Third time on spurs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccraig4444

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been an arborist for quite a few years now working for a municipality. I was crew foreman and I know how to dismantle a tree and rig, but I only ever used a bucket truck. I left to work for a local tree company a few months ago. I asked to learn how to climb because it's the one thing I really haven't done yet. First time out he had me spur two fifty foot spruce. Next time he lifted me up in the bucket truck so I could top another spruce I was probably about 75 feet up. Tomorrow is my third time on spurs and it's a 100 foot pine between two cabins. Pretty much the whole tree needs to be rigged out. The guys training me has 22 years experience. Is this too much too soon?

I've been an arborist for quite a few years now working for a municipality. I was crew foreman and I know how to dismantle a tree and rig, but I only ever used a bucket truck. I left to work for a local tree company a few months ago. I asked to learn how to climb because it's the one thing I really haven't done yet. First time out he had me spur two fifty foot spruce. Next time he lifted me up in the bucket truck so I could top another spruce I was probably about 75 feet up. Tomorrow is my third time on spurs and it's a 100 foot pine between two cabins. Pretty much the whole tree needs to be rigged out. The guys training me has 22 years experience. Is this too much too soon?
Just too add in. I haven't had any other training besides the first three trees

The answer is in the question. Since you're asking the question, it's too soon for you.

And yes, that's pretty soon for a new.climber.
Appreciate the advise. I have been thinking hard on this one since I was told it was going to be my climb and I think your right. Better to get some more experience.

Some other questions:

Do you have another climber and a second set of climbing gear on site?

You said you have been there a few months... as a groundie? Have you been able to observe another climber during that time?

Were you exposed to climbers while working for the city?

As an aside, welcome to AS, and I'm glad you joined to ask advice. I see you're in Alberta... I used to live in Calgary. Some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen.

Some other questions:

Do you have another climber and a second set of climbing gear on site?

You said you have been there a few months... as a groundie? Have you been able to observe another climber during that time?

We're you exposed to climbers while working for the city?

As an aside, welcome to AS, and I'm glad you joined to ask advice. I see you're in Alberta... I used to live in Calgary. Some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen.
Yes it really is. Especially out where we are working and to answer your questions.
Yes there is another climber on site with gear.
I've mostly been on the ground at this job besides the climbing mentioned in the first post and a little free climb pruning in some small stature trees.
I was never exposed to climbing at my last jobs although I have had many conversations with arborists, studied the climbers handbook and have seen a few demonstrations.

I'd be a bit more concerned about the quality of instructions, rather than the duration of exposure. I think our novice climber probably has shown a great deal of expertise up in the bucket. Most of the rigging and cutting problems are the same, whether in a bucket or on rope. Obviously, it is easier to cut your rope than to crash your aerial device, but it's not that big a difference in outcome.

I'd like to hear more about your instructions from the employer.

I'd be a bit more concerned about the quality of instructions, rather than the duration of exposure. I think our novice climber probably has shown a great deal of expertise up in the bucket. Most of the rigging and cutting problems are the same, whether in a bucket or on rope. Obviously, it is easier to cut your rope than to crash your aerial device, but it's not that big a difference in outcome.

I'd like to hear more about your instructions from the employer.
Yeah, my biggest concern is the mindset of the employer, at this point. Throwing a new climber into a tree like that so early is usually a profit over safety mindset... this job is kind of pass fail testing...

I guess it all depends on the novice. With respect to talent set, there isn't much difference between 100' tree between the houses and a 50' tree. Except for fatigue, especially as induced by fear, I personally think it is a lot harder to take out the branches closer to the roofs than far above. But that is my perspective.

Now as to being 80+ feet up on my third day of climbing? I would never have been ready for that. But I went from climbing trees with no training whatsoever to becoming proficient in an aerial device. Climbing with no training whatsoever is NOT the way to learn. And they didn't have much internet back then, either.

Note for removing the tall conifers: A lot of guys like to climb that pole while stripping all the branches off as they go up. Novices that are unaccustomed to spurs tend to leave stubs to stand on, but this just hangs up all the branches when they are coming down on the bull rope. Other guys strip all the branches until they get to the nice big top that they feel comfortable cutting off. If you haven't ever seen this before, those tall pines can throw you around like a bug as the top is released. Just imagine riding the trunk, rather than standing comfy in a bucket truck.

The best way to avoid that wild ride is to leave a bunch of branches on one side, perpendicular to the direction you intend to drop the top. Those branches will dampen the movement, and make it all slow and easy. Then... just keep cutting off chunks and branches as you come back down. Safely, with no wild rides at the top.

I guess it all depends on the novice. With respect to talent set, there isn't much difference between 100' tree between the houses and a 50' tree. Except for fatigue, especially as induced by fear, I personally think it is a lot harder to take out the branches closer to the roofs than far above. But that is my perspective.

Now as to being 80+ feet up on my third day of climbing? I would never have been ready for that. But I went from climbing trees with no training whatsoever to becoming proficient in an aerial. Climbing with no training whatsoever is NOT the way to learn. And they didn't have much internet back then, either.

Note for removing the tall conifers: A lot of guys like to climb that pole stripping branches off as they go up. Novices that are unaccustomed to spurs tend to leave stubs to stand on, but this just hangs up all the branches when they are coming down on the bull rope. Other guys strip all the branches until they get to the nice big top that they feel comfortable cutting off. If you haven't ever seen this before, those tall pines can throw you around like a bug as the top is released. Just imagine riding the trunk, rather than standing comfy in a bucket truck.

The best way to avoid that wild ride is to leave a bunch of branches on one side, perpendicular to the direction you intend to drop the top. Those branches will dampen the movement, and make it all slow and easy. Then... just keep cutting off chunks and branches as you come back down. Safely, with no wild rides at the top.

I always hated buckets, lol. Would have much rather taken the ride on the trunk than the bucket slap...

Eh. That is easy to avoid.

Just plan your exit. Work from the side of the bucket, and then have your hydraulic levers carefully planned so that you have swung away clean before that tree can come back and bust up your equipment.

Notice in my video the guy did nothing, and had plenty of time to move his bucket out of range.

Eh. That is easy to avoid.

Just plan your exit. Work from the side of the bucket, and then have your hydraulic levers carefully planned so that you have swung away clean before that tree can come back and bust up your equipment.

Notice in my video the guy did nothing, and had plenty of time to move out of range.
Yeah, I just never liked buckets or ladders, lol. Just give me a tree...

Back