Things we have learned the hard way

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no matter how careful you are, those little carb springs will always manage to go shooting across the room. A clean floor, and quick eye makes them slightly easier to find.

Happened today. After a real pisser of a day with mowers and customers, figured I'd end the day quietly with fuel lines and carb kit on a plastic Poulan. Got done & went to test run it. My hand nearly hit the ceiling from lack of compression. I hadn't checked. What makes me mad is that I knew better because all of our business is homeowners and more than half of these saws come through the door already destroyed.

Happened today. After a real pisser of a day with mowers and customers, figured I'd end the day quietly with fuel lines and carb kit on a plastic Poulan. Got done & went to test run it. My hand nearly hit the ceiling from lack of compression. I hadn't checked. What makes me mad is that I knew better because all of our business is homeowners and more than half of these saws come through the door already destroyed.

I can't believe anyone would take one of them in for repairs! Kinda like putting perfume on a pig, isn't it?

Ted

I can't believe anyone would take one of them in for repairs!
Ted

The ones that have been treated in a half-decent manner and with very few hours run time live long enough for the cheap lines to get hardened by the cheap gas, along with the diaphragms.

just because there is spark, doesn't mean it is hot enough. after a new carb, new fuel lines, new filter, rebuilding the newly purchased carb, OH.......and a NEW spark plug that I purchased before everything, and never installed due to already having spark. That 021 will be responsible for my first grey hair when they decide to grace me with their presence.

I've ran into this several times. Just like a plug that makes a pretty blue spark outside the engine, but will not fire under compression. Try explaining that to a customer. He brought me his saw later with a pissy attitude because it had fuel and spark but wouldn't run. I replaced the plug and started it up. Called him ten minutes later to come get it. Really not a pleasant guy when he heard it was just a spark plug. He was convinced I was BS'n him until he heard it run. Still with a scowl, he paid and left. Um, yeah, you're welcome.

Don't pick up a saw you've ignored for awhile and install a bar and chain giving no thought to chain pitch. I put a 3/8 chain on a .325 sprocket or vice versa forever ago, and could NOT figure out why the chain was bound! I mean the chain brake was not engaged, what's going on?! :mad:

Lesson learned, pay attention.:oops:

Try explaining that to customers... I don't charge for getting flooded saws to start, but I'm probably going to start. They always think it's something expensive.

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras"
Diagnostic time. When they bring their item to your shop they are asking you to solve their problem and are expecting to pay for the service. Until the landlord provides free service, it's ok for you to charge for yours.

I know two guys who own garages. One charges for diagnostic time and the other does it for free.

In my opinion, this is ONLY a problem when you are wearing one piece coveralls and all the stench wants to escape around the neck! :eek:

Or a heavy overcoat, and especially if wearing a poncho or other rainwear.

Flywheels have big magnets. Lots of little things stick to magnets.

Yeah like the cranknut. I was putting the flywheel back the other day and searched high and low for the nut. Had no idea where it went because I hadn't moved from the bench after I took it off.

It was stuck to the underside of the flywheel.

Back