They do exist...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Macbob down in Aussie land builds those for his copperhead racing thing he does...

I've seen it done with Mac kart engines too

For any multi-cylinder engine, ignition timing is paramount if they are to have balance and last. If they fire ten or 20 degrees off crank shaft balance, you have created a clunker.
Well, if each is balanced well enough as a single cylinder they won't be any worse linked at a random angle. If they are off angle you won't get any smoothness improvement, but somehow I doubt that was a priority on this one.

Sometimes when it's really off it might even sound like a Harley. :cold:

I like em shaky.... actually, it makes me wonder what the difference is in power output based on varying degrees of crank rotation between firing.... gotta love them harleys, and 2 cyl deeres too

I like em shaky.... actually, it makes me wonder what the difference is in power output based on varying degrees of crank rotation between firing.... gotta love them harleys, and 2 cyl deeres too

2 cylinder Deere tractors do not fire 180° apart, if I remember right, the pistons fire around 270° apart... that's where they get all of their torque from.

Not so sure about the Harleys. ;D

2 cylinder Deere tractors do not fire 180° apart, if I remember right, the pistons fire around 270° apart... that's where they get all of their torque from.

Not so sure about the Harleys. ;D
I'm not sure about jds either, but I believe the Harleys are only like 45°

The Deere 2 cylinders do have a 180 degree separation on the crank throws, but due to them being 4 stroke and the way the firing order is set up as well as camshaft timing you get fire fire nothing nothing, and the exhaust valve opens on the second cylinder before the first one closes and overlaps for 50 degrees, so it sounds more like fire-nothing-nothing.

Well, if each is balanced well enough as a single cylinder they won't be any worse linked at a random angle. If they are off angle you won't get any smoothness improvement, but somehow I doubt that was a priority on this one.

Sometimes when it's really off it might even sound like a Harley. :cold:

And no need for safety gear, "LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES":chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back