankenSandy with no apparent damage.
Balmville Tree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I never knew this thing existed, but I just saw it yesterday, and it is the biggest DBH cottonwood I have ever seen! The thing must be 8' across!

I had a job cutting blowdown only about 1/4 mile from this national landmark, and while driving past this tree (gawking and drooling) it seemed to me to be untouched, despite the wreckage all around it. Granted it has very few limbs left from years of pruning, and it is largely supported by guy-wires, but an east-coast wood hack like me doesn't run across a tree that thick too often. Apparently the tree all by itself is actually zoned as New York's smallest State Forest- even George Washington partied under it!

Tons of stuff came down nearby including this tree which I cannot ID. I took a decent pickup load anyway, but I have no idea what species it is. It had no foliage left, but it was shaped like a Catalpa. It had stubby branches then bent downward, but the bark seems to be closer to the scaly pattern of black cherry. My neighbor thinks its some kind of sour cherry- any ideas?
View attachment 260442
View attachment 260443

P.S.
Sorry 'bout the rambling post- hope everyone's getting back on their feet in the wake of Sandy! If there's any members around Ulster County, NY in need of assistance, let me know how I can help. Have saws; will travel! :D

looks like some kind of cherry..

cool monstah tree!

Latest posts

Back