There is something about firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Reaction score
Ok guys it has been rainy forever it seems and I took it as a chance to get ready for next year got near ten cords split and a couple in small rounds last week and a half when the downpours slowed to spitting rain! I have a 27 ton horiz- vert splitter troy built and the problem is; #1 it seems each year my stockpile of unsplit wood grows I want it all split but know summers coming and hot temps and my current splitter don't mix. #2 I will be busy making $ when it dries out even though I have done a job or two during or in between rain and splitting time. I can't stand to see good oak ruin but I do each year see several cords become doughty which I split and burn in early fall when great wood is not really needed and I will not attempt to sell the doughty wood. I probably have near forty cords of wood counting the ten split and I may be getting old or becoming a pansy but it seems it is killing me and not real productive even though it is a fair supplement during the slower winter months!

Ok now what I am thinking is; if I got a high production splitter like tw or br splitters I could essentially split all my wood each year + some of the hickory on my 40 acres. I also am wondering after pricing what I want in a quality splitter and was wondering if I could not produce the equivalent at home for way less that the 10 grand I will spend buying the model I am interested in? I have some skills basic welding, some hydraulics just wondering if it would be better to build my own or buy the commercial unit?

Last edited:
I hear you rope I,m about to get tired of this rain. My yard is a mess and I,m way behind on my wood supply. finding time to find all the materials and build a splitter coupled with the price may make it a wash but at least you could build it the way you want it.wish we lived closer I wood help you out with the splitting for some wood. I can,t haul enuff to make it cost effective for a 2hr drive

Do you sell enough wood to pay for the high dollar units, if so i would say make it easy on yourself and get it. How many cords do you burn in a winter. 40 cords would last me four years. Also if your able to keep it dry it will last longer and with all the rain we have had. that's gonna be difficult.

Do you sell enough wood to pay for the high dollar units, if so i would say make it easy on yourself and get it. How many cords do you burn in a winter. 40 cords would last me four years. Also if your able to keep it dry it will last longer and with all the rain we have had. that's gonna be difficult.

Well I burned 12 cords last year more or less and sold a few four I think but I have not even tried to sell it and turn away many each year. I hate to sell it because it is too much work the way I am doing it now but the ones I have seen with the loaders that state 3 cords per hour I COULD BECOME A WOOD SELLER QUICK LOL! I would need tech help to build a simillar machine to what I see in the web sites but I already have A nice 17 horse twin Kohler for a power supply and a trailer house axle for road gear and heavy wall 2" square to build a loader so would have a nice start I would think!? I am trying to figure if 17 hp is enough and what gpm pump would be best 2 stage or single detent triple valve etc opinions suggestions are needed please.

Last edited:
There are a lot of rednecks down there by you out of work. Have one of them split all your wood for you on shares. They use your splitter and get a 1/3 or somethng like that. Just a thought.

Scott

Sorry for the highjack Rope....

You burn 10 CORDS a year!!!??!?!??? Wow....either they don't insulate your houses down there at all or you guys have some SERIOUS problems with cold!

I spent over an hour this morning sitting in wet grass with a 25mph wind blowing on me and my boy watching his sister at socker....about 40 degrees out but with sun. I had a t shirt and jeans on. Pants were soaked when I got up but both me and little man were fine...guess it takes some getting used to!!!

There are a lot of rednecks down there by you out of work. Have one of them split all your wood for you on shares. They use your splitter and get a 1/3 or somethng like that. Just a thought.

Scott

Lol that would be the last thing I would do I like my residence private lol! Also the fact that if one got hurt hmmmmm well no thanks.

Sorry for the highjack Rope....

You burn 10 CORDS a year!!!??!?!??? Wow....either they don't insulate your houses down there at all or you guys have some SERIOUS problems with cold!

I spent over an hour this morning sitting in wet grass with a 25mph wind blowing on me and my boy watching his sister at socker....about 40 degrees out but with sun. I had a t shirt and jeans on. Pants were soaked when I got up but both me and little man were fine...guess it takes some getting used to!!!

Lol I really need to underpin the trailer lmao!:cheers: I have a unique situation wife thinks its cold at seventy degrees lol I have a wood basement furnace I converted to odwf and ducted it into the trailer crude and a wood waster but my heating bill only 100 all winter per month!
Sometimes with my wife I have the window ac on and the registers in the living room closed and sleep on the couch I can't stand sweating in my sleep lol!

Lol I really need to underpin the trailer lmao!:cheers: I have a unique situation wife thinks its cold at seventy degrees lol I have a wood basement furnace I converted to odwf and ducted it into the trailer crude and a wood waster but my heating bill only 100 all winter per month!
Sometimes with my wife I have the window ac on and the registers in the living room closed and sleep on the couch I can't stand sweating in my sleep lol!

Ya....women can really run up the heating bill!

My house is 62 right now, I'm in shorts and a t shirt...will sleep with a fan blowing on me!

Of course in Feb/March, I was cutting wood with no shirt on at 30 degrees...walking around in knee deep snow...no wind and sun though.

Kalifornia only has a few advantages and the millions of illegal aliens here aint one of them. The weather is, however one of them.
At 3300' elevation it hit 105 today but the pool felt great. I love the desert here its dry and no humidity in the summer, but no rain for basically May thru Oct. Bugs are scarce, but the blue sky is above probably 250 days a year. Winter is clear and cold when its not raining or threatening, but usually not colder than 20. The governator is on his way out when you cut teachers and fireman jobs but leave illegal aliens benefits intact you have mis-judged even the most moderate voter.

I don't have the high production TW, but I did just get a TW-P1, and I love it. It is far faster than a friends horizontal/vertical, only issue is the big rounds. But so far I have just built up a ramp and rolled them up. I did drool over the TW-5 that the dealer had, but the $7200 price tag sort of killed that.

I work alone while splitting, and did it for some time with a maul, then last year I had a lot of apple to split so I borrowed my friends, and it worked. But this new timberwolf can really make the wood fast. It also helps that most of my wood is perfectly sized for the 4 way wedge.

Stephen

Back