This little generator can power an electric chainsaw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overtrained

Not crazy, Stoopid!
Reaction score
Wasnt sure where to post this but i bought this ETQ1200 watt generator last year for hurricane irene in a pinch. Of course I didnt loose power at the time and didnt get to use it until a couple of days ago. I had this guy powering a 650watt fridge and my saltwater fish tank setup for 24hrs straight, it didnt skip a beat.

It holds a gallon of 50:1 mix and will run for approx 5-6 hrs straight on one tank depending on the load. Has a 63cc engine with one 115v 60hz outlet and its fairly quiet. Needless to say im impressed being its chinese made. This would work killer on the construction job powering a circular saw etc.....or electric chainsaw if your goofy enough to do that:rock:

2uij49z.jpg

I worry about those cheaper units, and the quality of electricity they put out.

I have a older Honda, and a small Yamaha inverter unit to keep the critical stuff running. And as luck has it, 1 Hurricane and 1 October snowstorm, never lost power, but they kept friends up and running.

I bought one of those. The governor oscillated a little so powering a drop light, the brightness would vary. I figured it was only good for a drop light or electric drill?

I doubt it ran more than 2 hrs total and the coil went out.

NO PARTS available!!!!!

I bought one of those. The governor oscillated a little so powering a drop light, the brightness would vary. I figured it was only good for a drop light or electric drill?

NO PARTS available!!!!!

How long ago was this? I guess its hit or miss with Chinese junk. You weren't as lucky.

NO PARTS available!!!!!

Dont plug the flat screen or laptop into that !
There are plenty of barely "used" QUALITY generators out there. My Honda was a Y2K special. Guy bought it, and then it sat for a few years. My cold hard $$$ spoke volumes for that expensive honda colecting dust.

In my area, After the 2 big storms last year, people are constantly selling generators on craigslist etc with very few hours, like new with box and recipts, for what id say are negotionable prices.

KY = Generator Capitol of the World

...In my area, After the 2 big storms last year, people are constantly selling generators on craigslist etc with very few hours, like new with box and recipts, for what id say are negotionable prices.

I know it isn't, but it sure seems as though every generator made is sitting in a store in KY. We had a severe ice-storm back in '09 mainly the Central to Western areas (South and West of Louisville) and there are still stores that orderd a truck load of generators only to have them arrive the day AFTER the power came back on....

They have been trying to unload them ever sice....

There is a gut at the local flea market that uses one of those 2-stroke generators to power his tools at the fleamarket, he is always working on a saw while trying to sell others.

dw

Have you actually tried runing an electric chainsaw under load with that? I think most are rated at about 2kw so it would be a no-go once you dogged it in I guess. :D

I bought one from a friend of mine that had never used it. The only power tool of mine it can run is an electric drill. I use it for that and to run a water pump when I haul water to put in my catchment tank. So far it's run great, can't really complain for $100.00.

I just bought 3 900W generators off ebay. Barely used and I got all 3, with shipping for 170 bucks total. That's less than 60$ each. I'm giving one away and keeping the other two. Hard to justify almost 2 grand for a 2k watt Honda generator when two of these cost me 120 bucks. They work fine. If they wear out, I can replace them both 10 times and still come out ahead.

Unless you're a contractor or someone who needs a generator all the time, I don't see the sense in buying a premium brand. Save your money for more saws :chainsawguy:

Unless you're a contractor or someone who needs a generator all the time, I don't see the sense in buying a premium brand. Save your money for more saws :chainsawguy:

True. But I always subsctibe to 2 theries.

#1 Overpowered is usually adequate.

#2. Buy it right the first time, and cry over price once. Buy it wrong, you cry every time you try to use it.

Out of curiosity, is there anything out there that is lighter than the Honda generators, and still good quality (clean power for electronics)? It could be 2 stroke for all I care, as long as it's light and won't fry electronics.

Out of curiosity, is there anything out there that is lighter than the Honda generators, and still good quality (clean power for electronics)? It could be 2 stroke for all I care, as long as it's light and won't fry electronics.

How many watts ? Honda and yamaha both have 2000 watt 4 stroke units under 50 pounds.

2000 would be enough. The Honda and Yamaha generators are great- quiet, fairly light, easy to start, ect. However, with an eye towards maximum weight reduction, it seems like they could go a lot farther- 2 stoke motor, less external sound insulation, ect. I'm wondering if there is a decent quality generator that was designed with light weight as the driving factor, and if so, how much lighter it would be than the Honda or Yamaha.

Latest posts

Back