Things I've Learned This Winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avason

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This winter has been the worst. Here are some things that I learned this winter.
1. Eventhough you think you have enough wood to burn for the season you better double it up.
(I had around 8 cord of wood under my shed and about 2 cord of wood outside.)

2. If you have wood outside you better cover it up.
(I had around 2 cord of wood outside but guess what it snowed, snowed and snowed. Usually it snows then it melts, snows then melts...not this year!)

3. Don't say you will plow your inlaws driveway when they live 20 minutes away.
(They have a thousand foot driveway uphill with a turn around at the end.)

4. If you say you will plow their driveway make sure you are driving something a little bit more mint than a 1988 dodge dakota rust bucket with the clutch and slave going on it.
(I blew the clutch and spent two hours digging my self out of the driveway and had to get flatbed to get me out. I then had to spend the last hour in the flat bed while the guy made other calls.) My poor dog was sitting in the truck on the flatbed..lol

5. If you are dumb enough to do someone elses driveway, MAKE SURE YOU DO YOUR DRIVEWAY FIRST!!! You never know your nice 1988 truck might break!
(so after I get home on the flatbed I remembered that I did a crappy job on my own driveway..800 feet uphill!! Had to park my cars in my neighbors driveway and walk up. Oh yeah his driveway was plowed already because I did it!

Just wanted to share how my last couple of days have been going. It really sucked...but I did end up getting a nice 1997 dodge dakota with 100,000 miles on it with a curtis plow. I beat the hell out of it cleaning my driveway and she treated me very well,

I just don't want anyone being foolish like me...learn from my stupidity!

I am a :looser: :hmm3grin2orange:

don't feel bad, we all get ourselves into these situations @ one time or another. some people plop their money down and get a 4 year higher education all @ once.
some of US get a lifetime of education from the "University of the Street". At least your heart was in the right place.

;) On the bright side... Lessons learned the "hard way" are the ones you never forget. Learned my "plow" lessons years ago... By the way, maybe I can teach you one so you won't haf'ta learn it. Don't let anyone barrow your "plow" truck... I had to learn that one twice! :rolleyes:

If someone wants to borrow something of mine,I go along with it.Learned this the hard way.(TWICE)
Also when I bartor with someone I make sure they do their part first(Took a long time to learn this,LOL.)

I am with ya on the wood part! We got all kinds of wood but it is either wet or in 30" rounds (see splitter proj below) We went out to our treeline last weekend and cut down a dead blk locust to burn for the week. Must repeat that this weekend.

3 things i wont loan out chainsaws nvrnvrnvrnvrnvrnvr plowtruck nvrnvr wife nvr in that order lol jk plow truck seems to be getting most of my affection this year ,its worth it tho really puts out when the going gets deep

I had this guy (acquaintance) who wanted to borrow my brand new dump trailer. He was removing his asphalt driveway. I dropped it off for him, asked him to not overload it and went home. When I got home I started thinking. So an hour later I show up with a bathroom scale and a tape measure. After my calculations I figured it would be about 7 loads. He had it pretty full (by my accounts) and I asked him when he planned to dump it. He said oh i figure I can get half of the drive in there! Needless to say, He had a helper the rest of the day. Of course we ended up not using his 1/2 ton truck (go figure). Now you would figure I would have learned my lesson, but a year later he comes by and wants to haul some dirt. Being a dumb butt (me not him (his fate was sealed)), I reminded him that you cant just fill the box all the way up, and I let him go. When I get it back it has a dead battery and every underside surface had about 1/8" of road oil on it. He explained how much time it took him to clean off the rest of the oil that was all over the front and fenders with kerosene. Best I can figure is this guy made about 20 trips in 100 deg heat on oil and chip roads. That trailer did not even have a scratch on it when I gave it to him. A year after that all the paint from the area he cleaned is gone. I guess from the beating from the rocks hitting it. Funny he don't come around any more.

Last edited:
There is only one exception to my rule of never loan anything to anybody.

My Dad died suddenly in the summer of '81. A few days later, I was putting small square bales of hay in a barn. Since I had no help, I would put 25 bales on the elevator, go stack them and do it again. A neighbor of mine saw me doing this and stopped to ask why it was taking me so long to get those bales in the barn. I told him what my situation was and he spent the rest of that day and all of the next day putting bales in the elevator so I could be in the barn stacking them. After 2 days of helping me all he would take was a 12 pack of beer.

He can borrow my splitter any time, for as long as he needs it. It always comes home with a full tank of gas and cleaner than when he got it.

i have one guy i loan to

he borrowed my two man auger it was old a lil worn when it came back he had taken it to a machine shop had them make a new cutter head for it and then returned it. i tease him tell him i have some other worn out stuff he can use anytime

Whenever I borrow anything, it gets returned in better shape. One guy lent me a hand planer, and I put a new and longer power cord on it.

Neighbor borrowed my truck, punctured a tire, and replaced it with a brand new one without even asking me. I would have told him not to bother, and to use one of the many spares I had.

We're good folk down here in southern IL. I wish we could kick Cheatago out of the state.

Whenever I borrow anything, it gets returned in better shape. One guy lent me a hand planer, and I put a new and longer power cord on it.

Neighbor borrowed my truck, punctured a tire, and replaced it with a brand new one without even asking me. I would have told him not to bother, and to use one of the many spares I had.

We're good folk down here in southern IL. I wish we could kick Cheatago out of the state.

i borrower a buddys kubota , popped front tire. when i went to get new one the size was odd so i hada buy 2 to get em to match

There is only one exception to my rule of never loan anything to anybody.

My Dad died suddenly in the summer of '81. A few days later, I was putting small square bales of hay in a barn. Since I had no help, I would put 25 bales on the elevator, go stack them and do it again. A neighbor of mine saw me doing this and stopped to ask why it was taking me so long to get those bales in the barn. I told him what my situation was and he spent the rest of that day and all of the next day putting bales in the elevator so I could be in the barn stacking them. After 2 days of helping me all he would take was a 12 pack of beer.

He can borrow my splitter any time, for as long as he needs it. It always comes home with a full tank of gas and cleaner than when he got it.
those types---are F E W and far between!!!!!!

out of the usa!!!

Lent out splitter to co worker.Motor got oil locked from bouncing down the road . He broke the pull cord trying to start it and brought it back broken.

just lent out my chain saw to the neighbor. She calls me and says it runs but chain wont turn . Brake was on. Wonder how much clutch wear i just got from that episode?

I hate lending stuff because there are little tricks that the borrower just doesn't know .

Lent out splitter to co worker.Motor got oil locked from bouncing down the road . He broke the pull cord trying to start it and brought it back broken.

just lent out my chain saw to the neighbor. She calls me and says it runs but chain wont turn . Brake was on. Wonder how much clutch wear i just got from that episode?

I hate lending stuff because there are little tricks that the borrower just doesn't know .
What is oil lock....never heard of it. Can you explain..thanks

Latest posts

Back