The West Coast Logging Legacy Video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Very good, informative, and interesting video covering PNW logging from late 1800's to today. Applies to a much broader area. 48 minutes, but worth it!

This Squamish Historical Society (British Columbia) video documentary traces the evolution of logging on the West Coast from the early days using animal power, to the era of the "steam donkey" and railway logging, leading up to modern highly mechanized forestry operations, including heli and underwater logging.

Philbert

Logging History of North Western Ontario
Here is a similar video on North Western Ontario logging. Also very good, and interesting:

"A half hour documentary about the logging History in North Western Ontario, Canada,I spent 2 years gathering photos and old film footage for this project. I had a lot of fun creating this project. I edited and processed pictures in Adobe CS2 Premiere and Photoshop"

Philbert

From stump to ship: A 1930 logging film

Maine

"The long log drive: a spring journey down icy streams and rivers moving logs from the forest to the mill for sawing into boards, laths, and clapboards. For more than 150 years, logging techniques remained the same. Men cut trees by hand and loaded them on horse-drawn sleds to be hauled over snow to the river. Skilled river drivers maneuvered the logs downstream, risking their limbs and lives every day. This film survives as a record of the long log business. Highly detailed scenes, filmed year-round, are uniquely enhanced by the original script, written to be read with the silent footage in the 1930s. The soundtrack is brought to life by Tim Sample, narrator and renowned Maine humorist, in the role of the filmmaker, Alfred Ames. - Copied by Thomas Gideon"

Philbert, they had a specialty trade, "saw filers". Are you reincarnated?

Back