The working man, and chainsaw thread!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont think Ive posted any of these here.

First couple are from a cotton wood thining job Ive been worrkin on

225075d1329707701-cotton-wood-jpg

225076d1329707746-business-end-jpg

225077d1329707803-dsc_0044-jpg

225078d1329707860-dsc_0063-jpg

Last edited:
PNW rarity

A big Black locust here in the good ole PNW.

Was it harder than most PNW cuttin? Yup
Was it OMG hard? Nope
Can a PNW 372xpw ported saw run a 32" half skip square in it yup worked just fine.

A nice Burle cut from the stump
225080d1329708366-20120219_124438-jpg

225089d1329711756-black-locust-jpg

Last edited:
It always amazes me on how well a pro faller can make their cuts level and square. That is a true knack.
Not a Pro. I have been paid to cut but just piece meal side jobs and 5 years on the side for a rancher I worked for on the side,would not put my self with the leval of the pros. I was lucky enough to be born into a family with a logging back ground and high school forestry that was logging 101 basically. I can make an Ugly stump with the worst of em.

Durand,Will,Mike you all look pretty handy at sharpening to me. So if you square file over time you have to manage gullets seperate eh? Must be different maintenance than round file over time. I tried square been a long time only by hand, and did not do it long enough to figure out the overall maintenance. Great stuff Jim love the homemade mill, especially like the motor LOL! Sweet! Mosesr I love that quote myself:msp_thumbsup: Cedarkerf great stuff all around keep it coming, and I agree with Jim, nice stumps. Some people Who have asked me why this or that when cutting, and I explained to em why you face a tree, and why you keep your cuts aligned, and level and then they turn around and ignore ya. They don't realize not only do you utilize a tree, not hit a house or just put the tree where you want it, but it could dam well save your life!

You got it, we cut close to 100 face cord a year to heat for five families. I get to get heat of it almost year round. I love cutting wood though, love everything about it, even the splitting and the stacking. I love milling with my homemade saw mill best of all with the 9010 on it:
1106111449.jpg

1106111144.jpg
That's a nice looking setup you've got, I suppose that takes up a lot of your "spare time".....:msp_biggrin:

Not a Pro. I have been paid to cut but just piece meal side jobs and 5 years on the side for a rancher I worked for on the side,would not put my self with the leval of the pros. I was lucky enough to be born into a family with a logging back ground and high school forestry that was logging 101 basically. I can make an Ugly stump with the worst of em.
...Seems to me the more I learn the more I realize I need to learn a WHOLE LOT MORE...:dizzy: Great pics.
Work safe. ::thumbsup::

I dont think Ive posted any of these here.

First couple are from a cotton wood thining job Ive been worrkin on

225077d1329707803-dsc_0044-jpg

225078d1329707860-dsc_0063-jpg

I really like how on both of those pics your looking up. I see its importance stressed all the time, but man is it hard to put into practice. When your working real hard to make your cuts match, or worried about sawing through the hingwood its hard to think about looking up to see whats going on. Great pics!!

I have been working hard on learning to sharpen chains. So far I need work on consistency. I get one or two real good cutters a bunch of so so cutters, and a few not so good LOL. I havnt even tried square yet, need to get a file for it. I try not to use that chain unless necessary because its the only chain I have to take to a shop to get sharpened right now. Its definitely not the glamorous side of saw work or fun for that matter, but very important.

Thanks. Was trying different angles. I'm still pretty green at square filing, actually that's with a goofy file.

The goofy doesn't leave a vertical side plate. I never tried a goofy file. I used the double bevel or a grinder.

The goofy doesn't leave a vertical side plate. I never tried a goofy file. I used the double bevel or a grinder.

Well, it kinda does, if ya look close there is a bit of a "Beak" so to speak, just slightly angled back, and slightly rounded, there is enough there, only about the top .040 max of the side plate does anything anyway.

Brian I agree look up, and good job! Randy we all got alot to learn it's the people who don't realize it, or who think they are better than they are who become the dangerous ones. Brian the chain filing, and maintenece is a lifelong learning experience, or at least many, many years. I just turned 24-25 years on it, and I still learn and refine. So Mike and Will I pretty much gathered from your last post you are both on the goofy side:biggrin::hmm3grin2orange:

Well, it kinda does, if ya look close there is a bit of a "Beak" so to speak, just slightly angled back, and slightly rounded, there is enough there, only about the top .040 max of the side plate does anything anyway.

Stand the file up more and get into the tie straps, lots of extra tie strap material. It will stay sharp longer and less of the chain will be removed on touch ups, better economy without losing performance.

Hard to go back from square unless it is a dozer pile.

Nice pictures folks, good reading.

Stand the file up more and get into the tie straps, lots of extra tie strap material. It will stay sharp longer and less of the chain will be removed on touch ups, better economy without losing performance.

Hard to go back from square unless it is a dozer pile.

Nice pictures folks, good reading.
Good tip, and compliment thanks. And I agree square is the best.

My back hurts...;)

I sharpened about 8-10 loops of chain today, and adjusted the rakers on all of them! I think about every loop I had was dull LOL! 1 of them was a 36'' full comp, 1 was a 36'' skip, 1 28'' full comp, 2 28'' full comp square ground, and the rest were 24,20 and 16'' full comp with a few of them being square ground. Even cleaned the gullets out on the few square ground chains. I think I'd rather been working by the time I got done! :laugh:
My back hurts just thinking about doing that again. :cry: Had to go through my "collection" a few weeks back. I filed four 32" skip, three
24" full comp, two 20" full comp, two 18" full comp. All hand filed(round file). No money for a grinder. I have no experience with square
chisel chain, is it really that much better? :dunno: I cut mostly hard wood. I thought I remember hearing some where that round chisel
was better for cutting hardwood??? :dunno: :msp_confused: That's the main reason I've avoided square chisel chain(and of course I've never sharpened
square chisel). Is it much harder to sharpen than round chisel? :dunno:
Work safe. ::thumbsup::

Square works good for hardwoods. It is somewhere around 10-15% faster than round. It doesn't work for frozen or real dirty wood. Semi chisel is king in the muddy wood. As soon as I get the other parts for this grinder I'll grind all my round stuff square and be using square for everything but what needs semi chisel.

I used square half skip yesterday on that black locust seemed to work great. Only dulling problems were from hidden nails and minerals in seems. Cut fast and smooth and the ported 372 pulled the 32 inch bar no problem.

Brian I agree look up, and good job! Randy we all got alot to learn it's the people who don't realize it, or who think they are better than they are who become the dangerous ones. Brian the chain filing, and maintenece is a lifelong learning experience, or at least many, many years. I just turned 24-25 years on it, and I still learn and refine. So Mike and Will I pretty much gathered from your last post you are both on the goofy side:biggrin::hmm3grin2orange:

I got about 2 1/2 years at it if I am lucky LOL. Still have a long ways to go. Next time I make an order from Bailey or somebody like that I am going to try to remember to get a file for square chain and see if I cant get it half way decent. Just dont know what file I want to get, too many choices, and I dont know what the benefits are of one style to another.

Latest posts

Back