This old MAC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abureels4me

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got this in a package deal today and was wondering a few things. First is what model and how old do you think it is? and second is it possible to get a coil for this thing? It seems that it is the only part missing and it has good compression. Even if I never get it going it is a neat old saw for sure.
IMG_0365.jpg

Yep. That's the farmer/homeowner saw brought out by McCulloch to sell at the same price point as the Homelite Buz/500 saws and the Mono/Wards saws (and other similar units). They were built from the early 1960s through 1970 or so IIRC. A few late saws had Walbro SDC carbs. Most (like yours) had the Tillotson HC. That's a simplified, gravity fed version of a Tillotson HL. Uses the same DG-5HL/RK-88HL carb kits. Just doesn't have a pump section (or use the pump diaphragm in the kits). Other saws in this price point used the same carb. My Wards/Mono WD60 has one. The Mac 15 has the 2 port exhaust 80cc McCulloch engine as used in some 1-40series models and the 200. Good, reliable old saw, but with less output than a McCulloch 1-50series or 250. You can use the coil from most any front tank or non-AV top tank McCulloch large frame saw.

Back