Then and Now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nosmo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I took out this large pine back in March and got it all cut up,noodled and then split. I used stump rot (2-packages) and drilled holes per the instructions. Guess it was too big a stump for the salt peter to go all the way through like it was supposed to. I waited until July before I lit it up.
[Started burning out the stump in late July and here is the result as of today 8-11-2010. No stump , no above ground roots and bermuda grass sprigs coming along nicely.

Oh that is a 15" wheel setting on top of the stump for comparison.

Nosmo

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Here is the right photo of Now !

Sorry for the screwup on the upload. Here is the present day picture of no more stump.

Nosmo
attachment.php

I used the MS 260 and had an 18" bar on it at the time. That trunk was over 20" -- that is a 15" wheel setting on the stump which isn't nearly as big around as the stump and trunk.

It used to be a pretty pine tree until two ice storms messed up a lot of its limbs. It was leaning the wrong way -- towards my shop building so I decided to remove it.

Nosmo

I found an old can of that stuff in the garbage. I cant say Ive seen any around the hardware stores lately. I wondered how effective it was. :)

I found it at Lowes and Tractor Supply. They are different brand names but contain the same chemicals.

I used the one from Tractor Supply in March and used another one from Lowes in April. I believe it would have worked in the 6 to 8 weeks mentioned but it was a very large stump.

The picture just shows the stump with the wheel setting on it. It looks as if soil and mulch are built up around it. Well it is and that stump has buttress roots that came off the sides and were at least 18" tall in places. Worst one I ever took out.

I think most of the chemicals went down one of the smaller roots because it burned out like one which had been seasoned for a long time. This is what is supposed to happen.

Nosmo

Last edited:
025 or MS 250

The 025 or MS 250 will cut real well for its size. I need to start mine up and run it for a while . Since I bought the MS 260 last year I am spoiled and use it when I cut .

Nosmo

Latest posts

Back