The Traveling Leveraxe/Leveraxe 2 Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The price IS a big issue. I personally wouldn't spend that much on any splitting tool unless had a motor and hydraulic cylinder attached.

The difference between this and a regular axe is that the motion of the LA stops at the top of the wood whereas the axe travels through and sometimes get stuck in the chopping block. So you can split much faster because you don't need to pull the axe out of the wood every time. If a guy did kindling all day long or had to feed a little potbelly stove this would be a very handy tool.

Don't take this the wrong way because I think exploring new ideas and techniques is great but, both LA's are pointless to me. And any guy that would spend that kind of money to split kindling all day long needs his head examined. Like I said, a five dollar yard sale axe will do the same thing.

Definitely understand where you you are coming from.

The LA is an interesting concept and the inventor was generous enough to let us sample it. I think that the AS members who have used it have given a very good illustration of the strong and weak points of the tool.

Might be good for chipping out holes for ice fishing . . . ? Stainless head. Handle likes to be soaked. Might want to try it up there in in the North country.

Philbert
The lever action will shard the side ice away also.

Side note if you ever forget your auger here is the formula. For every foot of ice to chop through, you need a 2' x 2' square to start chopping to get the angle to have a hole at the bottom big enough to pull a fish through. So if there is 2' of ice you need a 4x4' starting square. Have fun :)

Leveraxe is going to get a workout in some frozen aspen tomorrow. Will report how it goes.

I was watching the wranglerstar (is he a member here?) review of the Leveraxes (the one where FreshP knocks her tooth out). He liked the original model a lot better FWIW.

Don't take this the wrong way because I think exploring new ideas and techniques is great but, both LA's are pointless to me. And any guy that would spend that kind of money to split kindling all day long needs his head examined. Like I said, a five dollar yard sale axe will do the same thing.

This is my take on it.

It was/is made for a whole different kind of wood and application.

Have you ever watched the really cool Euro wood processing videos?

That's what it is angled for.

Smaller diameter, small length, and straight grained.

I would say 16" lengths are knocking it for the large side of the majority of their wood.

For the intended application I think this would work well, not white oak or Gum.

European firewood does seem like kindling to a lot of us. Sure as heck does to me.

But when you see what is put in, it makes sense.

Just my .02

Split some large and long frozen aspen today with the LA.

I was pleasantly surprised by the performance. I was halving rounds that were longer than 24" on an average of 2 hits. Even the larger knotty pieces broke with ease. I had one big round that took about 4 hits to get the first chunk free then it was mostly single hits the rest of the way. A far cry from the lackluster showing last weekend in willow. I'd swear it wasn't the same tool if I didn't know better.

Overall I did about a third of a cord before dinner while the other guys were running the DHT.

The head is still solid after the extended soaking I gave it a week ago.

image.jpg

That thing still looks like it belomgs on a firetruck not out splittin wood. So was it the frozen wood........or did you do something else?

It was frozen wood. I did not bring any other tools out today as I wanted to give this a workout. I was quite shocked that it did so well on those longer pieces that wouldn't fit in the DHT (24" max length for the splitter). I did split from at least 4 different trees so its not like I ended up with one really easy to split tree.

Not sure why you would say that. Take a look at my post from last Sunday where I posted that the LA's performance was downright lousy in the willow I cut.

Sensitive? Weren't you talking about using the LA for ice fishing in post #427? I'm just thinking it will be more useful icefishing than splitting wood:)

Sensitive? Weren't you talking about using the LA for ice fishing in post #427? I'm just thinking it will be more useful icefishing than splitting wood:)
If that's what you meant I apologize. It's tough to tell someone's tone when you are cracking a joke at something on a previous page without quoting it ;)

Latest posts

Back