Thinning The Bar Oil: Too Viscous For Low-Temp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitroman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My trusty-crusty 394 is having oiling issues. After warm-up if I hold the throttle for a low-moderate chainspeed, I can see the oil glistening on the chain. Now when I open her up for the wood, the chain runs dry. My adjusting screw is opened three full turns, this should be squirting oil everywhere.

I bought a gallon ($20.00 USD!!!), jug of Husky low-temp oil and it doesn't work too well. I even used a heat-gun to warm up the oil tank before doing some cutting.

Before I order a new oil pump and worm gear, how do those of you who cut in cold temps thin the oil?

Right now it is -10*F (-23*C), outside and the day usually will warm to maybe +5*F (-15*C) to +8*F (-13*C).

Thanks.

I was milling a few weeks ago when it was in the 20's using the Stihl cold weather oil and it seemed to be working pretty good. It might be hard to keep anything flowing really well at -10 though.

Have you tried running it in a heated garage after it's warm just to see if it works?

Not a heated garage, but yesterday I played the heatgun all over the tank until it was toasty warm to my hand. It worked fine until I started cutting, then the heat pretty much dissipates. Out herein the Bush it is hard to find an enclosed, heated space unless you bring the saw into the house and let it st on cardboard. But then the gasoline begins to expand as the saw warms up and you start getting fumes = bad.

My trusty-crusty 394 is having oiling issues. After warm-up if I hold the throttle for a low-moderate chainspeed, I can see the oil glistening on the chain. Now when I open her up for the wood, the chain runs dry. My adjusting screw is opened three full turns, this should be squirting oil everywhere.

I bought a gallon ($20.00 USD!!!), jug of Husky low-temp oil and it doesn't work too well. I even used a heat-gun to warm up the oil tank before doing some cutting.

Before I order a new oil pump and worm gear, how do those of you who cut in cold temps thin the oil?

Right now it is -10*F (-23*C), outside and the day usually will warm to maybe +5*F (-15*C) to +8*F (-13*C).

Thanks.

Add a small amount of kerosene to that jug of oil and it will thin it right out. A half a coffee cup to a gallon will be plenty. Works like a charm in cold weather..

Not a heated garage, but yesterday I played the heatgun all over the tank until it was toasty warm to my hand. It worked fine until I started cutting, then the heat pretty much dissipates. Out herein the Bush it is hard to find an enclosed, heated space unless you bring the saw into the house and let it st on cardboard. But then the gasoline begins to expand as the saw warms up and you start getting fumes = bad.

Yeah, I suppose a garage wouldn't really get much use where you are.

The kerosene trick sounds interesting. If that works I'm guessing you could use diesel fuel too, depending on what is the cheapest out there.

ive been doing some cutting up here in fairbanks and had the same problems as you have been. I thinned my oil with diesel and it seems to be alot better at lower temps, i cut one day at -10 and it worked fine. Not too much longer and we wont have to worry about it until next year. :cheers:

Remms

Yep as Tom mentioned a bit of kerosene will thin it for you.

Have you taken the B&C off and looked at the oil port. Make sure you are pumping oil (should flow even at a high idle) and clean up the oil hole in the bar, make sure there's no crud in and around that area. I've been using 10wt bar oil all winter and my saws really sling it. Quite messy, but effective.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the tips and replies. I did take the bar off and cleaned everything up, but there appeared to be no blockage. I will do as suggested and remove the chainbrake and bar then let the engine run to make sure the pump is working.

I like to use a jug of bar oil that only has a quart of oil left in it. Dump some diesel in it and shake it up. You can tell when it has enough by how it sloshes. It is easy to get too much diesel.

Lots of good replies!!! Have cut with diesel or with lighter motor oil . Sometimes you can find an old case of 10W at a tag sale, that works good.

Warm up the saw, besides good for motor it's heat will start to warm the oil/pump.

P.S. I've only cut/milled at -10 of, Alaska , I'm just guessing at????

out of curiosity

My adjusting screw is opened three full turns

this sound a little like 'angel of darkness' problem with his 572?
i remember something about his manual saying turns instead of clicks, concerning oil pump adjustment.
he (AoD) 'turned' and ruined the oiler did he not?

probably apples and oranges

Back