Thinning out Jack/yellow pine to allow hardwoods to grow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildeman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
In another post i was suggested a book for woodlot management and plan on getting it, but on my six acres would it be worth my time to drop the yellow pines (i think they grow to about 50 feet then the tops break off) to allow the hardwood more light etc. I have lots of big oaks, locust and hickory and maples. I plan on cutting out the dead of those for firewood and ordering a dump truck of logs once a year. I really want a health wooded area that can provide me with some wood. oh yea I hate those pines they scare me?!

I see no reason to not cut the pines out if you don't want them there. If they have enough diameter to them, mill 'em to make a wood shed.

In fifty or sixty years, you'll have a good stand of hardwoods. I hope you find it worthwhile to take care of the land and pass it on in better shape. Go for it! Six acres is not too small to work with.

It's great that you are concerned about the long term health of your forest and are willing to learn! That is often times rare with landowners. Especially those with smaller tracts. In most cases it may be better to remove the pines to let the hardwoods grow, but keep in mind that every site is different and without knowing all variables, it can be difficult to make the best recommendation. You and your woodlot might benefit from seeking the advice of a professional forester. Call your local state forestry agency office or talk to a private consultant. The consultant may charge a nominal fee, but the agency advice will be free. They should be able to walk the site and give some sound advice and possibly even help you get started on a learning path to where you feel very comfortable making management decisions yourself. Good luck!

Back