The toughest thing! New topic for column in TREE SERVICES

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say a hard thing is trying to teach people the 'better methods of tree care ' as apposed to the detrimental things like topping ,building to close to trees ,etc etc..

One other thing is i would like to see the 'appropriate authority's' prosecute firms that run with no insurance,and worker compensation etc

ROLLACOSTA said:
I would say a hard thing is trying to teach people the 'better methods of tree care ' as apposed to the detrimental things like topping ,building to close to trees ,etc etc..

One other thing is i would like to see the 'appropriate authority's' prosecute firms that run with no insurance,and worker compensation etc

Start YOUNG with education. I cant change the world but can make a difference. Making the kids (and parents)aware of propper treecare and a healty environment can change their minds/insight at elder/grown up age.

cross posting to other board were i posted about a awarenes day of the Dutch Tree Foundation. If this is against AS rules editors may remove this link.

Awarenes day Dutch Tree Foundation

Thx for this tread its a good one.

rgrds Ronald

vharrison2 said:
R Schra.....you are in the mag!!!

Please explane MAG??? (i know only mag from military :rolleyes: )

As for how i handle 'busines'. LOTS of COMMUNICATING, LOTS of LISTENING. To the crews, boss, clients, fellow busines man, people on the street etc.. And then get all info and feedback worked out into a good patern that does the trick. I dont know 'sh!t', we all know the more, i just have to stream the info from those above into resonable, effective and satisfying orders and workplace.

Rgrds Ronald

MasterBlaster said:
Mag means magazine.

Ok, dumb me :(

Now i see that it is for a colum in a Tree Services, what will be the 'mag'azine.......

I told before i know 'sh!t' lame me :blob5:

some googling gave me this ?

Tree Services magazine?

So i assume that a posting of me will be quoted in that?

Ill hope someone will edit my 'dutch' spelling :dizzy:

Rgrds Ronald

R Schra said:
told before i know 'sh!t' lame me

Ill hope someone will edit my 'dutch' spelling :dizzy:
Rgrds Ronald

If I only knew as much of any other language! Remember your dealing with Yanks for the most part, and we're too dumb to speak English right. :laugh:

Now we need a few guys from Oz to make this a world wide thread :)

time management is the first thing which came to mind as the hardest aspect of arboriculture. glad to see i was not the only one who thought this. there are so many variable that can sink a good bid, ; picky clients, traffic jams, sick days, and foul weather just to name a few. I think time management will always be an issue because of the complex situations we get ourselves into by the nature of the business.

Hello treeco,
I'm interested in finding out how to become a certified aborist. I've been climbing for years and am getting too old for it. Thought some type of certification or training/schooling may help me stay around for awhile longer. Any help appreciated.

Blackwaterguide

The good employee thing is #1. Marriage is #2. Un-insured, un-lincesed hackers is #A1.....

You know, turn over is tough. However, I pay my groundsmen $20/hr. I don't know if that is reasonable in the rest of the country, but out here a high paid groundsman is getting paid $13/hr. Money talks! I figure, if I were hauling brush, running a rigging line, raking, lifting huge arse loggs... I would want to be compensated for it. Bottom line. If they are qualified, then I give them the green stuff that pays the bills. After all, it is not my money they get, it is the customer's money. It just passes through me. Try it! :blob2:

blackwaterguide said:
Hello treeco,
I'm interested in finding out how to become a certified aborist. I've been climbing for years and am getting too old for it. Thought some type of certification or training/schooling may help me stay around for awhile longer. Any help appreciated.

Blackwaterguide
http://www.isa-arbor.com/certification/certification.aspx

try this

I agree with most of the replies on this one. To add something different, I find it difficult servicing municipal contracts. You have to maintain and upgrade all your equipment, as most municipals require the equipment to be no more then 6 years old. You also have to have equipment that you don't use much just to bid the contracts. You have to keep your guys certified to work around electrical wires, and have a crew on call if the one goes down in the street or on the wires. More equipment more employees, much hire workmen's comp costs, and your already required to carry a million across the board. When there is a hurricane, or storm and its time to make some big money, you have to send at least one crew to each town and work at contract rates, when you could clean $$$ up on the private jobs. Then worst of all Asplundh comes in with these low rates, and you have to drop your prices on your bids. I'm really starting to wonder if its really worth doing municipal work at all. :dizzy:

Both you and I know there is plenty of private work in our area.....the only time we are not busy is in the winter time, i really think we could run three crews that just did private work; full time. Not that we would ever do that, but i think there is enough work out there, don't you NE. Plus having ten guys on the payroll, and dealing with them, and haveing to own a 78' bucket, a 60' bucket, and a 55' bucket and a crane, and three chippers different size capacities, and a large stump grinder, three chip trucks, two log loaders, lots if insurance lots of registrations...and did i mention asplundh is cut throat. My old man has been into so long, its just what we do...but i think its a head ache...i far prefer private work over municipal.

Winter is the busy-time for the muni for us.

Asplundh? Cutthroat? No way.... ;)

we dont do anthing in the winter....except snow plow....The towns dont want us on the roads.....liability

Back