The Unofficial Chainsaw Weight Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 450 that I need to fool with.
I picked it up from the scrap yard a few months ago.

I guess it depends on what is wrong with it, and how much you want to put into it, getting it back to serviceable condition. There are people on this site that would probably buy it from you for parts. (that wasn't an offer). But if it doesn't cost much to fix it, they make nice firewood saws, best served with LESS than a 20" bar for which they are rated. I run a Woodland Pro 18" bar with the NK .325 chain and found it to be a great fit. I can bury the bar in hardwood, and unless I deliberately lean on the saw or accidentally twist a little, that powerhead never loses a bit of rpm. Also, it has nice mid range torque for only a 45 cc chainsaw. If you are processing hard wood around 14" and under, but allowing for the occasionally larger pieces, this saw will get the job done once you muffler mod it. Without the mod, it doesn't seem much more powerful than a stock CS-400. As a matter of fact, a muffler modded CS-400 would so kick a stock CS-450's butt. However, un-cork it, and you have a completely different saw that you will come to love.

I guess it depends on what is wrong with it, and how much you want to put into it, getting it back to serviceable condition. There are people on this site that would probably buy it from you for parts. (that wasn't an offer). But if it doesn't cost much to fix it, they make nice firewood saws, best served with LESS than a 20" bar for which they are rated. I run a Woodland Pro 18" bar with the NK .325 chain and found it to be a great fit. I can bury the bar in hardwood, and unless I deliberately lean on the saw or accidentally twist a little, that powerhead never loses a bit of rpm. Also, it has nice mid range torque for only a 45 cc chainsaw. If you are processing hard wood around 14" and under, but allowing for the occasionally larger pieces, this saw will get the job done once you muffler mod it. Without the mod, it doesn't seem much more powerful than a stock CS-400. As a matter of fact, a muffler modded CS-400 would so kick a stock CS-450's butt. However, un-cork it, and you have a completely different saw that you will come to love.
Thanks for the info.
I'm going to check it out today.

IMG_2402.jpg

husqvarna 350 pho- 11lb 6oz
IMG_2404.jpg

husqvarna 350 ready to cut. 14lb 14.75oz
IMG_2403.jpg

18" .325 small bar mount 1lb 10oz

Bump. Still lookin for a 362 stock and a 261 and a 266xp etc.

Here's something different. Wanna save nearly a pound of weight on your 288xp? Remove the front av spring and mount and the outside dog.

162586844.GHVHYGs8.jpg

Stihl MS660 Magnum - 16 lbs. 12.2 ounces. Drained the oil and gas. I could have spent a little more time holding the saw upside down and draining bar oil, but I doubt there is more than 1/2 ounce left in the reservoir. Starts great. Check out the compression gauge. This is a good one. Only gripe is that the de-compresion valve pops off early once in a while. With the 190 psi + compression, I need a cup when pull starting and holding this saw between my legs - ha.MVC-114F.JPGMVC-104F.JPG

Stihl MS-180C-BE with the easy start option. Powerhead was drained of fuel and bar oil. PHO weighed in at 9.78 pounds (decimal), or 9 pounds - 12.48 ounces. Basically it is 9 3/4 pounds approximately just for the powerhead.MVC-124F.JPG

Wow! What a beautiful piece of equipment! Looks like it is loaded with safety features as well. Perhaps it will have a place in the Smithsonian Institute some day. I wonder if the Saw Troll could identify it? You have to put that baby on the scale! I guess 30 pounds with the bar and chain.

Here are a few more photos of various chainsaw power-heads,meticulously cleaned and drained of oil and gasoline. Manufacturers fib a little on weights, but the only real surprise that I found relative to published weight was with the Husqvarna 345. All weights are decimal not ounces.
Husqvarna 345 - 11.41 lbs.
Husqvarna 450-E Tool less - 11.79 lbs
Husqvarna 353 E-Tech - 11.48 lbs
Efco MT-4400 - 10.48 lbs
Poulan PP4018WT 40 cc "Wild Thing" - 11.81 lbs
Commerce Scale Check Weight - 10.00 lbs

Husq 345.JPG Husq 450E.JPG Husq 353 copy.JPG Efco MT-4400.JPG Poulan WT.JPG 10lb Weight.JPG

I finally put my "stripped down" 10mm 044 on a scale. I basically removed all the PNW stuff, standard handle, Standard clutch cover, standard air filter, too(much lighter than the magnum air filter), standard dogs, etc etc. I couldn't get a good photo, and even if I did, the scale is in STONES! As in 1 stone = 14 pounds. Anywho, she came to .945 stones= 13.3lbs US. It's empty of fuel and oil, and has the dual port muffler. This is how I run the saw since it weighs less than a PNW set up, and I don't usually cut in to big bark any more.

166445985.ylXpaGx1.jpg

I wish to extend my compliments to everyone who has contributed to this particular thread on chainsaw weights. There has been lots of time consuming work done to present this great collection of photos. I have a very accurate scale that has been verified with commercial trade check weights and my results come in within one ounce or under on many of the same models depicted in this collection. It is amazing to me how manufacturers fudge the numbers on some models. I figure that if the advertised weight gets close to 2 ounces of true weight, that is exceptional. Of all the saws that I have weighed, I would say that Redmax had the most reliable advertised data of any manufacturer, at least according to the models that I examined (right on the dime accurate). Efco (not Echo) got the Pinocchio award, but some of the old Husqvarna 300 series models weren't too far behind in terms of fudging the numbers. It seems that advertised weights are a little closer to reality today with regard to truth in advertising, but still anything within 1/2 pounds seems to be acceptable to some manufacturers. I would trust the information on this website before anything from advertising materials.

One of the reasons why I started this thread(as WYK) was I recalled how disappointed I was when I bought a 372XP thinking it weighed less than my 046 and was fairly unimpressed when I found out it weighed more!

One of the reasons why I started this thread(as WYK) was I recalled how disappointed I was when I bought a 372XP thinking it weighed less than my 046 and was fairly unimpressed when I found out it weighed more!
Wow! You have me scratching my thinning scalp on this one. I have a Stihl 046 magnum, and as I recall, I believe it weighed in around 14.6 pounds but don't hold me to that. I also weighed a brand new Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque that came in around 14.3 pounds, again according to memory. I am going to check to see if I have some weigh photos. Maybe I am wrong on this. I will check.

Wow! You have me scratching my thinning scalp on this one. I have a Stihl 046 magnum, and as I recall, I believe it weighed in around 14.6 pounds but don't hold me to that. I also weighed a brand new Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque that came in around 14.3 pounds, again according to memory. I am going to check to see if I have some weigh photos. Maybe I am wrong on this. I will check.

You can just check here. But you have to compare apple to apples - they were both PNW models; large clutch covers, full wrap bars, full dawgs, etc. For the difference in weight and power(stock) I would go with the 046 over a PNW 372. I also noticed I had a few ounces of oil in the 044 when I went to refill it. I forgot that I was testing the oiler not long ago and left enough oil in the reservoir for it. So prolly a few ounces lighter yet. But the weight I put up is not much more than I have seen elsewhere.

Back