This mornings take

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric_271

ArboristSite King
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
It's mostly Osage orange and these trees came from a 25' radius, blown over and laying on each other. My dad never showed like he said he would so most of my time was spent hooking a chain on and dragging them out to where i could get the forks in the bucket under them to spread them out.:laugh:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
You got all those in one morning??? Now I feel like a slacker. My brother and I only managed to get one maple before football today.

attachment.php

attachment.php

It was a blow down up on the hill where we have been cutting.
attachment.php

We did manage to get it 95% split and even hauled one trailer out. Your morning looks much more productive. Good work!

You got all those in one morning??? Now I feel like a slacker.

I was pretty tired and had plenty of time to limb them but i figured i better ease back into it. Dad is normally there to help but not today. You know it's enough for one day when your saw looks more like barbells than a saw.:laugh:

I say good score for you both!:chainsaw:

For sure. This hedge row's a half mile long, 100 years old and never been side trimmed. We'll be taking every other tree and side trimming an 1/8 mile of it this winter. My goal is 40 heaping wheat truck loads. We usually get 20 loads and it last both house holds 4 to 5 years but i've got a feeling this will be the last time dad cuts so i'm hoping for enough to last an easy 7 or 8 years and you don't have to worry about osage rotting in that time span like most other wood does. It's less than a 1/4 mile from home so we won't spend much hauling it.

Wild turkeys and 1 peacock today

This is as close as they got before they cut through the tree row to go back in the creek area. Can anyone spot the peacock?:laugh:

He's a young male from last years hatch and our old male ran him off so he runs with the turkey's along the creek just inside of this tree row.
attachment.php

I was pretty tired and had plenty of time to limb them but i figured i better ease back into it. Dad is normally there to help but not today. You know it's enough for one day when your saw looks more like barbells than a saw.:laugh:

Those look like a lot of work for the wood, lots of brush and no big logs. Great wood though and I have BTDT. Been so tired I had to force myself to bend over to pick up the small limbing saw for "one more cut before quitting".

Harry K

Dadgum Osage.

Lotsa brush dragging and tripping for a truck load.
Love burning it though!!!

Next year it's gonna be nice come Late January!:cheers:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Nice haul of Osage, also the big maple.
I have a nice long bow that a gentleman made me out of osage. My Father supplies him with Osage and the bow was a gift for all the wood.

Those look like a lot of work for the wood, lots of brush and no big logs.

They can be a ton of work Harry but we have eliminated most by leaving the brush lay where it falls and driving over the logs with the tractor and snagging the brush with the forks pushing it on into the brush pile. That saves on the ripped clothes and cut skin from the thorns as well.

I think growing up in row's like it has may have limited the girth but there are many that i will have to jump side to side with my 20'' bar to hack through. The first 2 this morning are about 30'' diameter. The best part of it is putting 2 or 3 logs in the stove burning near wide open and not having to feed it again for 3 or 4 hours.

Great wood though and I have BTDT. Been so tired I had to force myself to bend over to pick up the small limbing saw for "one more cut before quitting".

Harry K

I try to stop when i feel my self starting to shake. It's a pretty good indicator the next thing i'm getting ready to lop off is my leg.:)

Nice haul of Osage, also the big maple.
I have a nice long bow that a gentleman made me out of osage. My Father supplies him with Osage and the bow was a gift for all the wood.

I'm shooting for 40 wheat truck loads this winter and there's way more than that there. I'm thinking about taking some to the saw mill then doing our living room floor with it. It's beautiful wood and harder than oak.

Starting to get a pile now. This is 4 days of cutting. Pile is about 6' high and close to 40' long.Most all of it is 8' to 12' length This is about a quarter or less of what we will end up with on the hedge row we're cutting on now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Starting to get a pile now. This is 4 days of cutting. Pile is about 6' high and close to 40' long.Most all of it is 8' to 12' length This is about a quarter or less of what we will end up with on the hedge row we're cutting on now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

thats a nice stash of osage you got there

thats a nice stash of osage you got there

Thanks, it feels good also. I should have been out cutting last winter but got lazy. Normally we cut enough to last for 4 years but this year i'm planning on double that or more. You never know who might own that property in a year or two and weather they will let you back in to cut so i'm going to get a little greedy this year.

It's about an 1/8 of a mile from me so it's cheap hauling but with the way Wichita keeps growing towards me i'm sure there will be more competition for the wood as time goes on.

I would have to agree with get it while you can. Never know when it's not your own place.

:cheers:

For sure. There's enough wood left in the creek area to last me the rest of my life and i have the owners blessing to take what i want but she's getting pretty old and i could see things changing with an ownership change.

If i lose that there's no shortage of osage but the distance to cut and haul will really cut into my saving's by burning wood to heat.

Eric, the other nice thing about the osage is it will last just about forever. Last week I found a piece where we hadn't cut in 8 years. It was missed when we cleaned up the pile and 8 years later that piece of split osage is just fine no rot at all.

They are more work to cut with all the limbs I just start cutting at the tips and work my way in chunking anything bigger than an inch for firewood. Even on a big hedge if the trunk has 12' of a log in it it is alot.

Latest posts

Back