Thinning the Herd (MS361,460,660)?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneoldbanjo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Last year I purchased a couple of new saws and a very nice used one. The blame for this can somewhat be blamed on Duke Energy as they came in and dropped about 200 trees in the power line easement - and the other part can be blamed on the CAD that I acquired on this site.

I had asked the tree service doing the work to leave the trees in long lengths so that I could drag them back to my woodpile to cut them up - but it turns out that the message never actually got to the fellows running the saws and they cut them up in weird lengths ranging from 12" to 48". The lengths were so weird and varied that they are hard to stack and/or require some additional cutting. I was however able to get about 50 chords stacked and stored for future use.

Now to the question. I currently have 4 very nice saws, an MS192T, an MS260, an MS361 and an MS660. I want to keep the MS192T as it is very handy for brush and limbing. I want to keep the MS260 as it is very light and nimble and works well for anything up to about 10" in diameter - it is the saw I use the most. I also want have a "big" saw for the Hickory, Oak, Maple and Ash trees that are aging on my property and need to be cut up when they fall down. Most of the big trees are 24" or less and on occasion I will get a 36" tree - but that is somewhat uncommon. I want to be able to cut rounds into 24" lengths to fit into my splitter - and I want to be able to make lots of noodles in a reasonably short time when I can't easily load the big rounds and need to cut them into halves or quarters.

I think the MS361 may be a little too close in size to the MS260 and may not quite be up to the task of quartering large rounds that are 24" long (I have a 20" bar on my MS361). The jump between the MS260 and the MS660 may be a bit too big and I may be trying to use a saw that is too small or too big for most of the wood I cut. Currently I only use the MS660 about once or twice a year - but it sure does a nice job on the big stuff.

I am thinking about the possibility of selling the MS361 and MS660 and getting an MS460. My lineup would be the MS192T,MS260 and MS460. I have never owned or run a MS460......is that a nice powerful saw without the bulk of the MS660? Would a MS440 be a better choice for my needs? I am 53 and in good shape and I plan on running these saws for another 20 years or so!!!!

Just my thoughts, but I would keep the 361 and the 660 and dump the 260. The 260 is a little light for some of it, the 361 does everything, and it cures cancer. The 660 can cut anything that you would ever need to cut, including stumps and it isn't too heavy to use in place of a 460.

50 cord holy crap! trake some pics please! i have a 066 i agree it is a bulky saw. im just a little guy (about a buck and a half if i get caught in the rain) the 066 is a great saw from my limited experiance. ive never ran a 460 but id like to someday.

i guess it depends if you come across big wood fairly often or not. if not you can send the 660 packing.

460 would be perfect for what u are doing. I own 1 with about 9 tanks of fuel through it and it just gets better and better.:rock:

If you rarely have anything over 24" get the 460.
192,260,460...you allready knew the answer

Just purchased the 460 about 2 weeks ago, working on the 2nd tank. muffler mod and 100LL fuel, retuned w/tach. That thing is a beast, just been cutting on some rounds I have so far to break it in, has'nt been WOT yet. Love it!!!

Just purchased the 460 about 2 weeks ago, working on the 2nd tank. muffler mod and 100LL fuel, retuned w/tach. That thing is a beast, just been cutting on some rounds I have so far to break it in, has'nt been WOT yet. Love it!!!

Don't run at half throttle trying to baby it for a break-in period. Run it WOT and let the saw do what it was designed to do. Congrats on the saw. I want one but can't yet justify it.

If I were in your shoes, I would start giving some thought to anti-vibe. The older I get, the less I like to run saws that use my hands as shock absorbers. I don’t know why, but I am really feeling it this year. I would think long and hard before I ditched the ms361 for a 460 especially if you intend to spend long hours behind the saw.

Thinning the herd

I got rid of an 066 and bought a MS 460 Magnum. Love it. Not nearly as heavy as an 066. It makes quick work of the bigger rounds.

Next I got rid of an MS 270 and got the MS 361. No regrets here either. The MS 361 has become my go to saw. It is my favorite.

For the smaller stuff I like the MS 170. Very nice light little saw.

I am 62 and have no problems handling the saws above. I would not like to have to run the 460 all day now. I recently bucked a 53 foot long 24 inch in diameter hard maple with the 460. It made quick work of it. I was glad to get back to the lighter saws. I will keep the 460 for a few more years and then rely on the 361 for the wood I want.
I hope you have many more safe years of wood cutting.

Expect the best.

Keep the 660 and the 361, they are two of the best if not the best saws Stihl ever made.

I'm with Burvol. Keep the 192 for the limbs, 361 with 16in for the large branches and the 660 with 24in for the trunks. You wouldn't have to buy another saw...I know :bang:, some coin for you selling the 260 and you have increased your cutting speed for the next 50 cords :rock: My setup is 034 and 066 with the aboved mentioned size bars. It is a nice fit for the size of wood that I cut. Like you not much over 24inch here.

Brian

You will like the 460, but I see no reason to turn loose of any of the others. They will last a long time, and longer if you alternate between them. Just Idle them dry when done using them, if you think they'll be sitting a month or more. Chainsaws are just plain good fun, and when you need one, they sure are handy.

A 460 with a dual port muffler, slightly richened H screw, a 20" ES bar and RSC chain is hard to beat! (CLAFBOH)

I recently purchased a 460 and really like it. But you said that you only use the 660 once or twice a year. If you kept the 361 you would probably only use the 460 that much as well. You already hve the saws that you need but sometimes it is fun just going and buying new saws too.

I try to keep the throttle moving, not to run at a certain rpm. Im sure everybody has there own opinion on break-in. Just what i chose to do until the 4th or 5th tank then I'll let her rip. thanks for the heads up books!!

I would drop the 066 and 192. And get the 460. The 260 will do every thing the 192 and then some. There will be less bending over when you limbing. Plus if you get any one to help I think the top handle is to dangers for the beginners.

I appreciate everyones replies. The 192T is staying......it is so handy when doing Honesuckle or brush work. After the cut is made I can pull the brush out with my left hand without having to set the saw down and then go in for another cut - it is so much handier for working on the small stuff than a conventional saw. It also is cheapest saw I own and doesn't cost much to keep.

I am still undecided on the other two - I guess the thing to do is put them up for sale at a reasonable price and see what happens. I am not apt to go buy a 460 until I sell my other saw(s).......(A faint ray of hope that I may be recovering from my CAD/CAS)?

Sell the 660, and use the cash to have your 361 ported. Here's blsnelling's mod'd 361, running a 28" bar.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zoc3EXmbil8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zoc3EXmbil8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back