The worst way to get a saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the 6401 with BB kit just after we found out he had terminal cancer. My brother asked me why would I buy the same size saw that i knew i would end up with (sooner than later it turned out!). told him, "This is my saw. The 056 will always be Dad's saw". I dont think he really understood the feeling though.

Didn't, and still don't, feel it is right to bank on someone elses "date". Maybe that is just me.

Hope it doesn't snow too much this weekend so I can get the ironhead home. Looking forward to unknown territory for that rebuild.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. Finding some days are certainly harder than others!

my Dad's 009L

First off my condolences on your loss.

After years and years of fighting with cranky "garage sale" saws to heat the house, my Dad finally broke down one day when one of his "affordable" homelites took a dump. He came home with a shiny new 009L. This was right about the time when I had graduated from official family wheel barrow filler and log roller to part time cutter. Man was that saw bright in my eyes!!! This was back in the late 80's. My Dad and I never did see eye to eye and every time I look at that saw I'm reminded of one of the few times we weren't arguing with each other. I hope your Dad's saw reminds you of the better times like mine does for me.

Really sorry about your dad. i lost mine at the age of 3 he had a 78 lowrider and was killed on it at the age of 28. i bought my first harley a year ago, a 2000 lowrider, black with red lettering just like his (weird story behind that) keep those saws and bike and bring them back to life

Sorry for your loss. Can't imagine losing my dad. Just have to stay strong for your family. Lousy way to get the saws, but even if you don't use them all the time, put them on a shelf and remember your dad.

Sorry to hear about your father, I lost a relative the same age to Pancreas cancer. I inherited a few saws from him. I'm restoring one for a shelf queen, leaving one alone and rebuilding/using the other. These saws mean more to me than any others. I'm sure you will cherish the memories and the saws.

Sorry to hear about your dad. Before my wife's grandfather passed away I often would go up with my father in law and cut wood on their property. They were what we call today, old school, because they had two stoves in the house, and that's all they had for warmth in the winter. About three months before Earl passed, we along with one of Earl's good neighbors were bucking and splitting some oak. After two truck loads to the house, and stacked, Earl called us over to the tractor shed. He had three saws, an old David Bradley gear drive, a McCulloch 15, and one of the last Port Chester XL-12's. You homelite guys will know what that means. Earl told us that if anything ever happen to him or he went in the hospital, "come and get them saws before somebody steals em". I told him we were going back to Lincoln in a couple days and he walked over and picked up the McCulloch and handed it to me. Would'nt take no for answer. I still have the saw, with his name scribed on the starter housing, I'll take it out once in a while, fuel it and let it run for a few minutes. I always place it back in its place of honor, and told my son one day its going to be his. My father in law still has his dad's XL-12, he takes it out occasionally, he already told me one day, that along with his other saws were mine. The neighbor still has the David Bradley, says he can remember when he was a kid hearing that big saw run. Hasn't touched it in years, just a conversation piece from a family friend.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

Very sorry to hear of your loss. Not to make light of the situation, but think of it in this way in terms of the saw. Best case, you can go out and tear up some wood and remember the good times. Worst case, you can give it some good TLC while sipping a refreshing beverage & remembering those tough times you got through together.....and then go tear up above mentioned wood.

My condolences on your loss. My 2077 belonged to my BIL who was killed in a motorcycle accident while we were on a trip. It is my most prized possession. I think of him every time I use it. Enjoy his saws and good luck with the ironhead they are fun bikes to ride.

I'm very sorry for your Dads passing. Keep all the saws that were his. If not you'll regret it down the line.

:agree2: Sorry to hear about your dad's passing. Mine went to be with the Lord in December of 2001 (prostrate cancer). Cancer is absolutely evil. I have 2 rifles, a nice watch, and other things that were his that I'll never part with because they were his. Take care bayshore, and God bless.

Kevin

I also got ahold of his old belt. He was the kind of guy to have a largish buckle on his belt (2"x3" or so) and worn the same one with everything for decades. The night we got home from the hospital, I saw it sitting on the kitchen table. It was just one of those "that is him" things.

I took it home and have it hanging in the closet. I told the wifey that I was thinking about making a lasercut memorial for the battery cover on the bike (name and dates) just so that he was always remembered after it is restored. She said that I should do that and maybe had the solid metal buckle from the belt welded to the piece as well.

Might have to think about that one.

Sorry for your loss, it sucks, I know. I got a bunch of guns and tools the bad way when my dad died in a freak accident when he was only 48 years old and I was 18. The stuff that was his though is my favorite. I think about him whenever I use any of his stuff. Its good medicine

First of all, my deepest condolences.

My dad has some beautiful saws but I sure as heck have no interest in getting them & frankly, hope I never had to (although of course one day, I will).

On a side note - the first 3 saws I ever "acquired" (garage sale, scrap heaps) were those exact homelites (XL & super 2) and a Stihl 056AV Super!

I actually found myself checking the picture of the garage to make sure it wasnt a picture I took a few years back!! :p

I'm sorry about your Dad...

Lost my father after a 1 month fight with colon cancer :jawdrop: Needless to say, 2010 hasn't been a good year so far.

Looks like I will end up with his two homelites, 056AV Super and 015A.

That puts me at 9 saws. I may need to start thinning the herd.

http://www.arboristsite.com/picture.php?albumid=409&pictureid=1439
http://www.arboristsite.com/picture.php?albumid=409&pictureid=1440
http://www.arboristsite.com/picture.php?albumid=409&pictureid=1441
http://www.arboristsite.com/picture.php?albumid=409&pictureid=1438

If I was you,,I would keep em all...If you sell em oneday you'll wish you never did....I got my 028 the same way you have your saws,,and I wouldnt take 1 million bucks for it...We used that saw together in the woods a many a years...I remember when he bought it brand new and I was pissed cause I loved the old Pro Mcc 55 he had,,but first time we ran it the 028,,we both became hardcore Stihl fans...
My Dad was 58 years old too when he died all a sudden in 1996...You said about his belt..My Dad and I both smoked,,and he smoked Winston 100 ciggs,and I would see him each day for breakfast and bumm one from him,,,and after he passed,,,I would find a butt of his that he trown on the ground...Thats what goes back to his saws....Thay will always be there,,,all they will ever cost you is takin some space in your garage,,,but years down the road,,you can get so much enjoyment from them as he always had...
Take care,,,and hope time heals fast for you and family.....

Sorry for your lost, keep those saws and make them all run like new and use them from time to time, they'll give you good memories.

Sorry to here about your loss Sean...My families thoughts and prayers are w/ you and yours...

Back