There's Nothing Like A Nice Piece of Hickory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoutmasterRick

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A picture of a few rounds off a hickory I cut Monday. The big mockernut took a smaller scaly bark down with it (you can see part of the scaly bark in the lower left portion of the photo).

298470_1564296565199_1768941687_802521_1920944658_n.jpg

The bigger tree drove the trunk of the smaller one down on this boulder and split the boulder. It's a graphic reminder of the power these big trees have coming down! You can see an old skidder cable and choker that was laying on the boulder. its a left over from some logging that was done in the area about 30 years ago.

300436_1564297645226_1768941687_802524_472683257_n.jpg

296286_1564298445246_1768941687_802526_1432394333_n.jpg

I like to use Shag Bark Hickory to cook on. I like it a little on the greener side so it smokes what I am cooking. But you got to be careful using it, it burns insanley hot.

I like to use Shag Bark Hickory to cook on. I like it a little on the greener side so it smokes what I am cooking. But you got to be careful using it, it burns insanley hot.

Yep. If I'm burning hickory or locust i usually mix it in with something else like oak, cherry, or maple.

Alright, who's at the Elm here? Fir a while this stuff was funny but this is deciduously not Oak-K. Maple you haven't noticed but threads like this always devolve to "My Dogwood is smarter than your Catulpa" namecalling. Then the hardwoods blame the softwoods, the softwoods blame the hardwoods, and the only ones left at the coals are butt heads and deadfall. Eventually some weeping willow complains to the mods and the thread gets hemlocked. So could ya just prune it down a bit before we all end up lost in the undergrowth? Thanks.

It just stumps me how some people can't see the forest for the trees.

OP, never mind the nuts, that is a very nice piece of Hickory you've got there.

(All meant in good fun, of course.)

Alright, who's at the Elm here? Fir a while this stuff was funny but this is deciduously not Oak-K. Maple you haven't noticed but threads like this always devolve to "My Dogwood is smarter than your Catulpa" namecalling. Then the hardwoods blame the softwoods, the softwoods blame the hardwoods, and the only ones left at the coals are butt heads and deadfall. Eventually some weeping willow complains to the mods and the thread gets hemlocked. So could ya just prune it down a bit before we all end up lost in the undergrowth? Thanks.

It just stumps me how some people can't see the forest for the trees.

OP, never mind the nuts, that is a very nice piece of Hickory you've got there.

(All meant in good fun, of course.)

Holly cow! Olive you idiots are plum wacko! Watch your mouth or I'll palm you right in your Tulips, and that's being merciful. Just be glad I don't threaten to Boxelder you right in the buckeye.

Dont you mean ASH?

Sadly no, back when this movie was made you could not mention or show a nice piece of ash on TV. As you may have guessed the old Birches did not want the young Hollys to show their big pink azaleas or small douglas firs. Lucky for you the internet came along and now you can look at an old silver maple or young rosebud any time you want.

Last edited:
I owe the board an apology for my earlier outbirch. What ember was I thinking? I know it's butternut to say anything when I'm feeling crotchety but I was stressed and bushed and didn't follow the grain. Now I've made a mockernut out of myself. I'll just shagbark to lurking before someone gets mauled. Or maybe I'll just split instead. I can't face dis cord any longer.

Just be glad I don't threaten to Boxelder you right in the buckeye.

I cry Uncle! I'm knot going there. If you're ever in town just come on over. I'll buy you a pint of logger or a redbud. Well, unless your bite is worse than your bark...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back