The Unofficial Chainsaw Weight Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know why the 460 weighs more than the 046. The 7900s weight is within an ounce of nmurphs scales and the 460 had a brand new tank put on it so no fuel has ever been put in it. Put yours on any scales and see if they come up the same.

attachment.php

I would have thought the 681 was close to the 7900. Nearly one pound of weight is pretty significant to only gain .1hp.

Looking a little dirty inside the starter cover is'nt it. Wonder how clean it is under it?

John, this is what happens when someones favorite saw don't look so good on the scales!

Yes that saw has a litte bit on the starter fins but if you look close, you will see that shiney new rear handle on that saw. I had that saw all apart and it was cleaned, cleaned cleaned but I'm not taking a tootbrush to the starter cover fins. There is no gunk under any of those covers period.

If it makes you feel better take a couple of ounces off of that weight shown and if you look close my scale is weighing in tenths, not ounces so that shows 15.10 lbs not 15lbs 10 oz.

I did notice yesterday though that my scale has a setting to weigh in lbs and oz's. :laugh: I just never noticed it before.

Thats a huge difference Mark. 15 pounds 1 ounce compared to 15 pounds 10 ounces. Thats good ya pointed that out. That would be easy to confuse.

Thats a huge difference Mark. 15 pounds 1 ounce compared to 15 pounds 10 ounces. Thats good ya pointed that out. That would be easy to confuse.

Yes I feel a little dumb about that but I honestly was only doing these weights for my own comparisons. As we know there is alot of biased info floating around here sometimes and I just want to see for myself.

I useally weigh saws after they have been down for complete cleanings and repairs but I forget sometimes and dont weigh them.

I have more saw weights though if you guys want them posted. Mostly vintage stuff though.

I

Here is a 7900 heated handle saw fresh out of the box. Brand spanking new, no dirt!

My scale is reading 14.9 lbs and Neals non heated handle is 14 lbs 10.2 OZ which coverts to 14.64 lbs.

They say that the the heated handle saws were a little under 1/2lbs more then the non heated ones so this seems pretty close to me. Close enough for hand grenades anyway.

I originally got this scale for USPS/UPS shipping that I seem to do alot of and honestly my packages seem to be within a OZ of the post office scale and right on with the UPS counter scale. Take it for what its worth.

attachment.php

Wow Mark, that 7900 is sweet! Keep em comin brother!
BTW Mark, where did you get your sclaes at? Those are nice.

Mark what's a pp655 weigh? I'm just curious about a 30 year old design. It didn't feel much more than a 394.

Wow Mark, that 7900 is sweet! Keep em comin brother!
BTW Mark, where did you get your sclaes at? Those are nice.

I dont remember where I got that scale. Might have been ebay but like I said it seems to be accurate and at least very repeteable.

My camera skills suck but the this new to me Dolmar 9010 shows 18.4 lbs.

attachment.php

In comparison a 1975 or so Poulan 5200 at 85cc is 16.4lbs. :msp_rolleyes:

attachment.php

Ok mark I didn't know if you had weighed it or not. The 5200 is lighter than I thought it would be. The 9010 is right with a 394.

John, this is what happens when someones favorite saw don't look so good on the scales!

Yes that saw has a litte bit on the starter fins but if you look close, you will see that shiney new rear handle on that saw. I had that saw all apart and it was cleaned, cleaned cleaned but I'm not taking a tootbrush to the starter cover fins. There is no gunk under any of those covers period.

If it makes you feel better take a couple of ounces off of that weight shown and if you look close my scale is weighing in tenths, not ounces so that shows 15.10 lbs not 15lbs 10 oz.

I did notice yesterday though that my scale has a setting to weigh in lbs and oz's. :laugh: I just never noticed it before.

It's all good Mark. My 15.1 lbs 460 is stihl my favorite saw and has no problem keeping my family warm at 15.1lbs.:hmm3grin2orange:

Here's the 460 modified mark weighed on the same scales as his 7900.
196304d1314137418-ms460-weight-custom-jpg

Oops I missed the 046 picture earlier. :)

Well, that makes me feel better about my 681. It has more cc's and hp and is still lighter than the 460.
681= 15.7

going to have to disagree. that saw has about pound of dirt on it.

Wrong! 14.12 is what the 046 weighs on the same scales as the rest of the saws in this thread is what I seen. Can't go by a saw that does'nt look all that clean on a scale that is on the other side of the country from the scales in this thread. Also if 15.7 is what your 681 weighs then it's more than that 064 on these scales which is more cc and hp than your 681.:hmm3grin2orange:

exactly right.

dsc04744large.jpg

dsc04745large.jpg

since we are on the subject of 046/460
heres 460 wrap

dsc04738large.jpg

dsc04739large.jpg

my 460 wrap with all fuilds topped off.

dsc04740large.jpg

dsc04741large.jpg

half wrap vs 3/4 wrap 17.2oz vs 10.2oz

dsc04727large.jpg

dsc04728large.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I feel a little dumb about that but I honestly was only doing these weights for my own comparisons. As we know there is alot of biased info floating around here sometimes and I just want to see for myself.

I useally weigh saws after they have been down for complete cleanings and repairs but I forget sometimes and dont weigh them.

I have more saw weights though if you guys want them posted. Mostly vintage stuff though.

Post up them vintage saw weight pics Mark! Seems to me you weighed a Poulan 245A and a McCulloch PM700. Hopefully others too. Did you ever weigh a Poulan S25-CVA? That'd be fun to compare to an 020T and MS200T. IIRC you weighed a Poulan 4000 as well.

Latest posts

Back