they walk among us

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF we could just get banks to only round up and all businesses (selling to us) to round down.

They teach everyday math now. Never understood how it works, but from what I gather its rounding to the nearest whole #. Had an argument with a teacher, (if it costs $22 then $20 will not work) She said we are not talking reality. Can't help the kids do homework I guess.

When one of my daughters was in 3rd or 4th grade she was doing her math homework at the kitchen table, rounding and estimation. I looked at one problem and told her it wasn't right, that you can't round one number to the nearest 10 and the other to nearest 100. The way she had done it, the rounding error was almost as big as the answer. She said, no, that's how we're supposed to do it. The parent teacher conference was next week, and I told the teacher I was sure my daughter had misunderstood, but this is what she said. The teacher said, that's right, that's how we do it. I replied that she had to stop doing it that way because the answer was completely meaningless and there was NO TRANSACTION OR OPERATION THAT COULD BE DONE THAT WAY IN REAL LIFE. Teaching kids something that they'll have to forget is just messing with their heads. Had to go to the principal with that one; fortunately she agreed with me. Not sure I had anything to do with it but the teacher was gone the next year.

We're getting rid of the penny in Canada as we speak. Imagine how much of a #### up that's going to be. I think it will be nice though after they get things figured out.

They said it was costing 1.6 cents to make a penny.

Great job being involved as a parent and for taking it farther to the principal in the building. I truly wish more parents had, or took, the time to look closely at what it is their kids are doing at school. We have four kids 10, 9, and twins 7, and even as teachers we have trouble dragging out of them "what they did at school". Again, kudos to you for the involvement!

We're getting rid of the penny in Canada as we speak. Imagine how much of a #### up that's going to be. I think it will be nice though after they get things figured out.

They said it was costing 1.6 cents to make a penny.

If you want some back, I'm pretty sure most of them are in the U.S. I end up with a pocket full of the darn things at the end of every week!

...and special isn't always desirable.

I remember when you didn't want to be special, and it wasn't that long ago.

I actually like the rounding idea, up or down, if we could get rid of pennies and nickels. At the end of the day you'd probably come out about even. Most of our coinage costs more to produce than it's worth.

But, but...we've gotta keep printing/stamping out money...dat's how we stim-you-late the economics. On a serious note, can you imagine if engineers just rounded up or down...instead of dealing with those pesky decimals and fractions?

IF we could just get banks to only round up and all businesses (selling to us) to round down.

As a small business owner (and I mean small), I'd be happy to round up to any number you want! :msp_biggrin:

Counting change is getting to be a lost art:dizzy: Awhile ago we went to Menards the puters were shut down 5 min. early the manager was checking me out. The bill came to $97.50 he counted about 3 times then handed me a $5 bill. Itried to teach him the count back method but I dont think it worked.

not only is counting change a lost art, cash is a lost art. everything is debit or credit.

I was in a new walmart a few weeks ago. I noticed their register actually tells them what change to give. Not just the amount, it actually says "1 - $5 bill, 2 - $1 bills, 3 - quarters, 1 - dime, 4 - pennies."

So sad. A lot of stores are just going to automatic dispensers for the coins, then the employee only has to figure out the bills.

Quoted for truth.

Last time in a fast food joint, I get my total and it's $6.86. I hand the teenage girl $7.06. The idea is to hand me back two dimes instead of one dime and four pennies. What I get is a blank stare, .06 handed back to me and then my change, one dime and four pennies. Good Lord, we're doomed if this is the generation that's going to be assuming control of the world.
It is amazing how often they will try to hand you back the "extra" you just gave them! :dizzy:
I may just be tarded but where on the bar do you zip tie the nut? The nose? The middle? Around the clutch cover?

:msp_razz::msp_razz::msp_razz:
It tried a zip tie on the end of the bar, it kept breaking whenever I started the saw!!! :confused2: :laugh:

That just sets you up to be really annoyed when you realize you went into the woods without a knife :D

25 years ago I stopped at a McDonalds...

Heard the kid saying he was out of quarters.

My order was $4.25

I handed him $5.25

He called over the manager.

Manager got fustrated, and after they figured out to hand me a dollar, he told the kid to never accept something like that again.

:msp_unsure:

God help ya if ya ever try to pay with a $2 bill!! BTW, there was a pretty funny story 'bout this posted on the joke forum recently.
Here it is...http://www.arboristsite.com/joke-funny-picture-forum/218552.htm

Last edited:
I actually like the rounding idea, up or down, if we could get rid of pennies and nickels. At the end of the day you'd probably come out about even. Most of our coinage costs more to produce than it's worth.

gee you blokes are live'n in the dark age's we got rid of our 1 & 2 cent coins more than 20 years ago

gee you blokes are live'n in the dark age's we got rid of our 1 & 2 cent coins more than 20 years ago

We got rid of our 1 & 2 dollar bills long ago. Smallest bill we got is a 5.

Times have changed since many of us were in school. The days when you didn't need a Social Security # until you were old enough to drive... and only the girls learned to type, those days are long gone.

It's all computers now. Students are learning computers in preschool. Computers do it all for us. If the power goes out and the puters don't work, the establishment closes for business anyhow and ya don't need to count change. Or so goes conventional wisdom.

So the kid gets his first bank account and can't balance a checkbook or reconcile a statement because he wasn't in "that" classroom.

I guess the irritating aspect of mediocrity is the fact that far too many young folks are not prepared for higher education when they get there. That's just plain wrong. As a civilized society, we should do better than that.

One common misconception is that the teachers are to blame for the "new math" being taught. The curriculum being taught is decided by your school board or school superintendent, teachers have very little say in this selection. We finally got rid of the "Discover Math" curriculum in my son's school district, which was a disaster for several years. This is a little off topic but needs to be pointed out.

One common misconception is that the teachers are to blame for the "new math" being taught. The curriculum being taught is decided by your school board or school superintendent, teachers have very little say in this selection. We finally got rid of the "Discover Math" curriculum in my son's school district, which was a disaster for several years. This is a little off topic but needs to be pointed out.

This is very true. I am a special education teacher here in upstate New York. The NYS department of education decides on the curriculum for the entire state, and expects that all students will learn those concepts and skills. Even students with learning disabilities! Sorry for continuing off topic.:agree2:

I was in a new walmart a few weeks ago. I noticed their register actually tells them what change to give. Not just the amount, it actually says "1 - $5 bill, 2 - $1 bills, 3 - quarters, 1 - dime, 4 - pennies."

So sad. A lot of stores are just going to automatic dispensers for the coins, then the employee only has to figure out the bills.

There's a major fail in that system. They assume the clerk can read.

Harry K

Back