Thinkin' of trading the Motorcycle...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ted J

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know a number of members have motorcycles, so I'm trying to make a decision....

I'm wanting a bandmill, not to go into production, but for personal use only, to mill my own wood for wood projects and such. I'm just not to sure what I want. It doesn't have to be a portable job, as I have a three sided barn I was going to house it in and use. It can be electric or gas powered. I'm thinking of offering to trade my Motorcycle for a bandmill, or just sell it outright. I have a 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa LTD, stock, but with a full blown Scorpio alarm system. It's valued at about $9500+ with about 3800 miles.

The reason I’m thinking of letting the bike go? We moved farther out of town, and my work commute went from 15 to 55 miles. Wife feels safer with me taking the truck to work rather than the bike, considering it is an hour ride to work, and a little longer coming home.

Also, with all the honeydo’s and modifications happening at the new house, the bike is not getting ridden as much on the weekends, and I hate to just let it sit. So, if ya got any OPINIONS, let me know.

Pictures of the bike is posted in the Readers rides Forum Here.

Also, here is a review of the bike:

Ted

Yesterday I posted in the wanted forum "To trade the bike for a bandmill", after searching I couldn't find the ad at all. Dang if I knew what happened to it? I thought I messed up somwhere along the way in the 3 step ad submittal process.
Well, now I find it. (If one of the moderators want to delete this thread, I'll understand.)
But I'm still torn on whether I should get rid of the bike.....?????
Ted

I am a toy junky and bleed Harley orange. My band mill is one of the cheapest toys I own. I have a LL24 from Norwood. It cost less than $3000 and does not own me a dime (I can’t say that about my other toys). Keep the bike (freedom) and look into starter mills. Good luck.

Good Post MJR, Agree.

Or you could sell the Busa, use some of the money for a mill and buy an older used bike?
I've got several old ones but this one in particular, a Yamaha FJ1100 from 1984 is what I've been riding round on all summer. It's upgraded with R1 brakes, wheels and modern radials and upgraded suspension. It don't eat (except a little insurence money) gets 50mpg regularly, and has a top box (removable) on the luggage rack and a tank bag that allows me too carry groceries etc.. This old bike is the last of the air cooled dinosaurs which makes it simple too maintain but with modern stopping power. I've had it since the 90s and maybe have $3500 total into it. Sure has paid that back! Get yourself a small mill (your not going into production) and an older bike. Have both!:cheers:
attachment.php

I agree with the older bike idea, although I might be a little biased. I have a 1980 Suzuki GS550L and a 1982 Honda CB750K (the CB750s have a sort of legacy). I purchased both for next to nothing (well, it was a lot at the time because I was in college). Granted, I have spent some time and money fixing them up and restoring them a bit, but both now drive wonderfully. I've probably put $1K into the Honda, including initial purchase.

You don't have to go with a bike that old, but there's certainly plenty of older quality bikes that would allow you to have a bike and bandmill at the same time. I personally get a lot of enjoyment out of fixing up older "classics" like mine and seeing them run again.

Here's a picture of the Suzuki (just after I painted the tank and side covers). Don't have one of the Honda handy.
gs550_2.JPG

Best of luck with your decision.

--Tyler

When my wife got her motorcycle license I bought her a Kawasaki 100cc two stoke enduro – the green monster – to practice on. $600 used, road legal, insurance next to nothing, 45mph up hill / 65mph down hill, and I think it makes its own gas. She rode it for a week and got laughed at. I told her not to ware her pink Harley coat. Now we fight over the Fat Boy and I ride the green monster most of the time. It is funny how things work out. No worries for speeding tickets…

If you have small volume requirements, csm would work very well.

Good luck.

Well lets do some numbers

110 miles/day at 15mpg(truck)=7.33 gallons/day x $4.00/gallon=$29.20
110/ 40mpg(bike)= 2.75 gallons x $4 = $11.00

$19.20 per day savings or $4992 per year. Now take out $800 for 2 sets of tires and you have $4192 left.

So how much is this mill you want to buy?

I would keep the bike or trade it for something more practical/comfortable, and get the mill.

That was easy. :clap:

Well lets do some numbers

110 miles/day at 15mpg(truck)=7.33 gallons/day x $4.00/gallon=$29.20
110/ 40mpg(bike)= 2.75 gallons x $4 = $11.00

$19.20 per day savings or $4992 per year. Now take out $800 for 2 sets of tires and you have $4192 left.

So how much is this mill you want to buy?

I would keep the bike or trade it for something more practical/comfortable, and get the mill.

That was easy. :clap:

+1 too that CJK,

I gassed up today. Took 3 1/2 gallons and I'd gone 176 miles on the odometer. That's 50mpg! Not bad for the old gal (1100cc) I:cheers: t will certainly get less than that if you know what I mean, but as old as I am, I tend too tool around and enjoy the ride.

Good Post MJR, Agree.

Or you could sell the Busa, use some of the money for a mill and buy an older used bike?
I've got several old ones but this one in particular, a Yamaha FJ1100 from 1984 is what I've been riding round on all summer. It's upgraded with R1 brakes, wheels and modern radials and upgraded suspension. It don't eat (except a little insurence money) gets 50mpg regularly, and has a top box (removable) on the luggage rack and a tank bag that allows me too carry groceries etc.. This old bike is the last of the air cooled dinosaurs which makes it simple too maintain but with modern stopping power. I've had it since the 90s and maybe have $3500 total into it. Sure has paid that back! Get yourself a small mill (your not going into production) and an older bike. Have both!:cheers:
attachment.php

Zodiac! Thats a nice looking bike for an 84.....great shape.....heck a mill and that bike=wet dreams!

I agree on selling bike for an older one and getting the mill. If you want the same mill that I've got (Linn Lumber 36" bandmill with 15hp motor) you can get it from a guy in Michigan completely built and on a small trailer for around $5,600. He is the cheapest guy I know of for the quality of the mill offered (trailer quality is ok....not the best....but it gets it from A to B easily). If you want his info then let me know :). Heres an ok Picture of the mill below and a block to show how it cuts......very smooth. I could drum sand it to thickness instead of plaining :).

Cheers to both :cheers:

+1 too that CJK,

I gassed up today. Took 3 1/2 gallons and I'd gone 176 miles on the odometer. That's 50mpg! Not bad for the old gal (1100cc) I:cheers: t will certainly get less than that if you know what I mean, but as old as I am, I tend too tool around and enjoy the ride.

MAN... I wish it was as easy as that.

First: The truck is a deisel. I pump about 30 gal a week into it ($140)

Second: I just put two tires on it ($650) and I'll need two more in about a month. (The tires have been on a little more than 2 years).

NOW HOLD ON.... I know what your thinking, I could stop right there. What better reason to stop taking the truck to work and ride the bike, right. Just in fuel charges alone I could have a bandmill half paid for, in less than six months, just riding to work as often as possible. SEE, you forgot about point #3

Three: Per the original post... [\b]Wife feels safer with me taking the truck to work rather than the bike, considering it is an hour ride to work, and a little longer coming home. Analyze this for a second... it means "I don't want you to ride the bike to work, I'm afraid something is going to happen to you, what happens if you hit another deer?" (I hit a deer while driving the truck).
Now, you wonder how did I know this is what she meant? Easy, I asked... and that's what she said "I don't want you to ride the bike to work!!!"

Zodiac45,
The bike gets decent mileage, as I don't get my wrist into it too often. I too tend to tool around and enjoy the sites when on the bike. It would drive my stepson nuts when we rode together because he wanted to go fast. Just because it's the fastest bike doesn't mean I have to go fast. (I guess this almost 50 year old was just slowing him down.) since he wrecked his GSXR1000 we haven't ridden together much, he keeps asking to ride mine... uhhh, NO!
That is a nice Yamaha you got there though, I like the color scheme. What you need are some Tomahawk tires in red::chainsaw:
01fj1200.jpg

http://www.cycletires.com
http://www.cycletires.com/gallery.htm

Last edited:
I saw that about the wife, but figured I better not tell you my opinion.

You may set a precedence with caving in on this if you really want to keep riding motorcycles. But in the end you have to do what YOU think is the right thing for your family.

It doesnt sound like money has anything to do with this decision.

Yup... take off the skirt :kilt: and exchange it for some leathers... LOL and promise the wife that you'll stop dressing from her side of the closet...:hmm3grin2orange:

Ian

$9500 seems a bit high, I know of couple Busas similar for sale for $7K, and they aren't selling.

You might have to lower your price more than you'd like to sell it, and then be bummed cuz you don't have it.

I ride an '02 LE Busa, and a turbo gsxr1K I wouldn't trade for a sawmill. That's just not right.

ry%3D320

Ted,
I just sold my Honda Valkyrie that I had for 10 years. I was only putting about 1,000 miles a year on it. And I also realized that if I went down, it would be catastrophic. You can always get another bike.
Good luck,

I thought your lady was riding with you on the bike to work. I reread your post and realized I was wrong. I fully understand trying to keep your lady happy (the disposal fee is very high). The two of you should agree to disagree. I have had more issues logging, cutting firewood, and milling than I ever had riding. Take out more life insurance, give the wife a kiss, and give it more gas…

I saw that about the wife, but figured I better not tell you my opinion.

You may set a precedence with caving in on this if you really want to keep riding motorcycles. But in the end you have to do what YOU think is the right thing for your family.

It doesnt sound like money has anything to do with this decision.

Her only issue is me riding to work, She doesn't mind if I decide to go riding on a Sunday afternoon. It's being in the Houston rushhour traffic for an hour drive time that she has an issue with. If it was a fifteen minute ride like before the move she's OK with it. As far as money being the issue, no, not really, I can save it up and buy it, just did't want to have to dip into any current savings, I got retirement to think 'bout:dizzy:

Yup... take off the skirt :kilt: and exchange it for some leathers... LOL and promise the wife that you'll stop dressing from her side of the closet...:hmm3grin2orange:

Ian

Dayeem Ian...... :cry: LOL
I thought things felta little too tight and, and especially that single strand of....:confused: LOL

You guys are too much :buttkick:

$9500 seems a bit high, I know of couple Busas similar for sale for $7K, and they aren't selling.

You might have to lower your price more than you'd like to sell it, and then be bummed cuz you don't have it.

I ride an '02 LE Busa, and a turbo gsxr1K I wouldn't trade for a sawmill. That's just not right.

that's one of the other issues, it's a buyers market, even though it's more economic on gas.

The dealers weren't even requiring full coverage on new bikes, well at least Suzuki didn't at the time I bought this in 2005.

I'm leaning more towards keeping it than getting rid of it at this point. It's not costing me anything except insurance, $40 buck a month for full coverage if I remember right.

Ted

Last edited:
Ted,
I just sold my Honda Valkyrie that I had for 10 years. I was only putting about 1,000 miles a year on it. And I also realized that if I went down, it would be catastrophic. You can always get another bike.
Good luck,

She see's the way some of these people drive, talking on their cell phone, totally oblvious to their surroundings, without a care in the world. I told here a rider has to assume that every car on the road is going to run them over, you have to ride defensively at all times, but not to the point where your paranoid about every car. There's a fine line there I know.

I thought your lady was riding with you on the bike to work. I reread your post and realized I was wrong. I fully understand trying to keep your lady happy (the disposal fee is very high). The two of you should agree to disagree. I have had more issues logging, cutting firewood, and milling than I ever had riding. Take out more life insurance, give the wife a kiss, and give it more gas…

Yea, she's just worried about me and doesn't want anything to happen to me. That's why she would rather me drive the truck to work than take her car, she gets a little more than 20mpg in her car. She just wants me to be safe, whatever it takes to make her happy.
attachment.php

She say's whatever I want to do is fine with her.:rockn:
Ted

Latest posts

Back