This really happened

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just up the road from us last week some guy lost a gas can out of the back of his pick-up. The car following ran over it and it burst into flames. Totaled the car, but I haven't heard if there were any injuries.

Be careful out there:)

People just don't realize how volatile gasoline is, and how dangerous it can be

I hear stories like this, or the countless stories of lost saws and other equipment, and I just have to wonder why people leave tailgates down? Personally, I don't like driving behind pickups with them down. I see junk moving around in the back and just wait for it start falling out. The few times I've done it, the bed was completely empty. And I don't think leaving the tailgate down helps with mileage. I've actually heard just the opposite.

Chris B.

Paint can

I was driving on the Interstate in Illinois and saw this HUGE splatter of paint on the road. It was pretty obvious that someone lost a big can of paint off their vehicle and somebody nailed it. That's a mess I wouldn't want to clean up!

Just up the road from us last week some guy lost a gas can out of the back of his pick-up. The car following ran over it and it burst into flames. Totaled the car, but I haven't heard if there were any injuries.

Be careful out there:)

The currentl generation of yuppies don't know how to keep anything in a pickup these days..............I mean, gas is valuable--ya' know?....

Casey

a few years ago we were following a hay truck stacked atleast 10 feet high out of the bed, every time he would go around a turn a few big square bails would come flying out and we would have to swerve out of the way. the guys driving had absolutely no clue about it either:dizzy:

I was dragging our home made log splitter over to my partner's house (No.. not that kind of partner my log splitter partner) and parts of the road are bumpy and after a while I heard a noise. The gas tank is an old, tough outboard motor tank held down by a rubber strap--most of the time. I had forgotten to strap it down and it bounced out of the mount and dragged along by the line for a hundred yards. By the time I stopped the filler cap had come off and spilled at least 2 gal. on the paved road. The tank was beat up and gouged down to very clean metal. Here's the question. If it had lit, how would one git away?

I hear stories like this, or the countless stories of lost saws and other equipment, and I just have to wonder why people leave tailgates down? Personally, I don't like driving behind pickups with them down. I see junk moving around in the back and just wait for it start falling out. The few times I've done it, the bed was completely empty. And I don't think leaving the tailgate down helps with mileage. I've actually heard just the opposite.

Chris B.

I agree. I never run with the gate down. I keep the spare in the box and I wouldn't want it coming out. The pickup only gets 14 mpg. and I don't think the endgate is going to help much with that.

a few years ago we were following a hay truck stacked atleast 10 feet high out of the bed, every time he would go around a turn a few big square bails would come flying out and we would have to swerve out of the way. the guys driving had absolutely no clue about it either:dizzy:

Seen a big round bale come off a trailer. I don't think tie straps are "optional". Luckily, he was going slow and it didn't cross the road.

I have an almost new Bostich air stapler kit in the plastic box found in the street in front of my house. that's a gain for me. But it could have been through the windshield of some car or motorcycle and killed someone.

I used to canoe a lot. Saw so many canoes held on foam blocks with a rubber tarp tie at each end to the bumpers.

Accidents happen, but people who cause 'accidents' due to irresponsibility should have legal wakeup calls, not just insurance payments.

i now

had some :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: morin in front of me in a motor home he was leaving a trail of human waste down a very twisty mountain road. let just say i was ready to mame the domed idiot when he got to the bottom of the mountain. i had to find a car wash for sure:dizzy:

A few months ago I was on a 4 lane divided highway up near the Twin Cities, when a pretty large rock (It looked like it was about big enough that if you wrapped your arms around it that you could just touch your fingers) fell out of a dump truck, bounced over the 3 or 4 ft high cement dividing median. The truck was in the far left lane and I was in the far right lane. The rock managed to bounce across the two lanes and before I had time to think it was right in front of me. With almost no time to react, I didnt have time to check my mirrors to avoid it one way or the other and just hit the brakes. Fortunately, and God only knows how, it bounced under the car, and only left a small dent in the gas tank. A split second later and it would have went through the radiator or windshield. Scary stuff. Wish I would have seen the name on the truck.

Last edited:
i hit a 5 gal bucket of hydraulic fluid that had fallen on the road. i was following a car, he moved to the turn lane. it was at an intersection where lots of cars veer off of the main road so i didn't think much about his maneuver. it turned out that he was dodging the bucket. it did $2300 of damage to the front end of my accord. the car had a "distinct" fragrance for a while.
many years ago i was following a horse trailer (tag along) on i 285 in atlanta, when it came unhitched. we were in the 2nd lane from the median wall. the trailer made an immediate left turn. the horses never had a chance. the driver had forgotten to close the hitch OR put the safety chains on.
i never take a chance.
i have at least 4 ratchet straps and a wad of bungee cords in the bed of the truck. if the is ANY chance of losing something it gets a strap/cord. lumber, wood, buckets, gas cans..........everything.......and one more pet-peeve: i hate people who use the bed of their truck as a trash can. they know that it will inevitably blow out. they are just to sorry to put their trash in a trash can. beer drinkers are some of the worst. they empty the 12pk into the cooler, then throw the box in the bed. 1/2mi down the road the box is gone. errrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!:censored:

Last edited:
I was on the way to deer hunting a couple of years ago here in Texas and we came up on a Dodge 1 ton hauling a gooseneck flatbed with round bales on it, there were 20+ bales on a 40ft trailer. The load was strapped up pretty good but the back strap either came loose or failed and one bale was hanging off the back of the trailer and about the hit the road. I sped up to get next to the drivers window and after honking and gesticulating wildly the guy finally looks over at me with this horrible scowl. I motioned to the back of the trailer and was yelling about the bale falling off. He looks in the mirror and I guess he didn't see it so he looks back at me and gives me the finger. I was pissed off so I passed him and kept going. We stopped for a pee and coffee break and about 1/2 hour later we came up on the same trailer with about 1/3 the load of bales all over the road. Sometimes the lord really does work in mysterious ways.

You do see some funny stuff being driven around ... I followed a trailer that had a large box-shaped structure on it. A bucket was actually floating in mid-air behind it, in the slipstream behind the box thing. round and round it went, eventually flying out of one side of its airpocket. I'd backed off by then. Another scary moment nearly happened to my father. Following a quarry truck, he spies something odd with the double rear wheels. There's a brick stuck between the tyres, waiting to fly out. I think he went a different way home.

many years ago i was following a horse trailer (tag along) on i 285 in atlanta, when it came unhitched. we were in the 2nd lane from the median wall. the trailer made an immediate left turn. the horses never had a chance. the driver had forgotten to close the hitch OR put the safety chains on.

I have NEVER forgot to put the safety chains on.........but I have forgot to close the hitch on the horse trailers a couple times.......:blush:

Casey

Latest posts

Back