This Is My Homeade Logsplitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolhawk

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
toolhawk

Heres mine , alot of it was scrap and throw away , square beam 1/2 wall ,all steel , pump was in a lab for testing steel , don't know much about it but it works AWESOME , 13 HP China ???? motor 100.00 on e bay , cylinder and controls, Tractor supply $300.00 , control has auto return , just split 2 cord of 24 inch cherry wood (green ) , wedge machined point , flame hardend and oil quenched , since finished last fall about 10 cord split so far , no failures yet , notice the beam is the resivior , and the hoses and fitting were $$$$

I might have done a few things differently

for what it is worth (my 2 cents).

Interesting idea using the beam for the tank. Since you used square for the beam, I can understand using it for the tank. Only fear is that under extreem stress that welds could crack resulting in a leak.

I always mount the valve in line with the cylinder. Handle direction is intuitive with direction of ram travel. Just a thought towards safety. If someone else is "helping" and they leave a body part in the way.... reaction time is faster this way. I used a "homemade" splitter one time that had it BACKWARDS!!! Don't ask me what happened next.... oops.

I like your tall wedge! Great job on that one! I am under the impression that the cylinder is not mounted centered enough on the pusher. If mounted that low, then the pusher needs much more length and strength to it's guides. You can visualize what the force would be if at the top instead of lower down.

Is that a 5" cylinder? It looks like the same one on my splitter. Speed might be a tad slow, but I like the extra oomph!

-Pat

very good job! nice and neat, good looking welds. the only thing i don't like about it is the valve location. too far away from the work area and it's turned the wrong way. but hey, it's your splitter. nice job

Thanks for the rreply's , I never thought about the direction of vaulve , as for being to far away ? Seems to be perfect , out of the way when loading, can still hold uneven log in place when adding presure ? , 4 way splitter is in the plans next spring , I am planning a add on 4 way there when u want it off when you don't , as for the cylinder mounted low , yes it is but my pusher is on a track on both sides , like a guide so has NEVER been a problem , but should be about 2-3 inches higher to be just right for all logs , Again THANKS FOR ALL THE IMPUTS , I am building a flat bed pick up that will dump and have a mount on the back to carry the splitter , not pull , carry, its a 96 dodge ext. cab 4x4 dually , it getting there , will be done by spring !!!:dizzy:

A lot of good ideas on this splitter.
I did not see a return line hydraulic filter on the pictures. Are you using one? Are you using a strainer on the suction side?

A neighbor of mine did something similar, he had the tank as the beam, and the axle as well. He had the hub mounts welded on the ends of his square tank, and the mounted the wheel up. With the thick walled steell, it was all solid as a rock.
Good job on the project. Where in MI are you? Want to build another? hahah

Latest posts

Back