Things in trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
geofore

geofore

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've been sending pictures of things I have cut out of trees to George Ruggles at Oregon Chain. The biggest thing was a rake about 12' long that ended up in a tree after a wind storm and stayed there for years until some antique dealer saw it and the owner had me come cut it down. When the guy called he said he had a rake in a tree and I thought the kids threw a fan rake up in the tree and couldn't get it down. Bring your chainsaw should have tipped me off.

So far I've run into pipes, railroad ties, fence, nails( the old cut nails take the teeth off the chain), concrete to repair the tree, block 12", cable and chains used to lift engines out by the shade tree mecanic and left to heal over with out a trace untol it kills the tree years later.

Any of you charge extra for foriegn objects? I charge for broken equipment when I hit something and it breaks chains or tears up a saw.

Greg

ArboristSite Guru
I've hit nails and concrete(the worst!) but never charge extra. I typically show it to the homeowner if they are in the yard just because they find it interesting. I love the questions "how did they get that nail all the way into the center of the tree??" The nail was probably sticking out a few inches holding a hanging plant about 20yrs ago.
I always try to take a look at the tree and where it is in location to the house and yard and ask myself if that tree would be good for hanging plants, clothes lines, etc, and then add $25 to the bid to cover a chain. I think after the fact asking for $25 to cover a trashed chain sounds petty. If you don't have room in your price to cover small dollar incidentals you didn't price it right.
Greg

seanlarkin

seanlarkin

ArboristSite Guru
If you ever find a kite with the initials SL on it, could you return it to me? :) I remember seeing a picture of a tree that had had deer antlers nailed to it many years ago, and had grown around the ends of it, so it looks like the tree was growing antlers. I think that was in a TCI issue. I'll see if I can find it.
-Sean

Nickrosis

Nickrosis

Manned by Boderators
Husky,

I'm still choking because I was reading your post while drinking water - I won't make that mistake again! I can't believe it was still active!

Nickrosis

treeclimber165

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
I had one of those water spigot things, too. Last cut on a big crane removal in the 'historic' part of town. I cut into the line enough that I couldn't finish the cut untill we got the water shut off. That only took an hour or more.
I ended up cutting out the spigot- with wood grown around it to where only a little of the handle was showing- and set it on display at the office.

Stumper

Stumper

One Man Band
Lots of interesting stuff shows up in trees! My most amusing- a 12" tall articulated toy robot inside a Chinaberry. Most surprising -a 10" by 14" piece of sandstone in an oak 8-10 feet off the ground(put a brand new chain halfway through that one.:( Axle stubs in a pecan stump (do not grind well ha ha) the usual collection of fence posts and spikes(railroad and others). The scariest was a live gas line in a stump 4inches below grade!!!!! I got off of it without penetrating the pipe ( Thank You Lord) but what was the guy thinking when he installed that! (naturally he remembered it as soon as I hit it.)

treeman82

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
I got a call about a year ago to go get a cat out of a tree. Apparently it had not come out in several days and the owners were willing to pay to get it down. It's too bad that I was in the city that day, otherwise I would have gone.

jsirbasku

jsirbasku

ArboristSite Member
I once found a mature rabbitt carcuss bout 30 ft up a large red oak. Best i could figure was a large bird of prey had stopped up there for dinner after going thru the drive thru.( fly thru)
A racoon would have also been a possibilty I guess.