Thermostat question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackGTX440

Reaction score
I Just installed a Central Boiler 5036. It isn't very cold here yet, so I haven't really started using it yet. I am just about finished with the install. I am down to just wiring up the thermostat. The guy I got the unit from said that it mounts right next to my existing thermostat for the propane forced air furnace. He said they are jumped together and I should set the forced air furnace thermostat about 5 deg cooler than the thermostat for the boiler. He said if I ever ran it out of wood, the propane/forced air would take over automatically. This all sounds well and good, but there are no instructions on how to wire this and jump these together. No instructions in the boiler manual, or the thermostat instructions. Does anyone have any idea how to do this?

I used a separate t-stat/relay to control the fan/circ. pump (for the furnace HX loop) and tied it into the output side of the fan relay on the furnace. That way I have no low voltage souces bucking against each other. I have no way to scan/upload a schematic myself, maybe someone else will. The most important thing to watch out for is...do this right the first time! Most all furnace manufacturers use solid state controls, most of which are mounted on a single PC board, and if you blow it, everything goes, and they are mucho $$ to replace. If in doubt, get an HVAC buddy a case of beer and let him wire it up...

If you have to completely separate systems with separate stat's why do you need to jump them together? Isn't the propane system just an independent backup for the boiler or do they share common componenets?

If you have to completely separate systems with separate stat's why do you need to jump them together? Isn't the propane system just an independent backup for the boiler or do they share common componenets?

He is going to need to run the fan on the furnace, hence the need to "tie together"....I assume he has an HX piped to the boiler mounted inside of the plenum.

I forgot to mention in my first post that I used a separate transformer with the t-stat/relay setup I did.

That makes more sense. Your idea of using a relay is a good one to keep the two systems independent.

I believe I have a similar setup to Mtfallsmikey. I used a White Rodgers Fan Control Center 8A05A-101 that I got from my CB dealer. Basically it is a relay and transformer in one package. Hook up your thermostat to the low voltage side and switch the hot to your fan motor on the output side. The "tying together" is done at the 120v connections. Mine is just a single speed fan so if yours is 2 speed or variable be careful or you could damage something expensive. I did mine myself but I have some electrical background, as has been said it might be a good idea to call in an electrician or hvac guy.

Here is a pic of my dusty setup.

attachment.php

I Just installed a Central Boiler 5036. It isn't very cold here yet, so I haven't really started using it yet. I am just about finished with the install. I am down to just wiring up the thermostat. The guy I got the unit from said that it mounts right next to my existing thermostat for the propane forced air furnace. He said they are jumped together and I should set the forced air furnace thermostat about 5 deg cooler than the thermostat for the boiler. He said if I ever ran it out of wood, the propane/forced air would take over automatically. This all sounds well and good, but there are no instructions on how to wire this and jump these together. No instructions in the boiler manual, or the thermostat instructions. Does anyone have any idea how to do this?
WELCOME!
I did mine that way but my memory is as long as my.... :censored:

Do some thread searching there are tons of threads with different scenarios.

Mine was cobbled out of parts I had laying around since the days when I had my own HVAC biz...used a 24v. 40va transformer, and a Honeywell R8222 relay, mostly used in older heat pumps/electric furnaces, which would switch 2 loads (circ. and fan), but there are a myriad of methods to do the same thing as rick2752 says....I also took an old gas upflow furnace, stripped it out except for the fan, mounted an HX in it, and used it to heat my shop, using a line voltage t-stat to run it.

Hello Jack and welcome. I just finished my 6048 install today, pretty exciting :biggrinbounce2: If you look in your owners manual page 42 figure 45, you will find the diagramyou need. It is the last page of the manual. how did the rest of the install go for you?

-Mike

http://www.centralboiler.com/Tech/C120.pdf

Good luck with your new 5036, been running mine for just one year now, but i'm looking forward to firing it up again.

I did all my install myself, and wiring the thermostat was the only thing I had to scratch my head on a little bit. I used this diagram when i set mine up and so far it has worked flawlessly.

Best of luck!!

cb 5036 Thermostat issues

I used only one thermostat to pull it off. It is a Hunter thermostat (model 44860) and i think it cost 50-60 bucks at lowes. It is a multi stage heating / ac thermostat. I didnt like the idea of having two thermostats mounted on the wall so i use this. Stage 1 of heating is wired to the fan set at 75 degrees or so, the next stage is for the gas furnace and it is set 5 degrees lower than the first stage and is wired to heating stage 2. I consulted my hvac guy and he confirmed that it is a great way to do so. It is really easy to setup and it is a touchscreen thermostat. This thermostat is worth every penny. It is also a 7 day programmable t-stat. We dont use the programs cus i work nights and my wife is home with our kid all day.

Hello Jack and welcome. I just finished my 6048 install today, pretty exciting :biggrinbounce2: If you look in your owners manual page 42 figure 45, you will find the diagramyou need. It is the last page of the manual. how did the rest of the install go for you?

-Mike

Sorry for the delay getting back! Thanks for all the replies! The Central Boiler dealer I got my boiler from is a friend of a friend. When I was doing the thermostat, he just happened to be gone on a hunting trip! Anyway, I figured it out. It was a piece of cake. All i did was jump the "R" wires together between the two thermostats, and I jumped the "W" on the old thermostat to the "C" on the new one (maybe it was vice versa, I can't remember. lol). That was it, just two wires. I set the new thermostat at 68 deg, and the old one at 62 deg. It works perfect! Besides the thermostat issue and breaking one faulty pex line hose clamp, and renting a JUNK core drill from home depot, it went great!

Latest posts

Back