They don't make logging camps like this anymore.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Maybe some of you guys and gals remember seeing this on TV?

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CzGbmH61dhU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks like a simpler time and place. Something I would be interested in! Thanks for sharing.

I bet wages have not gone up much since those days. Damn shame. Most of the public land is all tied up now too.

I bet wages have not gone up much since those days. Damn shame. Most of the public land is all tied up now too.

It is sad...in fact the wages seem to have been frozen or even have gone down. There's not much of a timber industry left up here. There's only one medium sized mill left on the Tongass (Viking).

FW - Thanks for posting the vid...brings back some memories.

God, I hated living in camp but I find myself thinking I would go back and do it again if I could turn back the clock.

Good friend of mine lived in both the old Simpson camps. Grisdale and Govey. Had a few"stories".:msp_rolleyes:

To the best of my knowledge Mike finished his contract and retired I think . Then El Capitan Log moved in . They were in Coffman till LP closed down in Ketchikan . I've flown in both those planes . The 185 and the TyeeBeaver . One of the chocker dogs looked like Claton Smalley .

I cut timber there 4 different years . Started bushlin for Hull Cutting . Then cut for Jim Byron for most of a seadon then cut for Bueler on a State sale . 056s . Yuk . They would put the wood on the ground tho .

Coffman Cove is a city now . It is black top all the way from Hollis to Naukety . And all the way to Coffman .

Thanks for posting

Forestry Works

Thanks for posting the video! Tried to rep you but it was a no go! Just makes me think how logging has supported so many families with direct jobs and also spin off jobs.Wonder how many people really think of that!
Lawrence

Thanks Jameson,
Alaska wasn't the only place they had camps like that. My wife was raised the first 10 years of her life in a logging camp outside of Sacramento, New Mexico. When she was 10 her family moved to the big city of Cloudcroft where her dad went to work for the FS.
He was logging when they did it with a crosscut and an axe. He died before my wife & I met. Sure would have liked to listen to the stories he could have told. I know I've sure enjoyed the tales I've heard about him.

Andy

Thanks Jameson,
Alaska wasn't the only place they had camps like that. My wife was raised the first 10 years of her life in a logging camp outside of Sacramento, New Mexico. When she was 10 her family moved to the big city of Cloudcroft where her dad went to work for the FS.
He was logging when they did it with a crosscut and an axe. He died before my wife & I met. Sure would have liked to listen to the stories he could have told. I know I've sure enjoyed the tales I've heard about him.

Andy

Cool story, Andy. Have to go stomp around that area if I pass through next month.

Ole Geraldo was / is kind of a goof ball, but he'd try anything once, kind of looked like the saw was getting the best of him. As mentioned, that line when the tree begins to fall was priceless.

Latest posts

Back